Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

overclocking cpu due to the freeze!

Options
  • 08-01-2010 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭

ok, its freezing outside, and its freezing inside! (student accomodation!)

currently have my qx6700 running at 3.4ghz and temps are

idle 8oC
    stressed 25oC

id like to try push it some more!

my motherboard is an asus p5q deluxe with a v8 cooler.
    corsair 800d case and a 5770 gpu.

id also like to overclock the gpu.

so starting with the cpu, what should i do?
    i had no problem pushing it from 2.ghz to 3.4ghz by simply increasing the fsb but i dont think thats gonna do it to get any higher.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Komplett-Tech: Ryan

increase voltages, and push higher ;)*

*This will void your warranty

Oh and hurry up with the build pictures :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

ok, its freezing outside, and its freezing inside! (student accomodation!)

My Q6600 B3 gets clocked up to 3ghz for the same reason :-)

It really does help warm a room!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

uberpixie wrote: »
    My Q6600 B3 gets clocked up to 3ghz for the same reason :-)

It really does help warm a room!:D
    Mines running at 3.3, it's a G0 though, nothing better than a quad to keep the toes toasty :o:pac:

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

idle 8oC
    stressed 25oC

80 degrees Celsius idle?! :eek:

And 250 degrees Celsius is just taking the mickey! :P

Hey! At least I'm trying to save the planet! My E5200 rig uses less power than my monitor! :P

nottoasty.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Solitaire wrote: »
    80 degrees Celsius idle?! :eek:

And 250 degrees Celsius is just taking the mickey! :P

Hey! At least I'm trying to save the planet! My E5200 rig uses less power than my monitor! :P

ugh lol no.

8 degree's celcius! not 80! i tried to find a symbol for the small o beside the big C when writing celcius! :p

its running at 8 degree's celcius and 25 degree's under load!

• Advertisement

its running at 8 degree's celcius and 25 degree's under load!

Phase change cooler?! When you say "load", do you mean Intel burn test or just 100% cpu?

First things first with the cpu. NEVER use "auto" settings for any voltage in bios. When you increase just fsb or Vcore and leave other settings (pll, vterm, Vmch, Vdimm) the mobo will massively overvolt these resulting in a degraded cpu (and/or dangerously overvolted ram) over time.
    Assuming you have these settings on auto, first step will be to find intel specs for the qx6700 and get your current oc stable within the intel specs. Then aim for the moon with your oc! The p5q overclocks like there is no tommorrow, enjoy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

david7536 wrote: »
    Phase change cooler?! When you say "load", do you mean Intel burn test or just 100% cpu?

First things first with the cpu. NEVER use "auto" settings for any voltage in bios. When you increase just fsb or Vcore and leave other settings (pll, vterm, Vmch, Vdimm) the mobo will massively overvolt these resulting in a degraded cpu (and/or dangerously overvolted ram) over time.
    Assuming you have these settings on auto, first step will be to find intel specs for the qx6700 and get your current oc stable within the intel specs. Then aim for the moon with your oc! The p5q overclocks like there is no tommorrow, enjoy :)

thanks dave. ill look into the volts settings tonight.

im using a v8 cooler. nothing special tbh. just seems to keep everything very cold!
    and when i say load, its under heavy load! im using something similiar to the burn test to bench the cpu.

thanks dave. ill look into the volts settings tonight.

im using a v8 cooler. nothing special tbh. just seems to keep everything very cold!
    and when i say load, its under heavy load! im using something similiar to the burn test to bench the cpu.

Those temps are fantastic then! Will help wih stability, but good to remember a system that is stable at winter unheated room ambient might not be stable at higher ambient under load.
    How did you get on with setting voltages?

Advertisement