Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taxi Rank - Foster Place South (Off Dame Street)

• 08-01-2010 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Whats going on here? I used to use this place all the time to park when going for a coffee in starbucks, going to gigs in the evening and sometimes when I needed to go to the office after hours. Now it seems that after 20:00 it is totally reserved for taxis?

The signs are very confusing by the way, i should of got a picture, ill try and get one later to post here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Heart

I think I know the signs your talking about, I've seen them elsewhere...

Something like; paid parking 07.00-19.00 and taxi rank 20:00-06:00, and presumably free parking from 06.00-07.00 & 19.00-20:00...

Hope this makes sense!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭HotSwap

Yeah thats the one.

In the past there were maybe 8 pay and display parking spots there, and a loading bay that could be used as parking after 19:00.

I'm more wanting to highlight the fact that they have been changed from pay and display parking to a taxi rank (apart from one hour). I don't think there is any need for this in that location, there is no need for this amount of taxies to be parked in any rank at the one time.

I would like to have that changed back to pay and display parking, I think its unacceptable that this entire street has been hijacked by taxi drivers.

Who makes decisions like this? Are they required to post some notice somewhere?

Thanks Guys.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

HotSwap wrote: »
    I don't think there is any need for this in that location, there is no need for this amount of taxies to be parked in any rank at the one time..

Because at a nation level taxi numbers are now unregulated, city council has little choice but to provide extra space for these taxies otherwise there's too many pointlessly driving around, needlessly adding to congestion.

That may be the case, but I would like to object to this. I parked in these spaces on a regular basis.

Please don't make this about there being too many taxis, i'm sure thats been done. I want my parking spaces back. My objection is there there were no notices posted to inform me about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

That may be the case, but I would like to object to this. I parked in these spaces on a regular basis.

Please don't make this about there being too many taxis, i'm sure thats been done. I want my parking spaces back. My objection is there there were no notices posted to inform me about this.

There is two multi storey car parks within one minute of Foster Place you could park in along with a chronic shortage of rank spaces in Dublin which slightly out"ranks" your need for a Mocha once every now and then.

That or try one of the 293720383299 other Starbucks in Dublin.:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I'm not making this about there being too many taxis, there just are too many taxies.

If you want to complain Dublin City Council is your best point of contact. They would control where the ranks are placed. However, now that the rank is in place it's unclear if there is much point.

I however think you should also contact your TDs on the issue of unlimited amount of taxis and the general issue of taxi regulation (or no regulation in the case of numbers on the streets).

I dont want to pay for parking, these spots were free after 7. But they were earning money all day (which is not the peak taxi time). I would understand if they were ranks at peek times like friday and saturday nights. 7 Days a week is just stupid.
    Hamndegger wrote: »
    There is two multi storey car parks within one minute of Foster Place you could park in along with a chronic shortage of rank spaces in Dublin which slightly out"ranks" your need for a Mocha once every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

Hamndegger wrote: »

Presume you meant 22? Incidentally quite a few of them closed recently.

Besides, hard to see how your business out "ranks" that of any other service on Dame St. If anything, there's probably more demand for a decent coffee in the area than a taxi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Starbucks isn't decent coffee.

On a more helpful note, your best bet would be to ring DCC and complain OP

phasers wrote: »

On a more helpful note, your best bet would be to ring DCC and complain OP

Yeah, even it could be change to a rank only for peak hours. I don't see the point of having ranks at non peak times, as there are plenty of cabs on the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭bangersandmash

phasers wrote: »
    By international standards I completely agree. By Dublin standards (and in particular around the tourist-tastic Dame St area), you take what you can get :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The reality is that having free parking in such a prime location is problematic.
    Yeah, even it could be change to a rank only for peak hours. I don't see the point of having ranks at non peak times, as there are plenty of cabs on the street.
    Thats actually the problem - there are too many taxis cruising around causing traffic congestion as late as 3am.

Now, if I was able to make a 30+page submission on the taxi bye-law review last year, I'm sure everybody else should have been at least able to look at the proposals.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Traffic/Public%20Transport/Pages/TaxiRanks.aspx

Victor wrote: »
    The reality is that having free parking in such a prime location is problematic.Thats actually the problem - there are too many taxis cruising around causing traffic congestion as late as 3am.

