Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ryan Tubridy's Guests

• 08-01-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭

Lately I have been getting a little bored at the guest list on The Tubridy Show. If someone told me his producer calls to the canteen on his way in and sees who is hanging around for a chat I would belive it. This week we had , Charlie Bird, Dave Fanning, David Coleman, John Quinn, Amy Huberman and Katherine Thomas, at least one every day. Is there no one else in Ireland to talk to. Ryan is a great broadcaster I have listened to him for years from his days as a reporter and his stint on 2FM's Breakfast Show. He always seemed to be improving and take delight in learning. I have heard him talk to lots of unknowns and make their stories interesting. Why on my way to work when Morning Ireland sign off do I now wonder which talking RTE head Ryan will bore me with today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

I quite enjoyed his chat with Chris Evans today. In general I think his quest do be very good and he seems to connect with them fairy well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Enjoyed Evans as well but he usually gives good interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Chris Evans as always was good to listen to. Didn't realise he hung around the RTÉ canteen :) :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Hmmm............ the auld Flutther was listening to Amy Hubermann the other morning and in fairness was a tad hungover having ingested quite a few cans of Stella the previous evening and to be perfectly honest was incubating a fairly big bolus due to 'pop' circa 1100.

Amy nearly came through the fcuking radio at me !!!!! wall to wall enthusiasm!!

She was so positive and ebullient and enthusiastic a guest that the auld Flutt had to stick a cocktail stick in himself to check if he was still alive!!

Are these bnts programmed before the show to sound as if they just won the Lotto, or is it a prerequisite of radio interviews, that they push themselves so much that they sound ..well.... a bit false??

Maybe it's just me and the cold 'snap'.:D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Are these bnts programmed before the show to sound as if they just won the Lotto, or is it a prerequisite of radio interviews, that they push themselves so much that they sound ..well.... a bit false??

No flutt, shes getting hitched to the best rugbyist in the world ever, making a packet from selling chick-lit dross to gullible folk of the female persuasion, and shes on TV too. Why wouldnt she be super-happy!

• Advertisement

Well I never thought of it that way.

You are so right it hurts.Fair play to you.

Now I know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Has anyone ever heard Tubbers talking in real life?

Does he use the same stoppy starty way of speaking. The man is obviously intelligent but his way of speaking dumbs him down IMO.

The only reason I listen to him is because I live in the stick and its either him or G Ryan or D'arcy or failing that the death notices on the local radio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Yeah, that "stoppy starty" thing and his over confidence really irritates me and has me reaching for that dial every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I don't think the problem is with his guest's it with tubs.

He tries to be everything to everyone.

He should take a leaf out of pat kenny' book, pat knows he's a bit of a boring sod and sticks to that and it works well.

tubs is under some illusion he's hip and funny, he's not, and it gets a bit cringy when he tries really hard to connect to some guests when it's just not possible. he should take a step back, listen and let the interviee get on with it.

tubs at heart is a dorky; geeky, nerd and should stick to that persona

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Tubs's problem is the same a G. Ryan's; they can't handle people more famous than them. Evans was easy as Evans knows the radio and what people expect from guest so entertains away on his own bat. However when Tubs pulls in a big international star that needs to be teased out of their shell then he struggles under the weight of his own ego. It's as though he's uncomfortable when the balance of attention and viewers curiousity is shifted to the star.
    I put a bit of this down to be being a rather un-worldly chap. He strikes me as having a scholarly education of the world outside Ireland rather than any life experiences taken from it. He's insular. And only comfortable within that bubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭INCONFIDENCE

I see Aongus was up and about early this week. The interview with the little people was thoughtful and probing and entertaining. Download the Pod cast . The item on rare books interesting. See there is not always the need to check the canteen for an RTE spoofer.Very interesting yesterday when Ryan said he sometimes wished he could get 20 mins in traffic to get stuck into a book .....or did I misunderstand him.........Hello Conor Faughnan what do you make of that or are you having your hair done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Yeah, that "stoppy starty" thing and his over confidence really irritates me and has me reaching for that dial every time.

And dont forget his metaphors. I find him unbearable on the radio.

If it wasnt for him and Ronan Collins, I could leave the dial on RTE from 7am to 7pm. Well maybe get Mary Wilson off drivetime as well. I gave her the opportunity to grow into the job but she's just not a good radio presenter.

I see Aongus was up and about early this week. The interview with the little people was thoughtful and probing and entertaining. Download the Pod cast . The item on rare books interesting. See there is not always the need to check the canteen for an RTE spoofer.Very interesting yesterday when Ryan said he sometimes wished he could get 20 mins in traffic to get stuck into a book .....or did I misunderstand him.........Hello Conor Faughnan what do you make of that or are you having your hair done.

No, that's what he said.

Are you suggesting that our man Conor is erm.. 'good with colours' ??

I certainly am not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,508 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Don't mind Tubridy, but I thought the interview with the little people was bordering on the level of Alan Partridge. The first five minutes where he was repeatedly asking how they referred to their stature was cringe inducing. Incredibly awkward stuff. It reminded me of that scene in The Office when Brent is trying to figure out the difference between Dwarfs, little people and elves.

Yes, he overdid the PC bit.

Condescending i think is the word.

Advertisement