Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Insurance issue

Options
  • 08-01-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭

I was just talking to a freind of mine who has brought a faulty screen back to pc world together with the documentation for the insurance policy which was taken out for four years on his computer (PC not Laptop). They told him that the screen was NOT covered under the insurance and he would have to buy a new one instead. I find it difficult to belive given that they were sold the policy under the premise that even if they spilt a drink on the computer it would be covered. Doesn't that mean that at least the keyboard would be covered??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

He'll need to check carefully what the wording of the original agreement was. Does it say that it only covers the PC chassis, and not the monitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

I am due to go back to his house this evening to set up the new screen. I will read the entire documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I had insurance for a PC from PC world previously, it did not cover monitor

Riskymove wrote: »
    I had insurance for a PC from PC world previously, it did not cover monitor

Thats a shame Riskymove. Did it say that in the policy documentation. I bet they made it absolutely clear to you what was not covered when they sold it to you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Read the small print carefully, the monitor might be covered for accidental damage ;) and if you dropped it while moving it and the screen was cracked that would be accidental ;).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that ttm. I am mgoing to head up now and plug in his new monitor. I will take a look a the "fine print" and see exactly what it says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭mack flyer

dont buy anything from pc world...simple..

ok guys. I have the coverplan here now. On the product description it has COMPAQ SR5079 PRESARI at a cost of €405 just for the coverplan for five years. It does not say anything ANYWHERE on the coverplan that the screen is not covered.

ok guys. I have the coverplan here now. On the product description it has COMPAQ SR5079 PRESARI at a cost of €405 just for the coverplan for five years. It does not say anything ANYWHERE on the coverplan that the screen is not covered.

But who does it tell you to contact in the case of a claim?

ttm wrote: »
    But who does it tell you to contact in the case of a claim?

There is a dublin phone number on the plan. I have left it with them anyway. I am not too sure if they are going to take it further - I know i would. When they went to the store with the screen the tech guy was ver apologetic and gave them 50 euro off the price of the new monitor bringing it down to 100 euro. He said that they should have been told from the start that the screen would not be convered (he also tried to sell them a new insurance plan for the new screen!).

• Advertisement

Some of these "policies" are just insurance polices so just call the number and do whatever you need to do to make a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Used to work for them. Thankfully no more. What they do is class your monitor and your machine seperately. You are only covered for the machine and not the monitor unless you have insurance on your screen. If your not sure you could email me your reciept and I could check for you. It's up to you. But generally what they did was explain that everything was covered even though the screen wasn't. It is only covered on laptops as they are part of the one unit.

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Used to work for them. Thankfully no more. What they do is class your monitor and your machine seperately. You are only covered for the machine and not the monitor unless you have insurance on your screen. If your not sure you could email me your reciept and I could check for you. It's up to you. But generally what they did was explain that everything was covered even though the screen wasn't. It is only covered on laptops as they are part of the one unit.

Good point, but if it was me I'd argue that I'd bought a complete system as priced on the Self Edge Label/Promotion/Advert so if the monitor was part of that price and I'd bought insurance then I'd expect the whole lost covered unless there were specific exclusions.

And €405 thats taking the P1SS! I'd expect next day onsite swap out for that sort of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Massive Muscles

If it is a faulty screen ask for a repair or replacement under the sale of goods acts. Insurance is a scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

ttm wrote: »
    Good point, but if it was me I'd argue that I'd bought a complete system as priced on the Self Edge Label/Promotion/Advert so if the monitor was part of that price and I'd bought insurance then I'd expect the whole lost covered unless there were specific exclusions.

And €405 thats taking the P1SS! I'd expect next day onsite swap out for that sort of money.

I know what your saying. But beleive me when I say this, they won't see it like you or me. It's the company policy and not any of the staffs fault. I'll be honest, I don't think they will entertain you. And yes their insurance is a complete rip off!

Advertisement