Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Togo's team bus hit by machine gun fire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Morzadec wrote: »
    Any word or idea on a motive/reason for this attack?
    Something to do with this
    Oil-rich Cabinda, separated from the rest of Angola by the Democratic Republic of Congo, has been embroiled in a long-running independence struggle but is scheduled to host seven Nations Cup matches this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Something to do with this

Yeh was just reading up a bit about the civil war there which I was pretty ignorant about. This FLEC group want independence for Cabinda, so it seems that despite the civil war being over this is still a problem area.

I would not be happy if I was an African player playing in any of those games in Cabinda.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

My heart goes out to the family of the driver and I hope those who were hurt are ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Surely this is an instance where Monaco could sue the Togo FA for such massive incompitence leading to the injury of an asset

Bubs loves lawsuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    Angola is an amazing place to hold this event in the first instance.

Remember there being talk about safetly concerns when it was first announced. Pretty sure FIFA came out and said that there was no need to be concerned. Cant see Togo taking part in the tournament now.

Wonder if Blatter will offer Ireland the free spot?:p
    Togo footballers shot in ambush

Gunmen have opened fire with machine guns on a bus carrying Togo's football team to the Africa Cup of Nations in Angola, wounding several players.

Officials say the shooting occurred in the Angolan oil-rich territory of Cabinda, where rebels have been fighting for independence.

The Angolan government called the incident an "act of terrorism". There are reports of serious injuries.

Togo is due to play its first cup game in Cabinda on Monday.

Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor was on the bus but is unhurt. In a statement, Manchester City said Adebayor had been "shaken by the terrible events" but was "unharmed".

The bus was travelling to Cabinda from the squad's training ground in the Republic of Congo when the shooting happened.

"This was an act of terrorism," Cabinda affairs minister Bento Bembe told Reuters news agency.

Competition officials said they had not known that the Togolose team had decided to drive directly to Cabinda.

They said they had expected the squad first to fly to the Angolan capital, Luanda, and from there to Cabinda.

Shot 'like dogs'

Togo striker Thomas Dossevi told France's RMC radio that several players were "in a bad state" after the attack.

"We were machine-gunned, like dogs," he said. "At the border with Angola - machine-gunned! I don't know why. I thought it was some rebels. We were under the seats of the bus for 20 minutes, trying to get away from the bullets."

The identities of those injured - who also included team staff - are not known.

Togo are due to play Ghana, Burkina Faso and Ivory Coast in their group matches. Their first game is against Ghana.

Midfielder Alaixys Romao told RMC Togo were now likely to pull out of the 16-nation tournament.

"No-one wants to play," he said. "We're not capable of it.

"We're thinking first of all about the health of our injured because there was a lot of blood on the ground."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/8449319.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Ha, I just can't see Emmanuel Adebayor putting his hand into his own pocket for a flight for himself, nevermind the entire squad.

LOL, think he'd pay for his own flight alright!
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Maybe the FAI aren't that bad after all.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I see "act of terrorism..." and "oil rich.." being used in the same sentences regarding this attack. Send for the yanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

See that Togo are 50/1 to win the tournament... thought they were among the favourites, presume they were alot less than this?

Could be worth a flutter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Degag wrote: »
    See that Togo are 50/1 to win the tournament... thought they were among the favourites, presume they were alot less than this?

Could be worth a flutter!

No they where never among the favourites. They've been pretty shocking recently!

Edit: they're also in a group with ivory coast and Ghana which is very tough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

They are in the Ivory Coast and Ghana's group, they haven't a hope of getting out of the group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Ah hindsight:rolleyes: God forbid any "racists" out there tried to point out the risks/dangers of holding such a tournament there in the first place:rolleyes:

Driver dead and 6 injured accoeding to latest reports.

Plenty of African countries have hosted the ACN whilst various political and military shenanigans have been ongoing.

Thankfully SALIFOU is safe

Unfortunately the AVFC website isn't spellchecking.
    Moustapha Salifou has emerged unhurt after the team bus carrying him and his Togo team-mates was attacked on the way to the Africa Cup of Nations.

Gunmen opened fire with machine guns on the bus carrying the Togolese side to the tournament.

Salifou spoke to his brother Eddie back home in Togo after the incident in order to reassure the family of his safety.

All the players have now been taken to hospital to be medically examined.

