Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Online Store Down?

• 08-01-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Has anyone noticed that the Meteor online store (store.meteor.ie) has been done for over a day now? "site maintenance" doesnt take that long!

Anyone know whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

I had ordered a phone just before the site went down, so called them to see what the story was. Apparently the couriers are not operating until the weather gets better....
    I assume that has something to do with the site being down, they can't provide the service or something.

They didn't hesitate to charge my visa though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭pietromas

captain P wrote: »
    I had ordered a phone just before the site went down, so called them to see what the story was. Apparently the couriers are not operating until the weather gets better....
    I assume that has something to do with the site being down, they can't provide the service or something.

They didn't hesitate to charge my visa though!!

Nah that's bullsh*t. Your third party courier being unable to meet usual delivery commitments during extraordinary weather conditions is not a good enough reason to shut down your online commercial site entirely. Something BIG must be going on for them to stop taking orders or at least showing their range. Theyre hardly folding are they? Anyone been into a store lately? Anything unusual going on there?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ornir

pietromas wrote: »
    Nah that's bullsh*t. Your third party courier being unable to meet usual delivery commitments during extraordinary weather conditions is not a good enough reason to shut down your online commercial site entirely. Something BIG must be going on for them to stop taking orders or at least showing their range. Theyre hardly folding are they? Anyone been into a store lately? Anything unusual going on there?

I was in the Athlone store today, looking to get a phone. They didn't have it in stock and said they didn't know when they'd be getting it back in. Hmmmm. It's strange that the site's been down for so long. 3 days now!

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

I think you're reading too much into this. So the online store isn't open that doesn't mean that they are closing down! The snow is the most likely reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

They are the 3rd biggest network in the country, with 750,000 users in '06 they could have 1 million at this stage. Plus they are owned by Eircom so Im pretty sure they are doing fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 fluffy70

Dman001 wrote: »
    They are the 3rd biggest network in the country, with 750,000 users in '06 they could have 1 million at this stage. Plus they are owned by Eircom so Im pretty sure they are doing fine.
    Aren`t all 3G stores owned by Eircom?
    Eircom closed every 3G store last week,didn`t they???
    Eircom are supposed to be looking for a buyer for Meteor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Are you sure they own the 3G Stores? I dont think they do.
    As of September '08 they have over 1 Million customers. I wouldnt worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I heard that meteor outsource the operation of their online store to a 3rd party company who suddenly went out of business last week. Not sure how true it is but it would explain the store being down. The rest of the meteor website is fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭rizzee

Why don't you ask their site Admins? They're lots of help :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

Sigma Wireless own 3G stores and operate the online store. That must be why the online store is closed. I have an order pending and when I called for an update, contact was made with a Dublin store.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

nazoil wrote: »
    Sigma Wireless own 3G stores and operate the online store. That must be why the online store is closed. I have an order pending and when I called for an update, contact was made with a Dublin store.

That's it...sigma operate 3G stores and Meteor online store. Think they are in trouble...hence 3G stores closed and Meteor online store is down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭brendanuk

suppose thats what happens when you outsource. Must be losing a packet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 sml68

Anyone know what the possible outcome would be for someone on a meteor contract if they folded?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

+1.
    I dount very much that Meteor are folding!

They are owned by eircom, who in turn are owned by a HUGE company from Singapore.

Just got this off a confirmation email when I bought there last week:

Meteor Online Store is a business name of Sigma Telecom Ireland (No. 281283), having its' registered address at McKee Avenue, Finglas, Dublin 11 which is the manager and contracting party in respect of this site.

Sigma Telecom Ltd is the leading distributor for mobile and digital lifestyle product and accessories in the Irish market. Sigma Telecom is the exclusive fulfilment and significant channel development partner for Meteor and eircom.

A particular strength is the ability to support the web based activities of our partners and today we provide next day fulfilment and logistics to end users throughout Ireland. Sigma Telecom manages a significant portfolio of independent dealers on behalf of 3 Ireland.

Still waiting for my order to be delivered. 1905 are blaming the weather!!

Luckily I received the packet yesterday.

