Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal solid internal door for painting???

• 08-01-2010 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭

Hi,

What type of solid internal door would people recommend for painting a smooth off white satin or matte finish.

Would knotty pine be ok or would clear pine or oak veneer be better or is theire any other door types to consider for the same result?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

any painters, carpenters or diy people available to advise would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 joinerydivision

Hi Gerry,

I'm a carpenter, not a painter, so maybe get a 2nd opinion, but I know from fitting doors (that have then gone on to be painted) that the pine ones should be fine, and with a decent undercoat used first, should have a lovely finish when you are done. Satinwood tends to look nicer than gloss when painted onto pine.

I dont think veneer is great for absorbing the paint, it can leave a messy finish. My customers have told me that B&Q are really helpful with non-trade people (I also find them very helpful to us tradesment too) so perhaps pop down to your local one and ask the question, they should definitely be able to recommend which paint will work on which door.

Hope that helps,
    Lee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

thanks joinerydivision,

I was looking at some of the big diy companies websites and the pine doors are a good price at the min.

Advertisement