Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

State of emergency.....what happens???

Options
  • 08-01-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭

So if we run out of grit completely and the frost and snow keeps up, what roads are going to have to close?? Who decides and how? Or does the government decide to close everything until its over?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

More than likely no roads in Donegal would be closed, its more likely that they close smaller roads around cities, forcing everyone onto the one road and that road will be gritted.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

State of emergency ha ha ha ha

this country is a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

In fairness, how do you plan for a month long cold spell when on average we only get a few days at a time?

If the council kept months of grit in reserve we'd get people complaining of them wasting money on too much grit so its a no win situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Harps wrote: »
    In fairness, how do you plan for a month long cold spell when on average we only get a few days at a time?

If the council kept months of grit in reserve we'd get people complaining of them wasting money on too much grit so its a no win situation.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

Was there not a story at the start of all this about the council saying how much they'd spent in recent years building sheds to house the stuff, I think it was huge money! Ah the property bubble, seems everyone was getting in on it!

They managed in the 80's without the sheds but now have them at a cost, there is one near bridgend, (on righthand side travelling from Burt to Bridgend) pretty small and if thats what they built throughout the county then pretty much a waste of money if they are even required. Though probably were forced to build them for some stupid EU Health and Safety law or something.

They are at pains now however, to stress money is not this issue, supplies is, though the Co Manager was quoted in the press this week that there would be a knockon effect on road spending this year because of gritting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,382 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

raining here in donegal town this morning
    national emergency worked - melted the snow ;)

or was it noel dempsey's return ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Angry Troll

and now i hear water supplies are running short with people leaving their taps open to prevent freezing and all the pipes burst...hope the rain helps to alleviate that a little...

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

forcast says its all going to be washed away on friday back to the good old rain ha ha , have to say i`ll miss this weather, people depend way to much on the council you need to start to look after your selfs i never seen people complain so much in this country about a little bit of snow, i live on a road that is never gritted its ice and snow since the week before christmas and it hasn't kept me from going to town yet and is even worse today with the thaw water on top of ice that will probably freeze tonight but i`ll manage because i am prepared

Advertisement