Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Emo.....

Options
  • 08-01-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭

It's a word that gets thrown around a lot about us young'uns.So,whats the/your definition?fashion?Music?Attitude? Insult?

discuss,in 500 words or less.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

A relative of the ostrich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭phlegms

Aoibheann.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Emo - a person who want to fit in a certain crowd they see as cool as trendy, who happens to have a liking for colourful clothes, eyeliner and an annoying fringe (it's always in their eyes). Oh yeah and they're all very "emotional" as well, and they think they're the only ones. Like we all don't feel, we just don't blab on about it. :rolleyes:

Basically, sheep who do as their friends do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

jumpguy wrote: »
    Emo - a person who want to fit in a certain crowd they see as cool as trendy, who happens to have a liking for colourful clothes, eyeliner and an annoying fringe (it's always in their eyes).

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND!

NOBODY UNDERSTANDS!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

^People who say this coupled with Nightmare before Christmas/MCR clothing = emo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

Emo - a person who want to fit in a certain crowd they see as cool as trendy, who happens to have a liking for colourful clothes, eyeliner and an annoying fringe (it's always in their eyes). Oh yeah and they're all very "emotional" as well, and they think they're the only ones. Like we all don't feel, we just don't blab on about it. :rolleyes:

a lot of people with those fringes and make up aren't sheep,Are they still emo?

for me it's :You live in the suburbs,your parents are both successfully employed,you don't have to work for your money,you spend your time anyway you like ......

And yet you say your life sucks.Go play with the traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

a lot of people with those fringes and make up aren't sheep,Are they still emo?

for me it's :You live in the suburbs,your parents are both successfully employed,you don't have to work for your money,you spend your time anyway you like ......

And yet you say your life sucks.Go play with the traffic.
    Did I say they were? Incase you didn't notice, I was belting out a stereotypical emo. An emo is just following their friends, it's how alot of things in teens start...

TBH I didn't mind emos when I was 14 years old or so (younger teen years), but now it just annoys me. They overdrink, have a great time, and then claim to be depressed. Their just a bunch of drama queens or attention seekers. If you want real pain and suffering go see a family who's bearly any income, or the homeless, or **** off the Africa and see how most people live there. But I understand it's a phase that most people will probably come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Did I say they were? Incase you didn't notice, I was belting out a stereotypical emo. An emo is just following their friends, it's how alot of things in teens start...

Ehh :confused:

That really makes no sense. Someone doesn't become something else just because there friends dress or act a certain way, they do it because they feel comfortable with that sort of frame of mind and find that image suits them.

Some very narrow minded ideas being thrown around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

phlegms wrote: »
    Aoibheann.

Oh you! :P I know how much you want to be one. It's ok, I only have the fringe, you have every other emo trait. *nods* Be strong, phlegms, we won't judge you much if you do succumb completely.. >_>

I'll be back at some point to answer this a little more on topic.. :pac:

Edit: Actually, I hate the emo stereotype because it means something entirely different to what it used to. Now they've just taken a load of things I like (Converse, Vans, The Nightmare before Christmas, eyeliner.. :pac:) and decided that wearing these things automatically makes you emo. I can guarantee you I was wearing them before people decided to label the group of eejits dossing around cental bank "emo". It's not even what emo is supposed to mean. It's supposed to be about the music, not merely a fashion statement!

In short, I don't really care that much about "emos" (I'll slag 'em on occasion, and people like to slag my side-fringe..:P), but there's nothing more I hate than incorrect labelling of something.. and the urge people feel as a rule to put labels on things. Not everything fits neatly into a category just because you say so! :P /rant

Oh, and here's a wee wiki link about said emo music. That is actual emo music, for those who are thinking it's something completely different.

*brushes fringe from eyes* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Someone who listens to emo music. /thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I didn't know they still made emos! I get called one occasionally, got it a lot more often when I had my purple hair. I miss my purple hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

Emo is someone that hates their life and hurts themselves (well thats the impression i've got..) Unfortunatly, there are people like that out there though.

