Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Central Heating Water Coming out of Mains tap?

• 08-01-2010 8:21pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey I'm wondering if this is possible?

Our mains water is off for some weather related reason since yesterday, we've been careful not using our tank water or hot water. Our central heating was fine yesterday.

I've been checking the mains tap every so often and was delighted to see water come out soon after the heating came on. Then I noticed it was warmish and smelly like you get when you bleed the radiator, also the radiators are now gurgling and half full at best. Is it possible for the heating water to be coming out of the mains tap?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

i dont think this is possible the waters should never mix. there can be a connection to refill the heating system but there should be a non return valve to stop the heating water get back into the drinking water. i would run the tap water for a god while and see what happens. if the heating system is running low on water then refill it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I would but we couldn't find the small tank in the attic earlier, we're renting a 4yo house. Will take another trip into the fiberglass funhole tomorrow. :)

Going to look for the mains stopcock outside as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

There is a non return device attached to the inlet of your heating system and this may have failed (although it really is designed to not fail but if you have no mains pressure I can see how it could). ---- You need a plumber asap to look at that - you could contaminate the public water supply.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Will do. The radiators are all full again now though so there is mains water coming into the system now. Going to leave it to morning to run the tap again so we can get the plumber on the phone. There was a mains pipe repaired locally today so hopefully the smelly water is from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Chances are very slim, you'd have noticed the cross over a long time ago if so. Could be bad water coming from a dodgy main, bust repaired etc. Mains in house could be close to heating pipes, in walls, under concrete floors etc could be possible water lying in mains inside house became heated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement