Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

garda in august any one done it

Options
  • 08-01-2010 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

been planing next years trip and i found this it looks interesting ,any one done this any views would be welcome,what is a vignette and how much does it cost

route to Italy via: le harve/Belgium/Luxembourg/Metz/Strasbourg/Colmar/Basle/Gottard tunnel/Milan.....garda

Cheaper fuel in Luxembourg, motorway all the way, no tolls, except two minor ones near Strasbourg and in Italy. The municipal site at "Obernai" is a popular stop on this route. the Alsace is a nice area then a short hop into Switzerland (we spend time in Switzerland as well as we love it) and on to Garda. we use the motorways in Italy a lot cheaper then France. you will have to buy a vignette at border in Switzerland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

sorry for answering my own question but found this http://www.german-way.com/autobahn2.html

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

just a word of warning: Lake Garda will be jam-packed in August, you'd want to pre-book your site now.

peasant wrote: »
    just a word of warning: Lake Garda will be jam-packed in August, you'd want to pre-book your site now.

yes been reading that it can get busy, I'm not grate at booking guess ill have to get the finger out if we er going to do this :)
    o/p should read this years trip all ways take a few weeks to get it right

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Hi we've visited Lake Garda in June and another time in November and its beautiful you'll love it, there are some Italian style Aires that you can park over night for a small fee or free, the roads are narrow around most of the lakes and have tunnels and just be careful going through the tunnels that you dont clip the roof of your van, we got through no ok. We visited Lake Como and Lake Maggiore and there wondeful. I would recommend you visit a small unknown lake called Lake Orta, its beautiful and our favourite of all the lakes. If you deceide to go to Lake Orta I have directions for free overnight parking for you with toilets. Direcions are: in the town there is a tower, I would describe it as an Arabian style tower, you cant miss it, beside it is a roundabout, from the roundabout head down the road with the sign for bus and camper parking, the parking will be on your right, on the left is a steep hill, drive up this and you'll come to a fork, there is a sign for the left fork "No Entry", make sure no one is coming towards you and head down the "No Entry" short hill. It will make sense when your there. There should be a good few campers parked here. There is a small stone path down to the town and up the hill there are 21 church's which are lovely to walk around, the views of the lake are wonderful. There is a small island in the middle of the lake and you can get a boat to it and there is a little bus/train that drives around the town. Enjoy your trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Repolho

route to Italy via: le harve/Belgium/Luxembourg/Metz/Strasbourg/Colmar/Basle/Gottard tunnel/Milan.....garda

Just wondering, how many miles is this, and how many hours driving and also how long of a holiday are you planning?

• Advertisement

Repolho wrote: »
    Just wondering, how many miles is this, and how many hours driving and also how long of a holiday are you planning?

the route will go some thing like this.i have taken this from another site i have been looking at so we will be tweaking it to suit ,we hope to have about 20 days on the road 5/6 days in garda and back up the north coast

10 Mon Dover for ferry, Sleep Calais
    11 Tue Calais to Metz 290mls – 320 via Lille/Luxembourg
    12 Wed Metz to Luzern 518total/228day Longer/cheaper via Lille
    13 Thu Luzern sightsee.
    14 Fri Luzern to Garda1 748/230

although this trip is looking less likely as the cost of the sites on garda are coming in very hi for this time of year,€11 per person per day on top of the cost of the pitch :eek: with 4 of us it will come to €75 a day

• Site Banned Posts: 243 ✭✭yardeyar

Hi, we rarely use sites, we wild camp for free and you'll always find somewhere safe to pull over for the night. So......... Go to Lake Garda and WILD CAMP! YEAH!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

yardeyar wrote: »
    Go to Lake Garda and WILD CAMP! YEAH!

Good luck !
    Without local knowledge, finding a suitable spot will be next to impossible, especially in August ...plus it's forbidden and will be patrolled ...especially in August.

The friendly Carabinieri will even drive you to the next hole in the wall to collect your 350 Euro fine :pac:

thanks guys for the pointers but when the 2 teenagers decided to join us garda was not an option ,we will do it but not this trip,booked a site on the Atlantic coast near Bordeaux with hope of getting the weather,they are flying back home after 8 days so who knows where we will end up after that :D .so if any one could recommend a nice safe aeries to bring us to Bordeaux we are going to take 2 days to get down

Advertisement