Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st Time Build - Core i5 - Need Advice

Options
  • 08-01-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hey. This is my first time building a computer but after seeing that recent Aldi PC and deciding I could do a better job myself, I decided it's time to upgrade from this old Dell Inspiron 9300 Laptop.

I want the PC for general use: web surfing, managing my Media collection (iTunes for music and possibly ripping Dvds with other programs), running general programs (like Microsoft Office and maybe a bit of photoshop here and there). You know yourself, I want a PC that can handle what I throw at it. I haven't listed gaming, since I have a PS3 & I haven't had a computer for quite a while that can handle games, but I wouldn't mind this PC being able to play new games. I will also try my hand at overclocking, but nothing too extreme.

I'm thinking of using Komplett for most parts, since they have a decent selection and price and plus I live in Dublin so I might be able to pick up from their office, if it works out cheaper. But if anywhere else has cheaper prices, I'll buy there.
    I've been doing a ton of research and this is what I've come up with:

Processor:
    Intel i5-750
    €170 + Free Shipping from Amazon
    I don't think I need to break the bank with the i7, as I've heard the i5 does a pretty good job. Amazon was the cheapest I could find.

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD3, P55, Socket-1156
    € 116.03 from Komplett
    I've heard Gigabyte are a very reliable make. I don't think I need the Crossfire capabilities the UD4 and higher models offer. USB 3.0 etc. is nice futureproofing.

Graphics Card: I'm not 100% sure here
    Sapphire Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    With Vapor X €159 from Komplett
    Without Vapor X €138 from Komplett

Sapphire Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5
    With Vapor X €133 from Komplett

Any advice on this? Should I get the 5770 or is the 5750 enough? And then is the Vapor-x technology worth the extra €20 or so?

PSU
    Corsair TX 650W PSU
    €83 from Komplett
    OR
    Corsair TX 750W PSU
    €109 from Komplett

I know the 5700 Series Graphics Cards only need 450W or 600W, if Crossfire is ever used, so I would think that the 650W would be enough just in case? But then again I hear that PSU's are usually the one component that is re-used the most in upgrades so would it be worth my while just spending the €25 on the 750w?

HDD
    As much as I'd love a SDD for the speed I couldn't find any cheap/big enough to make it worth my while. Unless anyone else has? So I found this:

Western Digital Caviar® Black™ 640GB
    €59 from Komplett

I heard this is a great performing Hard drive and although I might want more space in the future, hard drives are the easiest upgrade to make so I think the 640GB will do me for the moment.

RAM
    So many different choices here... 4GB should be enough though.
    4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaw Series (8-8-8-24) Dual Channel kit for Intel P55
    €105 + €5 P&P from Mymemoryc.com
    OR
    4GB G.Skill DDR3 PC3-12800 ECO Series (7-8-7-24, 1.35V) Dual Channel kit
    €111 + €5 P&P from Mymemoryc.com

Any opinions? I just heard G.Skill were good and to get either the Rip Jaws or the Eco (for the low voltage)

Case
    I'm not sure here either, they all look adequate. I did find this one though (the only complaints people had was the lack of space under the motherboard for cables), oh and I like Blue:
    NZXT Tempest
    €89 from Komplett

CPU Cooler
    I know I need one, but so far I have no idea what to get. Any help?

Optical Drive
    I just need any generic CD/DVD Burner €20 or so

OS
    I'm a student so I think I'll pick up Windows 7 64bit Professional for €50 from Software4students.ie
    It sucks that UCD don't have it cheaper :-(

Wireless card
    I need a wireless card/dongle because my modem is downstairs. I presume any bog standard couple of dollar job on ebay will work fine? I don't need anything intense for file transfer, just something that will get my crappy 3Mb/s Eircom broadband through.

I have a spare mouse, keyboard, monitor (1680x1050), so I don't need any of them. It would be nice if the computer could handle more than the 1680x1050, just in case I upgrade.