Saifou said: "I am okay but extremely shocked and very upset."

Manager Martin O'Neill added: "I am really shocked to hear about this.

"Obviously I am pleased and relieved to hear that Moustapha is okay and that he is not among the injured people.

"The club have been in contact with him and he has reassured us that he is okay but he is extremely shocked and upset, which he would be in these circumstances."

Officials say the bus driver was killed and six seriously injured, including two players. Among those hurt were the assistant manager, physio, goalkeeping coach and another coach.

The incident occurred in the Angolan territory of Cabinda after the bus crossed from the Republic of Congo.

The Africa Cup of Nations is due to start on Sunday.

Togo's first game is to be played on Monday in Cabinda where rebels have been fighting for independence.

The Togolese team also includes Manchester City striker Emmanuel Adebayor, who is also uninjured.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/FootballNewsDetail/0,,10265~1927570,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,599 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Terrible thing to happen, is it worth going ahead with the tournament if there is going to be peoples lives put at stake? If it goes ahead fair play to anyone who takes part, especially in the games in Cabinda.

May the bus driver rest in peace and the injured make a speedy recovery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Johner wrote: »
    They are in the Ivory Coast and Ghana's group, they haven't a hope of getting out of the group.
    Bit to soon to be talking about who will come out of the group at this stage. Say most players are in no mood for anything at the moment. Again some posters try and grasp the magnitude of what has happened here. Anyone who has ever been abroad might have some ideal what is like to have your bus boarded like that. Say it was an absolutely terrifying experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Bit to soon to be talking about who will come out of the group at this stage. Say most players are in no mood for anything at the moment. Again some posters try and grasp the magnitude of what has happened here. Anyone who has ever been abroad might have some ideal what is like to have your bus boarded like that. Say it was an absolutely terrifying experience.

I was just replying to who ever said they might be worth money at 50/1.

Johner wrote: »
    I was just replying to who ever said they might be worth money at 50/1.
    I appreciate that. Was just making a general comment.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

This could spell the end for the whole tournament now. Which could be a good thing for british clubs.

jank wrote: »
    This could spell the end for the whole tournament now. Which could be a good thing for british clubs.

If an act of terrorism causes the cancellation of a major international soccer tournament thats not a good thing, is a very very bad thing both for sport and for society as a whole. Seeing the positives in it for English soccer teams is a bit short sighted and fails to see the bigger picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

I wouldn't be so certain about this thing going ahead.

The rebel group claims "This is just the beginning." Any possibility of another attack and they'll have to close the competition. What if they try to target a stadium, full of fans?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

flahavaj wrote: »
    If an act of terrorism causes the cancellation of a major international soccer tournament thats not a good thing, is a very very bad thing both for sport and for society as a whole. Seeing the positives in it for English soccer teams is a bit short sighted and fails to see the bigger picture.

Dont be so quick to call this an act of terrorism. Having the thing held in Anglo in the first place is short sighted. If they cannot guarantee the safety of players then it should not go ahead. END OF!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

No mention of this on the RTE News. And I listened to the beginning of the sport programme on RTE Radio 1 at 7pm and in their intro they mentioned a preview of the African Nations Cup but no mention of this.

That is ridiculous. How can they not cover it??:confused:

Terrible incident and it is awful that there was a casualty.

• Advertisement

Dont be so quick to call this an act of terrorism. Having the thing held in Anglo in the first place is short sighted. If they cannot guarantee the safety of players then it should not go ahead. END OF!

The organisers of the ACN are the ones who called it an act of terrorism.
    and I think that they feel if they call it off then they are giving in to them.

SarahBM wrote: »
    The organisers of the ACN are the ones who called it an act of terrorism.
    and I think that they feel if they call it off then they are giving in to them.

Someone with a bit of sense. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newstalk for sport, RTE for knitting patterns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Tusky wrote: »
    Its disgraceful that the players are travelling by coach across a dangerous area. Surely they should fly ?

I know its a completely separate country but I was shocked when South Africa was announced as the host nation of the World Cup. I find it hard to imagine it going ahead without serious incident.

Bad decision to let Africa host the World Cup (I said it when it was announced too).

Its gas. SSN have been repeating it every 15 mins or so. and they went through all the players from english clubs and who they are playing for. and they went to the bother of finding out what clubs the injured players are.
    The group that are claiming responsibility said that its only the start, according to SSN. I hope its not!!!