Now, if I was able to make a 30+page submission on the taxi bye-law review last year, I'm sure everybody else should have been at least able to look at the proposals.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/Traffic/Public%20Transport/Pages/TaxiRanks.aspx

Are you agreeing that ranks should only be for peak hours? How often to they review this document?

Regards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Are you agreeing that ranks should only be for peak hours?
    No, I'm saying there should be more ranks and less parking.
    How often to they review this document?
    Every 2-3 years.

Victor wrote: »
    The reality is that having free parking in such a prime location is problematic.Thats actually the problem.

Well the problem for me in the past was that taxi drivers were illegally queueing in this area and blocking entry to the parking spaces.

Now the problem is that there are less parking spaces. I pay a lot more road tax than taxis, yet I have to park in "non prime" locations. This does not seem fair. I will certainly be following this issue and opposing any more taxi ranks, or expansion of existing ranks in areas like this in the city centre.

There are more motorists in dublin than there are taxi drivers. Hopefully I can make some of them see my side of the argument.

And surely by making more rank space taxi drivers are weakening their position on the number of licenses that are being issued. If they have less rank space they could say that there should be less taxies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I pay a lot more road tax than taxis,

What is the road tax? Never heard of it.

I asctually agree with you, they did the same outside Dunnes in Dun Laoghaire. Taxis were blocking the road / parking illegally and instead of fining and dealing with them they just provided additonal unneeded rank space taking away more needed parking bays :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,325 ✭✭✭howiya

Surely the ideal solution would have been to make the area pay and display 24 hours and either move taxis on or fine them for blocking the area

I don't see the logic that because there are more taxis that the City Council should have to cater for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

howiya wrote: »
    Surely the ideal solution would have been to make the area pay and display 24 hours and either move taxis on or fine them for blocking the area

I don't see the logic that because there are more taxis that the City Council should have to cater for them

580 rank spaces in dublin , Thousands of Taxis and you want to close rank spaces??? Lol Just lol

Taxipete29 wrote: »
    580 rank spaces in dublin , Thousands of Taxis and you want to close rank spaces??? Lol Just lol

I didn't mention closing any. I said I don't understand why they are opening new ones at the expense of parking for other cars.

Using your logic there are thousands more cars in Dublin without sufficient on street parking for them. Should we do away with road space to provide sufficient on street parking for every car in Dublin? :rolleyes:

The answer of course is NO. Same should apply to taxis. If you don't want to drive around Dublin looking for a fare then don't. It's a personal choice that you make and I don't see why the City Council should make exceptions for you.

Well said! This seems like exactly what has happened. Im glad I have support from some other people.

Another area where Taxi drivers are queueing illegally is outside Vicar Street after a gig. I hope we can keep an eye on things like this or the same will happen again unnoticed, and then it will be too late when the change has been made.

We should see how many people we can get and put a formal complaint to DCC in writing.

• Advertisement

The reason for rank space is as a service to the people who use taxis, not as a service / rest area for drivers. As a taxi customer it does not make any difference if there are 10 cars in the queue or 100 cars in the queue, another taxi will come and take the vacant place shortly after it has been vacated.

And there are a few ranks that are not being used that I feel should be changed back to disk parking. One example of this is the rank on St Andrew Street. The only time I see taxis parked here is when they have gone into town to do a bit of shopping. There are others along the quays, I cant remember the names of the streets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I didn't mention closing any. I said I don't understand why they are opening new ones at the expense of parking for other cars.

Using your logic there are thousands more cars in Dublin without sufficient on street parking for them. Should we do away with road space to provide sufficient on street parking for every car in Dublin? :rolleyes:

The answer of course is NO. Same should apply to taxis. If you don't want to drive around Dublin looking for a fare then don't. It's a personal choice that you make and I don't see why the City Council should make exceptions for you.

Ah jeez bring on the green brigade , private cars should be banned from within the area bounded by the canals and the M50. Then we'd have room for bus lanes/bycyles/taxis/rollerskaters whatever. Private car ownership for going to "Starbucks for a coffee" should be punishable by disembowlment and a €40 fine..