Assuming the CPU cooler costs around €30, all this adds up to around €886, which is a nice basepoint for a budget. I don't mind paying anything in and around that as long as it's worth the cash.

Anyway, any help would be much very much appreciated and if you know anywhere I could get any of these components cheaper, that would also be brilliant.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

well on the h/d go for this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=496258 great drive and double the size

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Messerschmitt

Should I get the 5770 or is the 5750 enough?

I would definately go for the 5770, but I do "game" quite a bit. Read reviews and benchmarks. The big difference the GFX card will make will be when you're gaming. So if you think you don't need it, you could save a few Euros.

Again this is just my opinion, but I would go for one of Corsairs modular HX series. I belive they are more efficient than the TX series, and are also modular.

If you want a CPU cooler for 30 Euros, I think the Scythe Mugen 2 is good, read some reviews.

The case; I think the Tempest is good, but I can't promise. The CoolerMaster HAF 922 is popular these days, but the Tempest is probably fine too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

AFAIK the Mugen 2 isn't compatible with LGA1156 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Solitaire wrote: »
    AFAIK the Mugen 2 isn't compatible with LGA1156 :(

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=575732

They added 1156 support with this Rev.B model :)

Edit : Just to answer a few questions for you.

1.If you plan on getting an aftermarket cooler,then get the Eco's,the Ripjaws can have clearance problems with some HSF's

2.As a case,I would normally recommend the HAF 922,but that has a red led front fan,so I'll recommend the Lian Li PC-60,available from Komplett.Blue LED fan in the front and a high quality aluminum construction
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=578754

3. I'd go with the 650 watt PSU,it would run 2 5770's in Xfire no problem

4.The Samsung F3 is faster that the WD Black.I would get a single 500Gb now,and then another in the future and RAID0 them.Its the sort of setup I use and it will beat most SSD's on transfer speeds when short stroked (my array averages 230 mb/s)

5.The Vapor-X coolers are nice and would do a good job over the reference ''batman'' design of the 5 series

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭RayCarley

Thanks for the help guys. I think I've decided a few things:

HDD: I'll get the Samsung F3, probably the 1tb, since it's cheap enough.
    GPU: 5770, I think I'll opt for the Vapor X one.
    RAM: I'll get the Eco's
    Case: I head the Antec 900 is also good, I presume that or the HAF 922 it will do the job?

PSU: Are the HX Modular series that much better? What is the difference anyway? Is it worth the extra cash?

CPU Cooler: Someone else suggested the Cooler Master Hyper 212, which would be better, that or the Scythe Mugen 2

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

RayCarley wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. I think I've decided a few things:
    Case: I head the Antec 900 is also good, I presume that or the HAF 922 it will do the job?

PSU: Are the HX Modular series that much better? What is the difference anyway? Is it worth the extra cash?
    Do not buy an Antec 900, they suck major! Get that Lian Li case posted above it's like €10 more, and well worth it. I speak from experience on the Antec 900 too, the Antec 300 has pretty much the same area size inside been like €40 cheaper.

The modular series isn't that much different the non modular series will do the job very good too, but it's always nice to remove cables and the likes you don't need.

Do not buy an Antec 900, they suck major! Get that Lian Li case posted above it's like €10 more, and well worth it. I speak from experience on the Antec 900 too, the Antec 300 has pretty much the same area size inside been like €40 cheaper.

The modular series isn't that much different the non modular series will do the job very good too, but it's always nice to remove cables and the likes you don't need.

I wouldn't say it sucks major buuuuuuuuut the Lian Li,or the HAF 922 are easier to work with in terms of cable managment.Also,the 900 is not wide at all.Its tall,but not wide

Are the HX Modular series that much better? What is the difference anyway? Is it worth the extra cash?

The TX series will work fine. But the HX series are newer, more efficient and modular (This means that certain cables can be attached/detached if you don't need them, to save space). There is some info about the differences here:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1430775. You could get either one and you will probably install it and never think twice about it, I just feel it is worth a few bob more because it will last for years.