The regs also state that teams should NOT travel by bus, so its a mystery why the Togo team were busing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

RTE for comedy gold, I think you mean:

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Ha, I just can't see Emmanuel Adebayor putting his hand into his own pocket for a flight for himself, nevermind the entire squad.

Adebayor is well known for the work and money he puts into Togolese football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Is that your main concern?? How it will affect british clubs?? What about the people killed and their fmilies, how this will affect the game in Africa???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Why not fly?

They are attacked in the region they were due to play. Maybe there is no airport in that region and their location in DRC was closer to the region than the nearest airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Surely this is an instance where Monaco could sue the Togo FA for such massive incompitence leading to the injury of an asset

What money are they going to get out of the Togolese FA? I doubt they have any.

Interesting that some of them want to go home - obviously they cannot be kept their against their will so why not leave?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Interesting that some of them want to go home - obviously they cannot be kept their against their will so why not leave?
    I think they want to decide as a team, I know I'd be terrified if I was there anyway

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

wc in africa will be a disaster of epic proportions.

and thats not including them bloody horns they blow.....

western people will be like worm bait down there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The tournament needs to be canceled. Yes, I know that giving into terrorists is bad, but **** that there are lives at risk (and a life lost already). The tournament should not have been held there in the first place. It clearly is not safe with matches soon to kick off. Time for sense to prevail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The tournament needs to be canceled. Yes, I know that giving into terrorists is bad, but **** that there are lives at risk (and a life lost already). The tournament should not have been held there in the first place. It clearly is not safe with matches soon to kick off. Time for sense to prevail.

Angola's a truly horrendously corrupt place. Something like this was always a possibility.

It's a horrible tragedy, made worse by the fact that it's so pointless. What possible benefit will anyone get from the Togolese team's driver dying?

I'd assume Togo will pull out asap, potentially followed by a rake of other teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Tusky wrote: »
    Its disgraceful that the players are travelling by coach across a dangerous area. Surely they should fly ?

I know its a completely separate country but I was shocked when South Africa was announced as the host nation of the World Cup. I find it hard to imagine it going ahead without serious incident.

Well I can't imagine myself sitting through a whole tournament listening to those damn horns without causing some kind of serious incident myself!

Seriously though.
    Tragic news.
    My thoughts to all involved.

Well I can't imagine myself sitting through a whole tournament listening to those damn horns without causing some kind of serious incident myself!

Seriously though.
    Tragic news.
    My thoughts to all involved.
    As far as I know the team didn't take the official route. Would have thought they were briefed of the situation before travelling to their destination. But a sad day for football and to be honest was surprised RTE didn't have it further up on their list last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are attacked in the region they were due to play. Maybe there is no airport in that region and their location in DRC was closer to the region than the nearest airport.

When I said why not fly, I belived they were further from their location than is the case but it still begs the question, as the security situation is so bad generally, why not fly in direct from Togo to the nearest airport in Angola. It clear teams do not want to spend a minute longer in that country than is neccessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,427 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

This will be wake up for teams going to South Africa that a thing like this could also happen at world cup

This will be wake up for teams going to South Africa that a thing like this could also happen at world cup
    Well its a bit like the situation in Ireland in early seventies. Think it was 1972 when only one team travelled over for the home nations series (And i think it might have been England) because they were under impression Dublin was part of the troubles.
    Africa a very big place. Was over in Morocco a few years ago. Lovely country. South Africa im sure has it poor spots but haven't heard of any trouble there recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Different kettle of fish altogether. You needs to brush up on your geography.

South Africa is much more stable than some other countries in Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Absolutely crazy stuff, wonder will any clubs want to withdraw their players or if players other nations will withdraw themselves? I wouldnt blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Absolutely crazy stuff, wonder will any clubs want to withdraw their players or if players other nations will withdraw themselves? I wouldnt blame them

I'd be thinking they should go ahead otherwise the attackers will get what they wanted. But it's easy to say that when it's not your head on the line.

deisedevil wrote: »
    I'd be thinking they should go ahead otherwise the attackers will get what they wanted. But it's easy to say that when it's not your head on the line.
    I think the players might look at it that way but clubs (on a personal level, not financial) and families will hardly be comfortable with this, and the tournament hasnt even begun yet has it?

