Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Airsoft Sniper - Serial - Part 4

Options
  • 08-01-2010 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭

The Airsoft Sniper Serial – Part 4

Fieldcraft – Part two

The basic seven principals of camouflage and concealment are a foundation for Infantry and sniper Fieldcraft. Alone, they aid the concealment of the individual in a single position. However, when moving there are a multitude of tactical concerns a sniper should apply which can reduce visibility to enemy forces: Useful if you don’t want to get shot.

Movement

How does one move? It entirely depends on the level of cover afforded to you by your surroundings. Walking upright, when the only cover in sight, is a low wall, is rather silly… remember the part about silhouetting? Apply it… A sniper does not have to crawl everywhere, but consideration of your environment will reduce those red welts you have to explain to your boss on Monday mornings.

Walk

There are several methods of movement, firstly, walking… I’ll be brave, and assume that all of you out there can manage that one…. However how you walk is quite important. Foot placement reduces noise, something Airsofters in general have no concept of it seems. When walking, watch not only ahead, but the ground below also. Place your foot, heel first, and then lower the toes. Avoid stepping on twigs; the classic SNAP is somewhat revealing.
    Crouch (No, not the lanky footballer)

Crouching can improve concealment when the surrounding cover cannot afford you the ability to impersonate George Washington. Bending low, is sometimes enough to conceal yourself, although often it too is unsuitable. So what can you do?
    Crawl

I think we all manage this one quite early on in development. But get in touch with your inner toddler again… Crawling on all fours is a very practical and efficient way to move distances behind low cover. It’s often best to sling your rifle underneath you, strapped tight to your chest during these times. Wearing it on your back can inadvertently silhouette you once more….

Another modification of this is the monkey craw: With rifle held in one hand, generally, the off hand, crawl as before, but on only one front support. It is easier to do this sat further back on your haunches. Suitable for when closing on the enemy and approaching a firing position with deep cover where a slung rifle is impractical. It’s more tiring, but equally as appropriate for the cover level.

Leopard Crawl

Crawling on all fours on your belly is one of the most iconic and recognised ways to crawl. It offers the lowest signature to the horizon, perfect for low dead ground and shallow cover. It is also the most suitable way to approach a firing position close to the enemy. But how do you bring your rifle with you? There are two options that I have found work best. At a milsim game, where I’m carrying an assault rifle, or using my sniper rifle in its drag bag. I tie a five meter length of Para cord to the drag bag base, and to my wrist in a slip noose that can be readily removed. Moving forward into position, the sniper will ‘drag’ their rifle forwards, remove it and set up: Great for slow games, where the pace allows this. A more economical approach is to hold the rifle by its sling, at the front, where the strap meets the front sling mount. This allows one to comfortably drag the rifle by their side as they crawl and bring the rifle into position with the minimum of fuss.

The best way to find comfortable, efficient ways of moving are to experience them first hand. Don’t be afraid of what the neighbours think if you go crawling around your garden one evening dressed as a bush. They are probably axe murdering inbreed swingers, so feel safe in the knowledge that you are not as weird as they. Try out different levels, methods of carrying your rifle, and experiment with how long you can use each method. It will stand you in good stead on the skirmish field.

The one tip I won’t overemphasise, is the use of a sling for the rifle. A simple, two point, canvas sling is worth its weight in gold. Preferably one that is easily adjustable. Using this can also aid stability in the standing and kneeling positions when firing, but more on that later.

Sounds

As much as you may be waiting for your friend to text you the football results while you run around the woods playing Carlos Hathcock on a Sunday afternoon, don’t take your mobile phone into the field with you. It can get lost, broken, or may just plain give you away… If you really must, put it on silent. Just picture what will happen when a patrol hears a bush starts ringing like the Spinosaur in Jurassic park three; it won’t be pretty. This is one I learned from extremely bitter experience: Late at night in the wilds of Brecon, I was organising sections for an ambush at a road junction. As we lay silently in the LUP (lying up position). My mobile phone’s alarm clock went off… I had set it for three am, our scheduled wakeup time the previous day before heading out. In barracks… that’s grand. But the muted swearing and sheer embarrassment and abuse received ensured it never happened again. That will teach me for being a heavy sleeper…

Radio gear is another concern: Always use headsets with radios in the field. Can’t afford one? Turn it off, and use when clear. The sound will be unmistakable, and Murphy guarantees it will happen when a patrol walk past.
    Human Signs

I, as a smoker, feel the pain of this next suggestion at times… When in the field, operating, do not smoke. The smell is distinctive, and travels relatively freely, whether it’s a crafty fag in the safe zone, or one behind a tree out of harms way… the smell may give you away later. I hope I don’t have to tell you not to have a fag while in position…. Do I?
    Other scents, such as deodorant, soap, and perfumes/colognes can reveal your location. This may seem somewhat extreme, but I believe if a job is worth doing, one does it to the best of one’s ability… no half measures: It will pay off one day.

