Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin collections in Lucan

• 08-01-2010 5:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭

Hi

Does anyone know what the situation is with bin collections in the Castle Riada Drive area of Lucan? We normally have a collection on Thursdays but due to the bad weather there has not been one for the last 2 weeks.

The SDCC website doesn't give much info and their offices close early on a Friday!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a customer service section on the website. They are usually quick to come back. http://www.sdublincoco.ie/index.aspx?pageid=1279

http://www.sdcc.ie/
    Disruption to Waste Collection Services

Due to the present weather conditions Ballymount Civic Amenity is open today Friday 8th January 2010 from 12.00 noon.

In respect of waste collection services for Friday 8th of January, the Council intends having a normal collection.

The situation will be constantly reviewed in line with prevailing weather conditions.

South Dublin County Council wishes to advise that customers whose normal grey bin collection is on Monday will receive a collection on Saturday 9th January. This is due to some areas being missed because of weather conditions. We would appreciate if you could bring this to the attention of neighbours and friends

Customers should continue to check this site for updates.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=418&Itemid=193%3E
    Disruption to Grey Bin Service

All grey bin collections have been suspended today, Thursday 7th January 2010 due to adverse weather conditions.

Bin collections over the coming days will be subject to weather conditions.

http://environment.southdublin.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=420&Itemid=193
    Disruption to Green Bin Collections

Green bin collections have also been affected by the adverse weather conditions. Detailed information can be found at www.greenbin.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Hi Victor,

Thanks for that customer service link. Hopefully I will get some information regarding this.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

They seem to be getting around slowly but surely. My collection is normally friday,but last friday being new years day they were due saturday instead. They never came around at all. They finally came around today around 12.00,a bit later than normal. I'd leave your bin out,they may try get around tomorrow(saturday).

Problem solved.........my bin was stolen and burnt out......

Apparently a few others in the area have been taken recently too. Apparently kids use them to keep warm while they are playing in the snow!

Does anyone know if there is a charge for a replacement bin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I have heard of several such incidents in the area. Happened to us a couple of years ago and they did charge for a replacement AND it took several weeks to get one.

• Advertisement

Trojan00 wrote: »
    Problem solved.........my bin was stolen and burnt out......

Apparently a few others in the area have been taken recently too. Apparently kids use them to keep warm while they are playing in the snow!

Does anyone know if there is a charge for a replacement bin?

For feck sake,is nothing sacred?:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

lord lucan wrote: »
    They seem to be getting around slowly but surely. My collection is normally friday,but last friday being new years day they were due saturday instead. They never came around at all. They finally came around today around 12.00,a bit later than normal. I'd leave your bin out,they may try get around tomorrow(saturday).

That's the problem with the CC. You never know when / if they are coming. Also they just feck all the empty bins together somewhere in the middle of the road, blocking traffic :rolleyes:

I switched over to citybin as soon as they started in Lucan (about 2 years ago iirc), and they haven't missed a single collection since. And they always neatly place your empty bin back exactly where you left it.

unkel wrote: »
    That's the problem with the CC. You never know when / if they are coming. Also they just feck all the empty bins together somewhere in the middle of the road, blocking traffic :rolleyes:

I switched over to citybin as soon as they started in Lucan (about 2 years ago iirc), and they haven't missed a single collection since. And they always neatly place your empty bin back exactly where you left it.

My next door neighbour uses them and in fairness they managed to get their trucks around during the rotten weather,not an easy thing by any means as our estate has been in bits since new years eve!

I must look into Citybin. SDCC say that it may take about 6-7 weeks to get a replacement bin and in the meantime that I should take my refuse to the Ballymount recycling centre.

Trojan00 wrote: »
    I must look into Citybin. SDCC say that it may take about 6-7 weeks to get a replacement bin and in the meantime that I should take my refuse to the Ballymount recycling centre.

Might be easier to offer your neighbours a few bob towards their bin charge if they let you use their bins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I switched over to citybin as soon as they started in Lucan (about 2 years ago iirc), and they haven't missed a single collection since.

These guys look interesting.
    Quick question regarding the costs. You can choose:
    1. Flat fee of €20 per month,
    2. €6.40 per collection? (Is that how I read it?)
    3. a charge per lift of €0.30 per kg.

Am I right there? We only put our bin out once a month (at most) so I should therefore be choosing option 2?