Here's a map of the area.
    Cabinda is seperated from the rest of Angola by a fairly large margin.
    The Togo team camp is in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
    The team didn't want to fly from DR Congo , to the center of Angola, just to turn around and fly back to Cambinda, seeing as it was just a bus journey away.
    I guess they wish they did now.

_38356713_angola_cabinda_150map.gif

Here's the history of the situation.

The Cabinda Conflict: Background To The Togo Bus Shooting

The purpose of this article is to better explain the background to the shooting that left the Togo team bus driver dead in Cabinda on Friday, January 8th 2010.

Cabinda profile: Cabinda is an exclave of Angola separated from the country's mainland by the Democratic Republic of Congo (Congo-Kinshasa) and the Republic of Congo (Congo-Brazzaville.) While by law it's a part of Angola, local rebels dispute its status, and battle for independence.

Cabinda, which is slightly smaller than Puerto Rico, is bordered by the two Congos and the Atlantic Ocean. Home to just over 250,000 people, it is largely jungle, and has been a part of Angola since 1975, a year after the latter's independence in 1974. In the late 1960s, oil was discovered in Cabinda.

Independence movement: Various armed and political groups have vied for Cabinda's independence since its absorption into Angola. The justifications range from the ethnic to the linguistic to the economic.

Reasons for conflict: Aside from any ethnic/territorial claims towards independence, finance is involved, most notably through oil. Despite its tiny size, Cabinda and its coastal area is home to a considerable majority of Angola's oil reserves. While the local authorities receive some of the oil companies' revenues in the form of tax, Cabindal opposition groups complain that too much of the money is given over to the Angolan central government, with aims ranging from greater autonomy to increased funding to, most commonly, outright independence.

Path to peace: Angola as a whole played host to a civil war that ran from independence until 2002; Cabinda's conflict has raged on much longer. However, in 2006 Antonio Bento Bembe, still representing the pro-independence organisation Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (FLEC), signed a peace accord with Angola in Brazzaville. Nonetheless various FLEC offshoots and splinter groups opposed this bargain, stating that the resistance will continue. While numerous such groups exist, there can be a broad stroke drawn between FLEC-Renovada, which signed the peace deal and seeks to co-operate with the Angolan state (Bento Bembe in fact serves as a government minister), and opposing organisations, such as the FLEC-FAC (FLEC-Armed Forces of Cabinda), who reject it.

The group FLEC-PM (Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda - Military Position) claimed responsibility for the Togo attack.

Justification for attack: FLEC-PM released a statement via Radio France International after the attack, in which they stated, "The CAF (Confederation of African Football) was warned repeatedly that this was a country at war. They had documents explaining this, but they wouldn't heed the warnings. They must take responsibility. We are not rebels, but a military and political movement originating in Cabinda. We're not rebels, but resistance fighters. Cabinda is a territory illegally occupied by Angola, and we are fighting for its liberation.

"This operation was just the beginning of a series of targeted actions that will continue constantly throughout Cabinda's territory."

Unconfirmed reports attributed to FLEC-PM indicated that the attack was actually aimed at the Angolan security escort that accompanied the Togolese bus, and that the driver and squad were merely caught in the crossfire, but this remains only a rumour at time of publication.

What happens now: At time of writing, a crisis meeting is said to be taking place in the Angolan capital of Luanda between local officials and the Confederation of African Football over the future of the tournament. It is not thought that a call-off is imminent, but moving the Cabindan games to Luanda itself seems a likely outcome. As for the Togolese squad, quotes to media sources from the players themselves indicate that there is no appetite to continue the tournament, and the Sparrow Hawks may thus withdraw.

7 matches were scheduled to be played in this region? :confused:

• Advertisement

This is the part that gets me.
    Justification for attack: FLEC-PM released a statement via Radio France International after the attack, in which they stated, "The CAF (Confederation of African Football) was warned repeatedly that this was a country at war. They had documents explaining this, but they wouldn't heed the warnings.

If that's true, then CAF have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wait till the World Cup is in Africa. Going to be very dodgy at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

BBC saying Togo have withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Togo have pulled out now according to Football Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Togo pull out of the tournament according to Football Focus.

No real surprise.

Will make a bit of a joke of the tournament.

Wonder how soon Adebayor and Salifou and be back in England?

• Advertisement
Advertisement