Be careful when choosing a position to be comfortable: Cramp, or cold, or native wildlife can force you to move and reveal yourself. Either have extreme self discipline, or make sure you choose wisely, and ensure comfort. This leads rather appropriately on to my favourite section.
    Location, Location, Location (Woodland)

You, the sniper, have now reached a location close enough to the enemy to perform your task; but where do you choose to perform this final deed? The choice can make or break a job… Why you are there, will help to decide this.
    Observation

Your role is simply to look… to watch. Take advantage of human eyesight, and position yourself as far away as possible from the target, while still maintaining a clear view. Your telescopic sight has a zoom feature. While I recommend keeping it set to 3x for firing, the other fun settings make observation at range a doddle. The advantages of using a longer range mean the human eye is less likely to notice movement, and your concealment will be infinitely more effective.

When selecting a location, choose a position you will be able to remain in for an extended period of time. However long this may be. Prone positions are comfortable, but a seated position will be more comfortable if available concealment is present. It is possible to use vegetation, such as fallen logs, or tree branches to support the weapon in these instances.

Target Neutralisation (Shooting people)

Your purpose here is to hit the enemy: This involves closing the distance between the two of you. However tempting it is to go for that long range hit, it increases the chance of failure. Suck up your ego, and move in till you are certain you will hit your target, and then you are ready to fire. Here, stealth is a key concern. You are actively stalking the target, and regardless of their awareness state, treat them as if they are constantly observing your direction. Move slowly, deliberately, and quietly. A good method of movement, although laborious, is to move with the wind, and only as much as surrounding foliage. While extreme, the close range nature of Airsoft means it’s far easier to see a target, and movement is easier still to pick up in the corner of vision.

Approach the position in a low leopard crawl, and be aware of your target, but do not fixate. Fixating on the target ahead can stop you seeing threats to either side. Your most important sense here is not sight, but sound. Stop, listen, and move…
    Choosing Position

The most suitable, stable and practical position for shooting is the prone position. It reduces your signature, and keeps you bellow the sight line. Here is a tip for the counter sniper: It’s easy to scan a wood line quickly. But the human brain will fixate at roughly human height, and that of a crouching human: It’s an instinct built in. When searching for snipers, keep your vision low, and methodical. Your own movements may alert him to your search. If he is unaware of your presence, he may give himself away by moving when ‘visible’ threats are not watching. Natural breaks in foliage are a practical choice for the sniper. The amateur will chose the obvious, easy to reach positions. They think directly. As with a lot of disciplines, those with some training, or that think they have training and experience are the easiest to pick off. They make obvious choices and decisions, and operate as per the textbook. The dangerous amateur and the professional operate randomly, and do things that are unexpected. As the counter sniper, and the sniper, you should be aware of not only your own role, but the enemy’s. As the sniper, do something unpredictable. Choose an improbable location. As the counter sniper: Check them all.

Choosing your position is of vital importance. Isolated cover is often a dead giveaway. It offers very little cover for escape, and draws the eye. Position yourself in good, constant cover where possible. But also be prepared to do something radical: Positioning yourself, in the open in long grass, about five to ten meters away from that isolated cover I told you to stay away from is almost better than an invisibility cloak. The eye is drawn to the cover, not to you. Moderate ability with concealment will ensure your continued survival in such a situation.

While I don’t recommend it till more experienced, sometimes doing the most obvious thing in the world is the best option. With relatively aware and experienced enemy. That isolated dangerous cover becomes your best friend. “He would never be there….” See my train of logic?

In position, try not to modify the local vegetation. The astute counter sniper or enemy will have memorised the tree line, or vegetation pattern of an area, and obvious changes become sure signs of enemy presence. Again, to the counter sniper, this is a very simple way of catching the enemy. Position yourself behind natural cover, and use natural gaps to fire and sight through. Shadow, and distance from the foliage also aid this. Being several meters back, in shadow, and firing through a small gap renders the sniper practically invisible. If you need to rely on your ghillie suit, or rifle camouflage, you have already lost.

After taking your shot. You need to leave quickly. When approaching the position, plan your route out. You will have less time, and a highly alert enemy behind you. Move like you mean it. Fire one, or possibly two shots from a position before moving on, I use this as an vague rule of thumb, but will assess the situation on the ground. Shooting a lone enemy and hitting him, will reduce the danger. However, hitting one of a patrol increases the risk, so aim for valuable people like support guns, marksmen and officers, and you increase your chances. Never stay for a stand up fight: You will lose.

Never expose yourself to the enemy during exfiltration. It’s tempting to just get up and run, but a methodical, stealthy retreat will benefit you more if he is certain of your location. If the bbs start flying, then you can run…

The most important things to remember about choosing location and routes in and out of that location, are your enemy, and surroundings. Think on your feet, and modify patterns and behaviour. Never use the same type of position twice. The enemy become aware to avoid fallen logs when they always get shot from one.

The most important advice I can give, to you, regardless of role, is to understand that of your enemy. I have mentioned several times the point of view of the counter sniper and sniper in this article. And it’s impossible to tech one without the other. Know your enemy’s role, and techniques, and tactics if you are to effectively combat him, or as the sniper, to out hunt the hunter. Knowledge is power.

Part Five: Location, Location, Location: Out on the Town

Hey folks, Part four here. I hope you enjoy this, more to follow soon.
    Firekitten

Advertisement