Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

defrosted meat

Options
  • 08-01-2010 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

how long can u expect defrosted then cooked meat to last? i defrosted mince meat and cooked it - chilli, how long will it last? does defrosted meat last any less long than fresh meat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

3 days in the fridge, a month to six weeks if you freeze the cooked chilli.

Defrosted, raw meat will last as long in the fridge as fresh meat - 3 days, pretty much, as long as it was defrosted in the fridge. And, contrary to ridiculously (ill informed) popular belief, you CAN refreeze raw meat that has already been frozen and defrosted, as long as it was defrosted in the fridge in the first place.

*sits back and waits for the outraged howls of "You can't refreeze meat"*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Honey-ec wrote: »
    And, contrary to ridiculously (ill informed) popular belief, you CAN refreeze raw meat that has already been frozen and defrosted, as long as it was defrosted in the fridge in the first place.

It's not recommended and I don't think we need to rehash it again.

You can defrost the meat, cook the chilli and then refreeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Honey-ec wrote: »
    And, contrary to ridiculously (ill informed) popular belief, you CAN refreeze raw meat that has already been frozen and defrosted, as long as it was defrosted in the fridge in the first place.

Lol, it's fine if you like eating sh*te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Lol, it's fine if you like eating sh*te.

Again, it depends on how the meat has been treated before it came to you. Do you honestly think every cut of meat or chicken fillet you've ever bought has never been frozen before it made its way to you?

Mr. Magnolia, I'm conscious that you're a mod and am not deliberately trying to rehash this subject, but I do think that people need to realise why refreezing meat "isn't recommended". It's not because it's inherently dangerous, it's because An Bord Bia, Safe Food etc. have to aim at the lowest common denominator - the kind of people who will prepare a salad on the same chopping board they've just cut raw chicken on.

It's far easier to just say "Don't ever refreeze meat" then to lay out the circumstances in which it's safe to do so. But, the fact is, it is safe to refreeze raw, defrosted meat, if it's been defrosted properly in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

There is a definite twang from refrozen or badly frozen beef and lamb. Chicken fillets will be drier etc. This is the angle I'm coming from.

• Advertisement
Advertisement