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Ah jeez bring on the green brigade , private cars should be banned from within the area bounded by the canals and the M50. Then we'd have room for bus lanes/bycyles/taxis/rollerskaters whatever. Private car ownership for going to "Starbucks for a coffee" should be punishable by disembowlment and a €40 fine..

I invite you to re read my post as you've completely taken it up the wrong way. My argument is that the City Council shouldn't be doing away with on street parking to facilitate the provision of taxi ranks.

Businesses in the city centre pay rates to the Council. There should be somewhere for their customers to park where feasible.

The argument about cars being banned is a different topic, i'm sure there are other threads about this already that you can go and post in. Maybe this is a good idea during peak hours, like what they did with college green to relieve congestion. But i'm talking about on street parking during off peek hours being reassigned to taxi drivers.

Going for a coffee was only an example. I also go to gigs in the evenings and I don't want to have to pay another €10 for 3 hours parking, I also work across the road, and sometimes need to go to the office after hours and this area was the nearest parking. The reasons people need parking are varied and usually coincide with money being spent in local businesses.

I invite you to re read my post as you've completely taken it up the wrong way. My argument is that the City Council shouldn't be doing away with on street parking to facilitate the provision of taxi ranks.

Businesses in the city centre pay rates to the Council. There should be somewhere for their customers to park where feasible.

No I didn't misread any posts from anyone complaining about parking spaces being removed, I applaud the council for doing it and hope they remove more on street parking ( not for more taxis but just removed full stop! ), I feel that the private motorist should be priced/taxed off the road, Use public transport and stop moaning

I feel that the private motorist should be priced/taxed off the road, Use public transport and stop moaning

Why?

Why?

Because that's my view, the private motorist is a blight on society in general

Because that's my view, the private motorist is a blight on society in general

This is a discussion, people should back up their views and opinions with valid points and arguments.

When I reach a point like this in any discussion and one person is defending their point of view simply by saying that its their point of view and that they are entitled to it I tend to loose any respect that I might of had for their side of things.

Oh, and from the charter:
    We should be aware that some posters will be over zealous about their preferred means of transport, but that this should be balanced. If you make a particular statement for or against a particular form of transport, you should be willing to back it up.
    Why do you think that the private motorist is a blight on society in general? You cant make statements like that without backing them up. Please comment on your point or remove yourself from this discussion.

Regards,

HS.

This is a discussion, people should back up their views and opinions with valid points and arguments.

When I reach a point like this in any discussion and one person is defending their point of view simply by saying that its their point of view and that they are entitled to it I tend to loose any respect that I might of had for their side of things.

Oh, and from the charter:

Why do you think that the private motorist is a blight on society in general? You cant make statements like that without backing them up. Please comment on your point or remove yourself from this discussion.

Regards,

HS.

Now that you yourself have decided to expand on the one word post "Why?" I'll answer you,

private motorists are a blight because of the waste of resoutces and infrastructure used to transport ( usualy ) a single person cocooned in a metal skin from point A to point B, where upon arrival they will park this metal skin ( estimated at 10cubic meters of volume, might be more might be less but you get the gist ) and leave it for several hours and pay relatively little for the privilige of doing so. Far better to ban all private motorists ( note I don't condone a congestion charge that rich people can/will be able to afford ) and force them to use public/alternative modes of transport within a defined area of any built up area. For this example I would use Dublin within the bounderies of the Royal and Grand Canal to the North and South and the M50 to the West.

• Advertisement

Ok lets just be clear about this. Im no longer a taxi driver.

First off this argument you are putting forth is nonsense. Taxi drivers have only 2 choices. Drive around looking for a fare or park on a rank. Motorists can park on-street, multi-storey, get the bus, luas, train, cycle or walk.

With the current high fuel costs it is not financially viable for a driver to constantly drive around looking for work. Its not about being treated differently. Its about the council providing a fair amount of space for cars to rank considering they issued all the licences in the first place.

Plus who cares who pays more road tax. A Range Rover pays more tax than a Mini. Doesn this mean the Range Rovers is entitled to more benefits than the Mini. Grow up.

