Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Composite Wood / Plastic decking

• 08-01-2010 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

I`m looking at a product by an Irish company that is basically artificial wood, its sawdust and plastic. I`m trying to make up my mind, but the manufacturers pictures are tiny, so its hard to judge the quality. The main pros are that you dont have to varnish it or do any major cleaning of it on a regular basis, just the odd power hosing.

Has anybody any experience of this stuff, how does it look and feel ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭tpotter

I think the main advantage of this type of decking is found in the long run, as it has a higher up front cost, which will probably end up working itself out in the reduced maintenance costs over time.

I used some composite wood on a trailer floor and it worked very well, still does too. It is easy to work with and rather sturdy. Since I was only using a little bit of it, it wasn't terribly expensive, but I know if you bought enough of it to do an actual deck, you would be looking at a pretty high price.

From what I have read, the biggest problem people usually have, other than the cost, is that it can get stained and can't be refinished the same way you would a wooden deck...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭seclachi

tpotter wrote: »
    I think the main advantage of this type of decking is found in the long run, as it has a higher up front cost, which will probably end up working itself out in the reduced maintenance costs over time.

I used some composite wood on a trailer floor and it worked very well, still does too. It is easy to work with and rather sturdy. Since I was only using a little bit of it, it wasn't terribly expensive, but I know if you bought enough of it to do an actual deck, you would be looking at a pretty high price.

From what I have read, the biggest problem people usually have, other than the cost, is that it can get stained and can't be refinished the same way you would a wooden deck...

Thanks, According to the manufacturer it costs around the same as a hardwood flooring, but I think that could be worth it instead of having to crawl around on your hands and knees every so often varnishing the decking. Good point about the stains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

seclachi wrote: »
    According to the manufacturer it costs around the same as a hardwood flooring

Hardwood is expensive but it can look beautiful, needs less maintenance than softwood, it can be sanded & stained.

IMO Plastic is plastic - its looks plastic, its feels plastic and it can be slippy when wet.

Why not get a sample from the manufacturer, little photos rarely tell much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

There's a small sample decking made from this stuff outside the In-House showroom in Waterford.
    One word - FUGLY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

check out composite decking in b&q [EMAIL="www.diy.com/decking"]www.diy.com/decking[/EMAIL]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 64 ✭✭Mono25

make sure there is a uv screen in it or the colour will fade.

hardly think a product of that nature would be on the market without it but you never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 smokiejoe

seclachi wrote: »
    I`m looking at a product by an Irish company that is basically artificial wood, its sawdust and plastic. I`m trying to make up my mind, but the manufacturers pictures are tiny, so its hard to judge the quality. The main pros are that you dont have to varnish it or do any major cleaning of it on a regular basis, just the odd power hosing.

Has anybody any experience of this stuff, how does it look and feel ?

did you go ahead and put in the composite decking? I have seen some websites where it looks fabulous but am worried that it will look a bit plastic.

Advertisement