Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water supplies and frozen pipes...

Options
  • 08-01-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Just a possibility....

Not sure what the story is for tonight in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, as tried ringing them and was on hold for 30 mins to no end. However was told by the emergency services that the flow from the reservoir had been turned off last night until this morning as levels were too low. So presumably the same can be expected again tonight.

Ironically it's apparently due to people leaving their taps flowing all night to prevent pipes freezing and bursting... and now there will be no water to run through external pipes.... ;/

I only know as my pipes have been frozen for two days and wanted to know if it was a general problem.... Not unique, but yes independent!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Hmmm... no water problems around Blackrock and haven't heard of any either. Hopefully they'll get it flowing again soon for ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 2can

My grandfather house in Mount merrion has been destroyed by a burst pipe. Water has been flowing all through the night. The place will have to be gutted, very sad. A good idea is to leave your attic roof entrance open so the heat from the house can rise up into the attic and hopefully keep it from freezing. Dont make the mistake we made or you will have a right headache!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭fuelinjection

My cold water tap doesn't work. :(

Am not a plumber but I think that the supply is frozen. I can't drink the hot water or shower in it, so I can see me entering Mad Max country soon.
    Civilisation breaks down.

Maybe time to chain John Gormley to a jeep and go raid some oilwells in Mayo/..

• Registered Users Posts: 23 maryd26

youch! that's terrible for your grandfather 2can! We were very lucky as nobody was in the house for Christmas but we had left the heat on on a timer to minimise the risk of burst pipes.... now have no water to expand!

As for your frozen pipes fuelinjection, if you know where your mains enter the house and can find the stopcock or the like a plumber may be able to defrost the pipe through using a blowtorch on it (our plumber wasn't able to help as the pipe goes from the house firectly underground;/) or you could try pouring warm (not boiling) water on it. Beware that your tank will slowly empty so you might want to connect a hose up to a neighbour's garden pipe or the like and have it go into your tank-I have a family friend around the corner who I've been getting drinking and ordinary water from, as well as large purchases from Super Valu! No car, so was pushing 10 litres around in my friend's pram!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭mad DIY

Water appears to be off in Terenure tonight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

No water here in Churchtown either since around 4 o'clock. Have stocked up with bottles from the local Super Valu but aint looking fwd to getting washed tomorrow morning.

When the recession started I used to joke that we'd soon be eating dogs and fighting over water. I fear the second part of that prediction may be about to come true !

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0112/1224262120716.html

Either the person I spoke to on the phone last week wasn't accurate, or else the paper isn't.... but either way the restrictions are spreading. Presumably it will last until the frost goes, people stop leaving the water on or the leaks or fixed...

Saying that...I'd put up with some water at any stage of the day! :)

Update re DLR area: water is going to be on from 7-9a.m. and 5-7 p.m. to conserve water supplies.

We finally got some water today!:) But now the pressure is too low to reach our tank and fill it:rolleyes: good exercise going up and down to the attic though with the buckets:)

(oh the restrictions are until probably at least the weekend they reckon)

Advertisement