Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money for Oz

Options
  • 08-01-2010 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

Maybe a stupid question and one that someones answered already but I was thinking of going to Oz to work. How much money should I really have with me going over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

It all depends on what you want to do. Are you planning to travel or just to work? are you coming straight here or are you stopping off anywhere on the way over? Cost of living in Australia is probably a little less expensive than Ireland but not much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

aido79 wrote: »
    It all depends on what you want to do. Are you planning to travel or just to work? are you coming straight here or are you stopping off anywhere on the way over? Cost of living in Australia is probably a little less expensive than Ireland but not much.

Can never understand Irish saying stuff like Sydney is expensive. FFS nearly everything here costs 50- 70% the price of back home. Food, booze, taxis, electronics, clothing (though clothes had come well down just before I left, closing down sales etc). All this and I still often earn 100 euro more a week than I did back home. The only reason every Paddy here is skint is because we drink probably 5 times as much per week as we did back home.

As for funds, hard to say. You will probably be so overwhelmed by never before seen things like cheap booze, good nightclubs and sunshine that you will heavily procrastinate on the work front :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

No matter how much money you bring, it wont be enough ( unless your mega rich- but in that case you wouldnt bother askin;)) Australia Ias a HUGE Place with lots to see, decide what you want to do and we can advise you on the relative costs, I arrived with about $3K in 2003 and that kept me alive for about 10 weeks of frugality, I could have spent it in tend days just as easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

shane86 wrote: »
    Can never understand Irish saying stuff like Sydney is expensive. FFS nearly everything here costs 50- 70% the price of back home. Food, booze, taxis, electronics, clothing (though clothes had come well down just before I left, closing down sales etc). All this and I still often earn 100 euro more a week than I did back home. The only reason every Paddy here is skint is because we drink probably 5 times as much per week as we did back home.

As for funds, hard to say. You will probably be so overwhelmed by never before seen things like cheap booze, good nightclubs and sunshine that you will heavily procrastinate on the work front :)

I actually said its less expensive than Ireland. I'm in Perth so its more expensive here than it is on the east coast.

Advertisement