Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independant devs/OpenGL deserve some support

Options
  • 08-01-2010 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭

Here is an interesting read: Link

Gamers should help support indie game devs, and companies such as id software which provide game engine implementations using OpenGL as a backend, along
    with frontend api's like directX to interface on Windows/Xbox 360. Supporting companies that refuse to consider OpenGL/SDL and other open standard libraries hurt
    consumer choice, as DirectX games cannot be ported to other platforms such as Mac or Linux. Consoles such as the PS3/wii do not use DirectX.

The Penumbra series by Frictional games and World of Goo by 2D BOY stand out in recent times as very polished games, despite the limitations of resources afforded by large devs.
    I reckon people should at least try to support these devs because their titles tend to rival large commercial game devs for gameplay originality which is sadly lacking in the latest
    incarnation of Madden or FIFA. I personally think these companies deserve some support considering their ability to produce pretty solid games at a low price.

Screw EA and their well lined pockets, these guys deserve some cash for their efforts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I certainly agree with the need for people to support indie developers more. It actually upset me to see the number of people pirating World Of Goo and not even caring that it was literally the creation of two guys with left EA to do their own thing. On a side note, I'd recommend people check out the entires to the Independent Games Festival this year and indeed in previous years. While there is only even a handful of winners that doesn't mean there are some other cracking titles which can either be played for free or purchased for a small price directly from the devs themselves.

That being said, the hilariously biased article about DirectX should be entirely ignored. It's amusing that they go on about "FUD" yet use it so liberally themselves. They've completely ignored the development of the API which progressed with some serious input from the industry and as well as the fact that it was more than established before the launch of the XBox. Technically speaking, the comparison between the two APIs is also hilariously incorrect. They've also completely ignored the fact that the PS3 uses OpenGL ES for is rendering needs and so the API isn't exactly shunned these days. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gizmo wrote: »
    That being said, the hilariously biased article about DirectX should be entirely ignored. It's amusing that they go on about "FUD" yet use it so liberally themselves. They've completely ignored the development of the API which progressed with some serious input from the industry and as well as the fact that it was more than established before the launch of the XBox. Technically speaking, the comparison between the two APIs is also hilariously incorrect. They've also completely ignored the fact that the PS3 uses OpenGL ES for is rendering needs and so the API isn't exactly shunned these days. :)

Yeah, but it's microsoft and everything microsoft is inherently evil and shít or some other such twaddle.

Completely agree that it would be great if opengl was used more. Lack of competition is pretty much always a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

gizmo wrote: »
    They've also completely ignored the fact that the PS3 uses OpenGL ES for is rendering needs and so the API isn't exactly shunned these days. :)
    While there is an OpenGL implementation available for PS3, most self-respecting devs use the proprietary libGCM which gives much more control over the hardware - sorely needed given the RSX's lackluster performance.

The fact is that D3D's tools, documentation and support are miles ahead of OpenGL. Combine that with the 360 graphics API being very similar to D3D, and devs are going to continue using Direct3D for PC graphics for the foreseeable future.

Although having said that, PC dev tools in general are miles behind that of the consoles - one of the reasons that the PC gaming world is in decline IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I was not aware of libGCM being used to implement graphics
    on the PS3. In fact, i know very little when it comes to graphics
    so it does not surprise me.

Apparently, OpenGL is mainly used for simulations and the like
    where precision is of more concern. Fact of the matter is that
    Microsoft do provide a decent stack for games, even if it is not
    portable across any other system.

Games like Dragon Age are not even "native" to the Mac, just
    wrapped using cider. Similar to WINE or Cedega. Apart from
    indies and the likes of id or icculus, porting is a major undertaking
    if the game was not designed to be portable in the first place.

People pirating World Of Goo should feel a bit ashamed, considering
    the game was and still is a lot less expensive than most games released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

I'm all for indy games but porting games for linux/mac is just a waste of time and money.

Perfect opportunity to support the 2008 Independent Games Festival grand prize winner since it's being sold on a pay what you want basis until the 15th of January.
    http://www.crayonphysics.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Seifer wrote: »
    I'm all for indy games but porting games for linux/mac is just a waste of time and money.
    http://www.crayonphysics.com/

Not if the game engine is platform agnostic, along with
    the use of libraries such as SDL and OpenAL and GLUT.

There are a few game developers out there that actually
    port albeit somewhat old titles to Linux such as LGP.
    Indies are moving in the right direction.

Tiny market in comparison to Windows I agree, but one
    that is very dedicated to new releases because of the lack
    of games. I have bought games from LGP, id, and now the
    indie devs. People support this dedication by the devs.

EA don't care unless they ship x amount of copies whereas
    smaller game devs know they are missing out on a bit of
    potential revenue by shunning Mac and Linux.

2D BOY posted their birthday sale results on their blog
    recently. Interestingly, the Linux and Mac users tended
    to pay a respectable sum for the game: Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

Im all for independent devs, open source and all that. I also think independent devs will do just fine as it is, people are seeing fun games on the likes of steam that cost a fraction of a full game but can provide just as much enjoyment with more focus on gameplay than effects.

The article feels quite biased against DirectX and MS, which is understandable, but to dismiss developers using directx as just being a vicious circle thing is silly, its pretty clear its been taken for substantial reasons, probably related to cross platform with the 360, support, ease of use and features. Creating a game now is a multimillion dollar investment, anything that makes it faster and cheaper will always be taken on board very quickly, thats just the way it is, shareholders want to make there money and people want sexy graphics.Fair dues to ID for pushing Open GL, they are clearly willing to spend a few bob on creating there own game engine though.

Advertisement