Not sure about the different packages available these days, guys. Our replacement bin was there in a few days, not weeks. It took the council about a month to collect our old bins alright, no surprises there for civil service efficiency :rolleyes: If I were to be a benevolent dictator, I would fire all civil servants and hire third parties. It would be an instant end to our recession :)

We are on the €20 per month package and the grey bin is only collected every other week, so the CC package would be slightly cheaper if you only leave the grey bin out every other week at €8 a pop.

Edit: We need to put out our general recycling bin only once every 14 days. That's for a family of five with all kids under 5.

Edit: We need to put out our general recycling bin only once every 14 days. That's for a family of five with all kids under 5.

That's not too bad at all!

We put ours out either every 4 or 6 weeks but I reckon we'd get away with a longer gap if I bothered to cut up or crush all the boxes and plastic bottles

Heroditas wrote: »
    That's not too bad at all!

We put ours out either every 4 or 6 weeks but I reckon we'd get away with a longer gap if I bothered to cut up or crush all the boxes and plastic bottles

Silly me. I meant to say we put out both our general waste bin and the general recycling bin (paper, plastic) every 2 weeks and we also use the brown bin (food, garden waste) but it is never full.

Folks, I have heard for the first time 20mins ago that there is a new bin payment scheme and your bin won't be picked up using the old tags anymore.

Apparently we have all been issued with "waste credit cards" and these are now being used.

This is the first I've heard of this system and as a result, with the bin full and due to be collected tomorrow, I have no way of emptying it.

I never received the card or an accompanying letter in the post. FFS! :mad:

Anyone else in this boat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

We got our card through before christmas. If you still have any tags left they will still let you use them, otherwise I'm not sure how to solve the problem before they come round tomorrow.

That's the problem - I don't have any left. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

in case your not sorted out yet have a look here....

http://www.sdcc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=548&Itemid=54

There seems to be a lot in your boat got this news letter from Derek Keating this morning.

www.DerekKeating.net

Dear Email Newsreader,

During the last number of weeks many residents have contacted me regarding problems they are experiencing in having their grey bin collected. These problems relate to the new bin collection system. I am aware that more than 2,000 residents have recently contacted the Council on this issue, however, I am confident that many more have attempted to telephone the Council but couldn't get through owing to congestion on the phone lines.

If you, a family member, or indeed a neighbour are experiencing such difficulties, please email me your details, including address, mobile telephone number etc., and I will endeavour to have these problems resolved as quickly as possible.
    Kind regards

Derek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Fair play to Derek, never met the chap and don't even know his politics but at least as a local politician he's trying to help his community. He should add something to the Lucan Newsletter about this too to gain a wider audience.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Fair play to Derek, never met the chap

You haven't met him? :eek: He's everywhere!*

*In Lucan, not in the UK ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭manc

Fair play to Derek, never met the chap and don't even know his politics but at least as a local politician he's trying to help his community.

Unfortunately he went from Independant to Fine Gael but he does good work around the place. He felt that his voice would be stronger with a party than on his own.

He should add something to the Lucan Newsletter about this too to gain a wider audience.

there was a piece in the Gazette last\this week (picked it up sat so not sure which week) about bin problems, but it generally seems people got no letter/bin cards when they were sent out last October or were were trying to use bin tags after they were stopped i.e. 1st feb.

I've used the card last week and find it handy as you can top up online up to midnight before collections, but overall I guess this change will probably lead to pay by weight.

Anyway for whoever needs it........

#1 I have mislaid my waste card – how do I get a new card?
    If your Waste Charges Card is lost or stolen, Please report this immediately to the Environmental Services Department on the customer contact form or phone 01- 4149000. We will issue you with a new Waste Charges Card & transfer the credit balance to your new Waste Charges Card.

If you have not received your waste card
    Please log your query online via our customer care web form

You may also call 414 9000 to speak to a member of our customer care team. All phone lines to South Dublin County Council are operating however we regret that due to high volumes of calls at the present time you may have difficulty in getting through to us by phone immediately. Should this be the case the please log your query via the customer care web form

Good to see that Derek is attempting to help his constituents.

Anyhoo, after getting sick of no reply from the corpo and also because the bin was absolutely heaving with rubbish, I rang Citybin last Thursday and switched to them.
    I came home on Monday afternoon and two spanking clean red bins were sitting neatly inside the front gate.
    The welcome pack had also been delivered.

I transferred all the rubbish into my new general refuse bin and it was duly emptied on Tuesday morning for the sum of €6.40

I've posted the pre-written letter to the corpo informing them I've moved to Citybin
    The corpo can now come and take their bins away and eff off.

Switching to Citybin took 5 minutes and their customer care guy was very pleasant and helpful. A pleasure to deal with.

Advertisement