Yeah thats the one.

In the past there were maybe 8 pay and display parking spots there, and a loading bay that could be used as parking after 19:00.

I'm more wanting to highlight the fact that they have been changed from pay and display parking to a taxi rank (apart from one hour). I don't think there is any need for this in that location, there is no need for this amount of taxies to be parked in any rank at the one time.

I would like to have that changed back to pay and display parking, I think its unacceptable that this entire street has been hijacked by taxi drivers.

Who makes decisions like this? Are they required to post some notice somewhere?

Thanks Guys.

Its not hijacking if your permitted to do so. So you want FREE on-street parking in the middle of the city after 1900 for your convienience??? Taxis provide a public service. You and your car do not.

Ok lets just be clear about this. Im no longer a taxi driver.

First off this argument you are putting forth is nonsense. Taxi drivers have only 2 choices. Drive around looking for a fare or park on a rank. Motorists can park on-street, multi-storey, get the bus, luas, train, cycle or walk.

With the current high fuel costs it is not financially viable for a driver to constantly drive around looking for work. Its not about being treated differently. Its about the council providing a fair amount of space for cars to rank considering they issued all the licences in the first place.

Plus who cares who pays more road tax. A Range Rover pays more tax than a Mini. Doesn this mean the Range Rovers is entitled to more benefits than the Mini. Grow up.

Doesn't make a difference whether you are a taxi driver or an astronaut. This thread is about the City Council abolishing on street parking for the provision of taxi ranks and not taxis.

Taxi drivers can also avail of the parking options you have mentioned. They can park on street provided that they do so legally. They can also avail of the multi storey option to park while they have a break etc.

I accept that it is not financially viable for drivers to drive around endlessly looking for fares in the current climate. However most people seem to pick up taxis on the street rather than at ranks then a lot of drivers obviously still do it.

The City Council no longer issues taxi licenses. This is done by the Commission for Taxi Regulation. The City Council haven't issued licences in the last five years. Why is it their responsibility to provide additional space for taxis?

Taxis are not a public service. Each taxi driver is self employed and has no obligation to the public.

Doesn't make a difference whether you are a taxi driver or an astronaut. This thread is about the City Council abolishing on street parking for the provision of taxi ranks and not taxis.

Taxi drivers can also avail of the parking options you have mentioned. They can park on street provided that they do so legally. They can also avail of the multi storey option to park while they have a break etc.

I accept that it is not financially viable for drivers to drive around endlessly looking for fares in the current climate. However most people seem to pick up taxis on the street rather than at ranks then a lot of drivers obviously still do it.

The City Council no longer issues taxi licenses. This is done by the Commission for Taxi Regulation. The City Council haven't issued licences in the last five years. Why is it their responsibility to provide additional space for taxis?

Taxis are not a public service. Each taxi driver is self employed and has no obligation to the public.

Wrong on so many counts. First off all the Councils issued licences up until alot more recently than 5 years.

If you dont think Taxis are a public service and part of the public transport plan, why are they called small public service vehicles?? Drivers do have obligations to the public if they are working and more so if they are using an official rank.

They are not abolishing on-street parking for taxis. The vast majority of on-street parking is empty at night time save for a few very central areas or if there is a major event on. The parking is there during peak times for motorists and at night for Taxis. Whats your problem?? Its actually DCC using their head for once. People who drive into the city at night can pay for parking just like those who drive in during the day.

Its not hijacking if your permitted to do so. So you want FREE on-street parking in the middle of the city after 1900 for your convienience??? Taxis provide a public service. You and your car do not.

The public were being served quite well by the existing rank, as I already pointed out, there is no need for 20 - 30 cars to be pulled into a rank, 5 - 10 would do exactly the same job. As you say it is a public service, the public are being no better served by larger ranks, so whats the point?

Perhaps make the ranks the same as the airport, you need a special permit to sit at a rank, this would allow the ranks to be made a lot smaller.

They are not abolishing on-street parking for taxis.

They did, thats why I started this thread.

• Advertisement

They did, thats why I started this thread.

No the space is mixed use. Plenty of loading bays around the city are the same. Does the fact that taxis can use them after 2000 mean that they are abolishing loading bays ?? No it doesnt.

