Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Beer Alert

Options
  • 08-01-2010 6:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭

Now that I've bought a few bottles, I thought people in and around Cork might like to know that there are Guinness Special Export (Belgian Guinness) bottles in The Abbot's Ale House in Cork.

This is my favourite version of Guinness by a long shot.

Not often available.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

by a long shot.
    Really? Have you tasted it side-by-side with Foreign Extra? Special Export is better, but they are very similar-tasting beers, IMO, to the point where I don't think the price of trading up is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    Really? Have you tasted it side-by-side with Foreign Extra? Special Export is better, but they are very similar-tasting beers, IMO, to the point where I don't think the price of trading up is worth it.

Not side by side but must try that.
    I remember Special Export being slightly sweeter and a little less bitter and having more fullness of flavour.

Oh it is. And lighter carbonation too. But really not by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

You have put an idea in my head:p, as I was going to have b bottle of Guinness Special Export to nite!

Well, last night, tried the two side by side.

They are different. I prefer the special export, but you're right, Beernut, not by that much.

Verdict: If I drank a lot of it I'd definitely be buying the Foreign Extra at €2.13 a bottle but for the odd bottle, I don't mind forking out €3.50.

Both good beers but different.
    Foreign is better value.
    I hate the modern, marketing department got their hands on it, Foreign Extra bottle, though, compared to the classic style Special Export.

4391.jpgguiness-export.jpg

• Advertisement

Both good beers but different.
    Foreign is better value.
    I hate the modern, marketing department got their hands on it, Foreign Extra bottle, though, compared to the classic style Special Export.
    Amen.

I can shave an extra 13c off by going to James's Gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

BeerNut wrote: »
    Amen.

I can shave an extra 13c off by going to James's Gate.

That's right, the Store House sells it for €2 a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TalkingGoose

Hey guys does anyone know where in Dublin where you can get Special Export, i am a Guinness drinker and have tried Foreign Extra and really enjoyed so i can't wait to try this new drink for me, i have had a browse in a few off-licences but no luck so far so any one who can guide me in the right direction i'd be greatly apreciative. Cheers.

Any of the decent beer off licences (green pins here) would be worth a punt. I've seen it most recently in DrinkStore.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TalkingGoose

Cool I'll have to head back there (DrinkStore) I made a few visits over the christmas but must have missed it. I'll keep the eyes open this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

is this guinness still available in the abbot's ?

I think there's still some left, alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

cool

I'll make it my business to swing by there tomorrow

Advertisement