Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Livable conditions, when renting, deposit and human rights

Options
  • 08-01-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

During the last few day the apartment temperature has been around 5-12degrees, and that is with the heating on 24/7 almost.
    the heating bill for ONE month is just over 200 euro, for a one bedroom apartment that is disgracefull.
    The landlord says buy a heater and he will refund the cost of it, but that just means bigger bills from ESB.
    Ive searched the legalities about this, ive contacted the relevant ppl (National housing organization)about my rights but in Ireland there is very little about what is and not acceptable. especially temperature, the main problem is he has a nice big chunk of a deposit.

any ideas would be really appreach

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

How long have you been living there and did you get a BER cert when you rented?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

s10 wrote: »
    the heating bill for ONE month is just over 200 euro, for a one bedroom apartment that is disgracefull.
    This an actual one bedroom apartment in an apartment block, or someones converted garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

BER, didn't get one and haven't asked for one yet. living over 6 months now.
    Its an old building the landlord said he would drop the rent, probably by 50 and that's not enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Well that does not seem acceptable to me but the recent weather has been exceptional.

What kind of heating is actually in the place? If it is electric storage heaters in an old building it probably simply won't do a great job. What floor are you on? Are there any other units on your floor, below etc? Check you have two meters if you have storage heaters as you might be paying too much due to that.

I have an extension that has no insulation and a bit draughty and when the heating broke the other day it went down to 5 degrees. For a heated room to get that cold I would think you need to have the window open. Is there a noticeable draught in the place?

You should have been given a BER rating. You can request it now but even at that the landlord has offered you an additional heater. The additional expense of running such is not anything to him but the BER is meant to make you aware prior to renting. €200 a month is actually insane are you sure that is just for heating? I do my whole house with draughty extension for maybe 20% more than that on gas.

Advertisement