As for the coolers, not a huge difference. As far as I know, the CM Hyper 212 is cheaper, and has a better mount, but the Scythe Mugen has slightly better cooling abilities.

The case; the Antec 900 is reported to be loud, but I don't know how it compares to other cases. The Lian Li is good if you want blue, the CM is also a very solid case. Pick whichever one you prefer in terms of looks, because both should perform adequately.

Cheers for all the advice guys.

PSU: I like the sound of the modular ones, so I've looked around and I think I'll go for:
    Corsair HX 650W PSU
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=492649
    Apparently it's more efficient and newer than the HX620 model, so I think I'm willing to pay the extra amount.

Cooler: Komplett don't seem to stock the Scythe Mugen and from the sounds of it the CM Hyper 212 I think it will do that job. So I'll go for the CM.

Case: Ok the Antec 900 is out. But I'm still unsure between the CM HAF 922 and the Lian Li. The HAF 922 seems to have more reviews, but to be honest I don't mind the colour if it means a better case...
    CM HAF 922: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=461645
    Lian Li: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=578754

Cheers for all the advice guys.

PSU: I like the sound of the modular ones, so I've looked around and I think I'll go for:
    Corsair HX 650W PSU
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=492649
    Apparently it's more efficient and newer than the HX620 model, so I think I'm willing to pay the extra amount.

Cooler: Komplett don't seem to stock the Scythe Mugen and from the sounds of it the CM Hyper 212 I think it will do that job. So I'll go for the CM.

Case: Ok the Antec 900 is out. But I'm still unsure between the CM HAF 922 and the Lian Li. The HAF 922 seems to have more reviews, but to be honest I don't mind the colour if it means a better case...
    CM HAF 922: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=461645
    Lian Li: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=578754
    The 650HX is a great choice.

And they do stock the Revision 2 of the Mugen 2, which supports 1156 sockets, it was posted above but here it is again.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=575732

And for the case, CM would probably be a more known brand than Lian Li, due to Lian Li having the more pricey of cases, but that's with good reason. They do brilliant jobs making their cases and I have one myself, but the difference or whatever it was €8?? You can't go wrong with the Lian Li.

Either case is great, but I'd go for the Lian Li since their almost the same price. Trust me, you'll love it!

• Advertisement

Good, combined with the Lian Li or the HAF 922 you shouldn't have any problems with temps. If you get into extreme overclocking you can always upgrade to one of these:http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=502731 :D

It's a nice build by the way, well done ;)

Don't you hate when you're about to post a reply and then you do something and the whole thing disappears? Anyway I'll write a shortened version :)

I think I'll stick with the CM Hyper 212 for cooling, it looks the business.

As for the case, Lian Li certainly have a good reputation so I'll go for the
    LIAN LI PC-60FN

Will the 2 fans it has be enough for cooling? It's just many other cases seem to have more fans?

1 other final question and then I think I'm ready to order, yay:
    The version of Windows 7 I'm getting is the Upgrade version because that is the only one that was on offer for students and I have an old Windows XP licence from a laptop I can use. But will I be easily be able to install and activate Windows 7 cleanly on my new computer? This article says I should be able:
    http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

But then on the website I'm buy it off it has this:
    Please Note: changes to Irish release of Microsoft Windows 7

Software4Students ask all our customers to please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that we have is as follows:

This version of Windows 7 ships as an upgrade edition. It is NOT possible or permitted to perform a clean install with this product. You must have an existing valid Windows operating system on your hard disk. All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard.
    I suppose at worst I'll just have to install XP and then cleanly install 7 over it? What do you think?

Thanks again!

As for the case, Lian Li certainly have a good reputation so I'll go for the
    LIAN LI PC-60FN

Will the 2 fans it has be enough for cooling? It's just many other cases seem to have more fans?

