Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

All schools closed until weds

2»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

dolliemix wrote: »
    I'm not going to even read the rest of your post based on the above statement.

Whatever floats your boat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

parsi wrote: »
    Whatever floats your boat.

Is that it Parsi?
    Cmon Ive been banned for a week. I need a laugh. Go for the throat.:D You were going well there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

throw a couple of valium in the kids ready brek every morning

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Is that it Parsi?
    Cmon Ive been banned for a week. I need a laugh. Go for the throat.:D You were going well there.

I can't go up against the teaching mafia - parents have to just accept the insults and the implications that we don't care about our kids whenever we dare to question a decision.

But yet there's no news on whether they'll work back the days lost due to snow closures and strike closures. Concern for de childer doesn't stretch that far.

maxxie wrote: »
    throw a couple of valium in the kids ready brek every morning

Hmm I wouldn't be a fan of drugging them but they love Ready Brek - good for them to have hot food heading out in the mornings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Some schools here declared that they would be closed next Thursday & Friday as well . . . which seems a bit mad as almost all the snow melted here today. It hasn't been as safe to get to school for the last week and we face a week of cancelled school. Truly this is a mad country.

And as for the whole 'child welfare' yoke - do us a favour - children are as much at risk on a day off from school as a day in school. If anything they are safer in school when they at least go by the rules and stay indoors. If individual kids can't make it to school becaus they live in the wilds and it's too dangerous to drive (a real risk) then fine, they can miss school for the day/week, but to cancel all school for all children across the entire country is just plain crazy. If they are concerned about the welfare bit they should have the army out enforcing a curfew so that all children remain indoors . . . as if.

It's not too much hassle for me as I work from home so I can work and 'mind' the kids at the same time, but for parents who have to miss work or take holidays to cover there is a real cost to this.

z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭AJ STYLES

hopefully they dont reverse the decision :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

AJ STYLES wrote: »
    hopefully they dont reverse the decision :)

why? are you in second year?

6th but i want to study at home

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

Hmm I wouldn't be a fan of drugging them but they love Ready Brek - good for them to have hot food heading out in the mornings.

Have to agree with ya there Mary Poppins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

zagmund wrote: »
    Some schools here declared that they would be closed next Thursday & Friday as well . . . which seems a bit mad as almost all the snow melted here today. It hasn't been as safe to get to school for the last week and we face a week of cancelled school. Truly this is a mad country.

And as for the whole 'child welfare' yoke - do us a favour - children are as much at risk on a day off from school as a day in school. If anything they are safer in school when they at least go by the rules and stay indoors. If individual kids can't make it to school becaus they live in the wilds and it's too dangerous to drive (a real risk) then fine, they can miss school for the day/week, but to cancel all school for all children across the entire country is just plain crazy. If they are concerned about the welfare bit they should have the army out enforcing a curfew so that all children remain indoors . . . as if.

It's not too much hassle for me as I work from home so I can work and 'mind' the kids at the same time, but for parents who have to miss work or take holidays to cover there is a real cost to this.

z

If there's an accident in the school grounds the tax payers end up paying for it.

There's a huge difference between looking after your two or three children at home and supervising 26 kids.

What schools have 'declared' that they're closing thursday and friday?

To be quite honest I really do not see what this has to do with commuting and transport anymore.

Now before the mods do a backflip and karate kick in my direction, Im not backseat modding, Im just pointing out something.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Indeed it's not about teachers holidays. It's not about early closing for holidays. It's about having to realise that schools are an integral part of our systems. Suddenly shutting down that part of the system will have an effect on the rest of the system.

True parsi, but while it's rare for Ontario schools to fully close in the winter (my Torontonian wife claims never to have had a snow day, and the response to temps below -15C (when flesh sticks to metal) is to keep them indoors during break) school buses do get cancelled in the sticks so even here there's a limit to what they will risk.

Could some of our members with knowledge of BE/DB operations indicate what the tyre strategy is for standard public transport and for the BE school bus contract - including subcontractors? [just trying to get us back on C+T issues!]

do people think they will go back on this decision. i go school in city centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

There's a lot of crap being spouted on this thread that has nothing to do with commuting or transport. But this is the correct forum to discuss the issue IMO. Because if anyone thinks the decision to close schools had anything to do with the welfare of children you're deluding yourselves.

They decided to close schools to reduce the number of cars on the roads. Full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If there's an accident in the school grounds the tax payers end up paying for it.

There's a huge difference between looking after your two or three children at home and supervising 26 kids.

What schools have 'declared' that they're closing thursday and friday?
    only a total fool of a teacher/principle would let students out in school yards during this kind of icy weather and most even ban going out during wet days, get a grip will ya its not as bad as all that! and getting back to transport a school bus is probably safer than a car for getting to school in this weather.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    only a total fool of a teacher/principle would let students out in school yards during this kind of icy weather and most even ban going out during wet days, get a grip will ya its not as bad as all that! and getting back to transport a school bus is probably safer than a car for getting to school in this weather.

Typical condescending attitude of people not involved in school management. Of course the kids won't be going out at lunch time. But they have to get to school in the first place. Do you expect the children to fly into their seats at their desks? And avoid all contact with roads or footpaths.

School buses are probably better in weather like this, because the less traffic the better. But if something were to happen to one of those buses - the Government would be up s**t creek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Typical condescending attitude of people not involved in school management. Of course the kids won't be going out at lunch time. But they have to get to school in the first place. Do you expect the children to fly into their seats at their desks? And avoid all contact with roads or footpaths.

School buses are probably better in weather like this, because the less traffic the better. But if something were to happen to one of those buses - the Government would be up s**t creek
    the busses have little to do with school management and if they crash it will be down to the owners insurance to cover any damage or are school busses exempc from at least third party insurance?

Batt man has given the green light for schools to reopen if they can.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/okeeffe-to-allow-schools-to-reopen-tomorrow-441478.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

DWCommuter wrote: »
    Batt man has given the green light for schools to reopen if they can.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/okeeffe-to-allow-schools-to-reopen-tomorrow-441478.html

Derek don't the words p*ss up and brewery come to mind.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

At the end of the day Batt was taking into account the weather forecast for these 3 days , which was completely wrong for Dublin anyway.

Better to be safe than sorry.

westtip wrote: »
    Derek don't the words p*ss up and brewery come to mind.

LOL! Im staying out of this one.;)

foggy_lad wrote: »
    the busses have little to do with school management and if they crash it will be down to the owners insurance to cover any damage or are school busses exempc from at least third party insurance?

oh right - how practical!

What about the children in the bus? :eek:

spongeman wrote: »
    At the end of the day Batt was taking into account the weather forecast for these 3 days , which was completely wrong for Dublin anyway.

Better to be safe than sorry.

eh no not really it was ott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Fine Gael said it was an embarrassing climbdown. Battman made a decision based on a weather forecast that was completely wrong.

I d'ont hold a candle for this government but the opposition need to get their act together better than this.

maxxie wrote: »
    Have to agree with ya there Mary Poppins

A spoonful of sugar and all that...

Advertisement