3G Mobile liquidation hits Sigma Telecom
    Friday, 15 January 2010 18:12

Mobile phone retailer 3G Mobile has gone into voluntary liquidation after attempts to secure new investment in the business failed.

Earlier this month, the chain confirmed the temporary closure of all its stores in Ireland. The company had 27 stores nationwide and employed 160 staff.

A statement from 3G Mobile chief executive Tony Boyle said the move was unavoidable, blaming extremely high rents and inflexible leases at a time of difficult economic conditions. The chain has stores in many leading shopping centres and prime city centre locations.
    Advertisement

Mr Boyle also said that, as a result of the liquidation, Ulster Bank had been asked to appoint a receiver to 3G Mobile's distribution company Sigma Telecom, putting 115 jobs in jeopardy.

Sigma Telecom, which distributes mobile, fixed and broadband products, was 3G Mobile's main creditor and guaranteed a number of its leases.

Mr Boyle, who also heads Sigma Telecom, said that Sigma Wireless Communications, which provides communications products for the emergency services, would not be affected by today's developments.

3G Mobile has no link to the 3 mobile phone network, which is owned by Hutchison Whampoa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 creamteam

MOBILE PHONE retail chain 3G was wound up yesterday and a bank has taken control of its shareholder Sigma Telecom after the troubled business failed to find a rescuer.
    The mobile phone and wireless equipment retailer closed “temporarily” last week as its management continued the search for new investors to rescue the business.
    Sigma Telecom has lost one of its biggest customers, Meteor, for which it distributed mobile phones and other equipment. The network’s parent, Eircom, said last night that Meteor has appointed RCI Radius as its new distributor.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kissmiss

Just to let you know:
    I worked for Sigma Telecom for years and now everything is gone. And it's not only Sigma Telecom but Sigma Fonefix also ;-(((((. Yesterday, Friday 15th, one guy from Ulster Bank came over and said: that's it, thank you, all of you.
    Even now, I'm still thinking about that and I really can't believe it's over.
    Meteor dont like us any more, Eircom took back it's money from 3G Mobile and we're done. Nothing left. It's sad that happend so fast, just one day.
    Anyway, if you have problems with Online Returns, just ring Meteor or go to any Meteor Shop - they would help you. This same about phones bought from 3G stores - Meteor is taking them back. Unfortunately, with new company you'll not get such a proffesional service as you got from Sigma.
    So, time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I notice this is still down
    Sorry, we are having ongoing problems with our online
    store. We will have them sorted soon. In the meantime,
    you can still buy from Meteor from one of our 39
    retail stores. To find your nearest store click here.

Very annoying because i imagine a lot of people would go to that page just to see what phones meteor have available in store, looks like they have'nt realised that..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Zonda999 wrote: »
    I notice this is still down

Very annoying because i imagine a lot of people would go to that page just to see what phones meteor have available in store, looks like they have'nt realised that..

Its a pain in the arse. I want to buy the hero but would prefer to do it on line but can't even check out prices or anything

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

godtabh wrote: »
    Its a pain in the arse. I want to buy the hero but would prefer to do it on line but can't even check out prices or anything

Yeah me too. It's been down for weeks too. Making me doubt switching to a network that can't even sort out their online store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Shane O' Malley

Yeah me too. It's been down for weeks too. Making me doubt switching to a network that can't even sort out their online store.

Best go down to one of their stores.

My information is that it will be awhile before they are up and running again. Just got new designers in.

Also have a problem with supply of phones. LG ans Samsung not available at the moment.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

the distance selling thing is why I want to but it on line

I see that someone here is saying that the RCI Radius have taken over the running of the Meteor Online Shop that Sigma used to run. Check out the website of RCI radius ( www.rci.ie ) for a BIG LAUGH!!!

Are you affiliated in anyway with Sigma Telecom or anyone else to do with this?

Because you seem to have registered just to slate RCI Radius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I suppose that there is a different standard of website for a dealer account site and a site that is going to be selling to the public.

Mind you, the competition isn't too hot either! Anyone send SMS messages from O2 recently?

Wildefalcon.

Advertisement