I also hate how if you listen to Paramore, youmeatsix and wear red skinnies and converse etc, you're labelled an emo by some people... :/

edit: I don't think i've gotten my answer right for what emos are because everyone seems to be giving different answers??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

They are people who try to be more "unique" than most people but in their attempts, end up less unique than when they started out.

Then there are the "hardcore emos" who cut themselves attention seeking.

It is highly overused word. It is now used to describe anyone who wears skater shoes and listens to MUSE/MCR/etc.. I listen to Muse(not MCR?) and wear Converse and other comfy shoes, and have a fringe:eek: Does this mean I'm an emo. No.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Genre of softcore punk music that integrates unenthusiastic melodramatic 17 year olds who dont smile, high pitched overwrought lyrics and inaudible guitar rifts with tight wool sweaters, tighter jeans, itchy scarfs (even in the summer), ripped chucks with favorite bands signature, black square rimmed glasses, and ebony greasy unwashed hair that is required to cover at least 3/5 ths of the face at an angle.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=emo

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

/thread

(slightly NSFW...)

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Emo is someone that hates their life and hurts themselves (well thats the impression i've got..) Unfortunatly, there are people like that out there though.

I also hate how if you listen to Paramore, youmeatsix and wear red skinnies and converse etc, you're labelled an emo by some people... :/

edit: I don't think i've gotten my answer right for what emos are because everyone seems to be giving different answers??

That sounds more like depression to me tbh. :/

Most "emos" I know only like the clothing, although some do act like the stereotypical "I'm so deep, look at how deep and sad I am" crap.

The fashion sucks, but meh, I try not to get to worked up over bull like teen fads. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

One thing that bothers me about the whole emo thing is depression,it's not fashionable or "Deep".Most of the people who talk about it have no idea what they're on about.^^That's the good kind of depressed.

Paramore are awesome[we've had this discussion....].There doesn't seem to be a definite defintion for 'emo'.

Bonus points for the Vid,Poetman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I love Jimmy Eat World. That is all.

*leaves thread*

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Basically, you just described most groups of teens.......

Emo is just a weird fashion thing that most people dont get, I dont get jocks/skobes/whatever either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Arcade Panda

emo.jpg

:D

I listen to MCR...probably the "emoist" band going....meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭hitlersson666

Leave Britney ALONE *sob sob*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I listen to MCR...probably the "emoist" band going....meh

Anyone who makes such a claim has never experienced the emo pantomime of Hawthorne Heights;

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

emo_kid.png

rofl

I LOVE IT

Fad wrote: »
    Anyone who makes such a claim has never experienced the emo pantomime of Hawthorne Heights;

omg thats disturbing lol wow that is EMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't know what an emo is. And I honestly don't care either. I don't care if it's a state of mind/dress sense/type of music, because it really doesn't matter.

And from the variety of answers here, it seems nobody else really knows either.

I will say one thing, the music generally associated with emo is shít.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I love Jimmy Eat World. That is all.

*leaves thread*

Then I love you :)

An aside: Jimmy Eat World (I say this because they were mentioned in the wikipedia article on emo that Aoibhypoo linked - something about them bringing emo to the mainstream) hate their occasional emo label. So much so that the word is censored (albeit jokingly) on their message board.

So um, yeah. Melodic guitar rock ftw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

A Neurotic wrote: »

An aside: Jimmy Eat World (I say this because they were mentioned in the wikipedia article on emo that Aoibhypoo linked - something about them bringing emo to the mainstream) hate their occasional emo label. So much so that the word is censored (albeit jokingly) on their message board.

Actually yeah, scanning through it I was a tad surprised to see them mentioned. Jimmy Eat World ftw! \o/

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yeah, I'm pretty sure MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE claimed to not be emo before. So yeah, you can't trust bands on their own genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

A Neurotic wrote: »

Listening to Carry You at the moment, only good song on Chase This Light. (Controversial, I know!)

But yeah, just had an image of all these links being used in this thread ten years from now when the inevitable "So you were born in the noughties" nostalgia threads appear...
    I'm getting old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

They're just another subset of teenagers that base their outward personality around what kind of music they like. Just their music is more whiney and their dress code annoys most people.

It's really a case of all teenagers being complete ****wits. Except me because I'm deadly.

Advertisement