The city has enough on street and off street parking at night time. The city does not have enough rank spaces. Its very simple. You can complain all you want but its not going to get it changed. Your argument for wanting to be able to park there holds no water.

The public were being served quite well by the existing rank, as I already pointed out, there is no need for 20 - 30 cars to be pulled into a rank, 5 - 10 would do exactly the same job. As you say it is a public service, the public are being no better served by larger ranks, so whats the point?

Perhaps make the ranks the same as the airport, you need a special permit to sit at a rank, this would allow the ranks to be made a lot smaller.

They do have special permits to sit at ranks. They are called Taxi Licences :rolleyes:

Now that you yourself have decided to expand on the one word post "Why?" I'll answer you,

private motorists are a blight because of the waste of resoutces and infrastructure used to transport ( usualy ) a single person cocooned in a metal skin from point A to point B, where upon arrival they will park this metal skin ( estimated at 10cubic meters of volume, might be more might be less but you get the gist ) and leave it for several hours and pay relatively little for the privilige of doing so. Far better to ban all private motorists ( note I don't condone a congestion charge that rich people can/will be able to afford ) and force them to use public/alternative modes of transport within a defined area of any built up area. For this example I would use Dublin within the bounderies of the Royal and Grand Canal to the North and South and the M50 to the West.

Thanks for clarifying you point.

In fact I cycle to work, I am only using my car during non peak times.

But still, i'd like this to stay on topic, The replacement of on street parking with a taxi rank. For now anyone is allowed to drive into town, and as long as that is the case we need somewhere to park.

No the space is mixed use. Plenty of loading bays around the city are the same. Does the fact that taxis can use them after 2000 mean that they are abolishing loading bays ?? No it doesnt.

The city has enough on street and off street parking at night time. The city does not have enough rank spaces. Its very simple. You can complain all you want but its not going to get it changed. Your argument for wanting to be able to park there holds no water.

What advantage are more / larger ranks to the public?

I would like to have a direct answer to this question if you can manage.

There is no need for the attitude.

Personally I dont think the public are any better served by more or bigger ranks. They are fairly well served as it is in the city. I think there should be more ranks outside the city centre which would benefit the public.

My point is, they are doing this for the drivers, not the public. I know you find this hard to accept but thats the reality of the situation. However more rank space means less drivers cruising around which means less congestion and that does benefit the public.

Is that a clear enough answer or would you like me to use flow charts and a compass for ya??

• Advertisement

Personally I dont think the public are any better served by more or bigger ranks. They are fairly well served as it is in the city. I think there should be more ranks outside the city centre which would benefit the public.

I did not mean to come across with an attitude in my post, I apologies for that.

If the public are not being any better served then there is no need to put these larger ranks in place. It is a public service, there to serve the demand of the public, once the demand of the public is filled there is no need to increase the capacity of the service.

I get your point that it is for the drivers and not the public, but I simply can't agree with you. Sure taxi drivers have the right to stand up for themselves, but I have to right to make my voice heard in protest when something has been taken away from me.

And I always love a good flow chart :)

I did not mean to come across with an attitude in my post, I apologies for that.

If the public are not being any better served then there is no need to put these larger ranks in place. It is a public service, there to serve the demand of the public, once the demand of the public is filled there is no need to increase the capacity of the service.

I get your point that it is for the drivers and not the public, but I simply can't agree with you. Sure taxi drivers have the right to stand up for themselves, but I have to right to make my voice heard in protest when something has been taken away from me.

And I always love a good flow chart :)

Of course its your right to protest, but its not like you have no other options. Taxi driver options are far more limited.

No there isnt a need to increase the capacity of the service, but that was done for years. Issuing plates when there was less demand for Taxis not more. The Councils/ Taxi Regualtor created this mess and its up to them to solve it. Drivers are only trying to make a living. Isnt it better to have Taxis ranked legally than illegally where they are far more likely to inconvienince you and others??

Thanks for clarifying you point.

In fact I cycle to work, I am only using my car during non peak times.

But still, i'd like this to stay on topic, The replacement of on street parking with a taxi rank. For now anyone is allowed to drive into town, and as long as that is the case we need somewhere to park.

