Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light in the attic

Options
  • 08-01-2010 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I wish to install a light in the attic; what is the easiest way?

I have an attic stair via trapdoor and the landing light is right beside this

alternatively, how easy is it to extend power (i.e. install plug sockets) to attic?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055135432&highlight=tape

there is info there about getting the permanent live (if present) from the landing light to the attic. Hopefully the cables are unrestricted and you can pull a new cable in.

also hopefully there is a neutral and earth at the ceiling rose in a bedroom, one that you can get to easily. This will give you live neutral and earth to the attic light. I suggest that of there is a permanent live on the landing switch that you change this switch form a single, or twin to a twin or 3 way switch. there will be a permanent live on the switch for the upstairs bathroom if that is any use to you.

Please note all the advice on powering down the MCBs etc and getting an electrician if you are worried about if from the linked thread.

Getting power can be tricky, it may also be handy, are there any sockets on partition walls that would could get a route to the attic for. Its all about the route to the attic really in relation to the nearest upstairs socket.

A route directly from the board will work too, but usually this is more difficult.

I'm assuming that this is a normal house and that one extra socket and light won't over do things. And that the socket is for a light load, internet modems etc.

If you are unsure take some pics and ask us more questions or get an electrician, best of luck. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

What we have is a light fitting that clips onto a rafter and the cord just has a plug on the end of it.
    This is a really simple solution and is just as effective as a hard wired install, with the added advantage that the light can be moved around if needed. For power, you could just leave an extension reel up there, and use it as required. Basically, when we close up the attic hatch, we just leave a small loop of cable that can be hooked down with the rod for opening the hatch the next time, then plugged in and the light comes on.

This is only really suitable where the attic is a storage area, rather than any kind of a usable room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

masseyno9 wrote: »
    What we have is a light fitting that clips onto a rafter and the cord just has a plug on the end of it. .

yeah thats what i am doing at present, might well be enough for now

Advertisement