From what I've seen of Lian-Li cases,the fans seem to be a little loud but in principal,they have it set up right,with the intake positioned low and the exhaust up high.If your worried about noise,look into Noctua (I run 2 of their P14's,great fans) or Noiseblocker fans

Deano12345 wrote: »
    From what I've seen of Lian-Li cases,the fans seem to be a little loud but in principal,they have it set up right,with the intake positioned low and the exhaust up high.If your worried about noise,look into Noctua (I run 2 of their P14's,great fans) or Noiseblocker fans
    The 4x140mm fans I had in my Armorsuit weren't really loud atall. The new ones I put in are slightly quieter, but not by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 andre_b91

You should also have a look at pixmania.ie, Ive built a similar spec'd pc to yours, though no HDD or CD/DVD drives as i used those from my older machine. All including shipping cost me €803.

andre_b91 wrote: »
    You should also have a look at pixmania.ie, Ive built a similar spec'd pc to yours, though no HDD or CD/DVD drives as i used those from my older machine. All including shipping cost me €803.

Cheers for mentioning that! Although they didn't have the Motherboard, Case or DVD drive I wanted and they didn't have the Harddrive and CPU cooler for less... I did find the gpu, psu and thermal paste for cheaper on Pixmania.ie. €30 cheaper in fact, but then minus the postage, you just saved me €16 :) Sure every little helps! I ordered all the rest off Komplett.

Oh and thanks IrishGrimReaper for the advice with the case, I've gone for the Lian Li.

I'll let you all know how it goes anyway :-) I just have to finish ordering the RAM and Windows 7 and then the waiting begins :)

Oh and thanks IrishGrimReaper for the advice with the case, I've gone for the Lian Li.
    No problem buddy! All the best with the build. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 andre_b91

No worries!Im glad that i could help :) Good luck with your build! Give me a shout if you need help with some of the parts since they're pretty much the same as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

I'll let you all know how it goes anyway :-) I just have to finish ordering the RAM and Windows 7 and then the waiting begins :)

I was looking at building something similiar based on the i5 as well so thanks for doing the leg work :) Please do post how it all works when you put it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭M00lers

This looks like a sweet build. All the best with it and don't forget to keep us all up to date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Cheers for mentioning that! Although they didn't have the Motherboard, Case or DVD drive I wanted and they didn't have the Harddrive and CPU cooler for less... I did find the gpu, psu and thermal paste for cheaper on Pixmania.ie. €30 cheaper in fact, but then minus the postage, you just saved me €16 :) Sure every little helps! I ordered all the rest off Komplett.

I would pay the extra €16 not to deal with pixmania...

I would pay the extra €16 not to deal with pixmania...

Funny you say that: so far after ordering everything last Sunday, Windows 7 arrived on Tuesday, the processor arrived on Wednesday from Amazon, today I got the psu and gpu from pixmania and I just got a text saying my komplett stuff is ready to pick up oh and my RAM just got back in stock & I found a voucher code on the Bargains Alert page that gave me free courier shipping from Memoryc. So all going well I should have everything by tomorrow...

only thing I'm worried about is the fact Pixmania decided to ship my thermal paste separately from the psu and gpu. Why? I have absolutely no idea. So I reckon chances are I will have everything by tomorrow except the thermal paste. Now that would just be comical.

Oh and by the way, has anyone ever used bethrifty.ie? I just realised I could have saved an extra €20 if I'd gone through them... ah well.

only thing I'm worried about is the fact Pixmania decided to ship my thermal paste separately from the psu and gpu. Why? I have absolutely no idea. So I reckon chances are I will have everything by tomorrow except the thermal paste. Now that would just be comical.

Did you decide to get a CPU cooler, because it should come with thermal paste. If not, the stock cooler will probably come with the paste already applied.

Good luck with the build.

Did you decide to get a CPU cooler, because it should come with thermal paste. If not, the stock cooler will probably come with the paste already applied.

Good luck with the build.

You're actually right! I probably should have looked that up beforehand, but apparently the Cooler Maser 212 Hyper Plus does come with some paste. Ah sure at least I'll have Arctic Silver 5 in reserve just in case!

Advertisement