Likewise for taxis they need somewhere to rank up and ply for hire, what give's the private motorist any greater rights than a taxi driver, other than a private motorist will occupy a space for a far longer time than a taxi driver ( even given the dire straights the industry is in now! ) and cost the council more for his single car in 1 hour than say 3 or 4 taxis

Logicly speaking taxi drivers give a far better value for any allocated space simply because it will serve more than one vehicle.

Now of course we could go the whole hog and limit public and taxi parking to 10 mins maximum which would satisfy a whole heap of solution seekers as taxi drivers would find it easier to find a vacant or vacating spot and private motorists could bring their cars in and not clog the streets up anything upto 8 hours a day

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

im sorry, but you are 100% wrong here, All taxi's are licenced PUBLIC service vehicles.

i for one have no problems with the extra rank spaces, just park 2 mins around the corner, yes you;ll be 2 mins later to your highly valued coffee......or maybe buy a travel mug and bring your own coffee, how does that sound............

For now anyone is allowed to drive into town, and as long as that is the case we need somewhere to park.

whats wrong with one of the 10,000 other parking spots?

more taxis on stand by. less taxis congesting the city.

now.....

What advantage are more parking spots to the public?

you do know that the current number of dublin city council parking spots are not being filled every day, far from it by the way.

sorry double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dereko1969

this whole thread is so that some numpty can park for free right beside where he drinks his awful coffee on a sofa so he can pretend he's monica from friends, jesus wept.

taxipete has explained that it's more beneficial for nearly everyone (apart from you) that taxis aren't continuously driving around the city centre plying for trade. i'm not the biggest fan of taxi drivers but this is a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I also go to gigs in the evenings and I don't want to have to pay another €10 for 3 hours parking.

A few car parks do special rates after 6pm, 5-7 euro for entry after 5/6pm, less if the normal hourly rate is less than the overnight rate at the time you leave. Not a huge amount to be paying.

dereko1969 wrote: »
    this whole thread is so that some numpty can park for free right beside where he drinks his awful coffee on a sofa so he can pretend he's monica from friends, jesus wept.

taxipete has explained that it's more beneficial for nearly everyone (apart from you) that taxis aren't continuously driving around the city centre plying for trade. i'm not the biggest fan of taxi drivers but this is a non-issue.

exactly, its all because some guy lost his free parking in the evenings, very petty imo.

kceire wrote: »
    im sorry, but you are 100% wrong here, All taxi's are licenced PUBLIC service vehicles.

Nothing in what you have said contradicts anything I have said. A taxi is a licensed PUBLIC service vehicle as you say. However there is no obligation to the public attached to this license. People can call a leopard a tiger but it's till a leopard.

A taxi sitting vacant at a rank for whatever length of time whether it be minutes or hours does not constitute a public service. It is only when the driver takes a fare that he/she is engaged in providing a public service.
    i for one have no problems with the extra rank spaces, just park 2 mins around the corner, yes you;ll be 2 mins later to your highly valued coffee......or maybe buy a travel mug and bring your own coffee, how does that sound............

Yes the original poster's argument of wanting to stop and buy a coffee is a weak one (regardless of the strength of the coffee). My point is that businesses pay Commercial Rates and if potential customers of that business want to park nearby without getting clamped then they should be able to.

It was only November when the council made it's pay and display areas free in a bid to boost trade in the city for the Christmas period. Are these businesses fine now? Have their customers found alternative places to park since? The point is on street parking is important to businesses whether you think it is or not.
    whats wrong with one of the 10,000 other parking spots?

Get real
    What advantage are more parking spots to the public?

you do know that the current number of dublin city council parking spots are not being filled every day, far from it by the way.

I've answered this above

Wrong on so many counts. First off all the Councils issued licences up until alot more recently than 5 years.

Councils were responsible for issuing licenses up until October 2005. Not quite five years ago if you want to be petty.

Also Councils were not responsible for the amount of licenses they issued up until then as this was decided by Bobby Molloy. Why should the City Council be responsible for providing more space for taxis to rank?

• Advertisement
Advertisement