Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to set up your own course (and get it certified).

Options
  • 08-01-2010 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm a new graduate, fresh from a Business degree and a Masters in Finance. During my Masters especially, I became fairly disillusioned with the general layout and structure of the course, and felt that I really learned nothing of relevance from it at all.

I've always had good ideas about teaching, the relevancy of different coursework and modules, and how to improve upon what's already in place.

Lately, I've been considering teaching myself, and I was wondering how difficult it is to set up and teach your own courses (for example in Management, Business Studies, Economics etc.). Also I'm wondering if you would need to apply for certification, or if non-certified courses carry much weight on their own. There are also issues such as possible legalities and rules that I don't know about that I'd like to hear about.

People seem to set up their own courses all the time, whether it be exercise classes, language classes or computer classes. I have a real passion for quality education and feel I can organise a course that would be really beneficial and relevant to students. I understand I can't just rent a room and teach but I'd love to hear anyone's experiences?

Anyone want to comment or give their thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Sassie

Perhaps it is worth taking a look at the FETAC website and see how to go about having your idea developed into a module?
    You could also look at the route of developing such a module that will provide credits to someone to gain entrance into third level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

It depends on the angle that you're taking, I'd guess. I know that there are classes in things like personal finance, how to do your own taxes etc, that aren't accredited, but that don't necessarily need to be because people are taking them out of interest or to use for their personal benefit rather than to gain a specific qualification. Things like exercise classes et al, or conversational language classes, follow a similar idea - they're not going to get students a qualification, but the teacher is qualified to teach the course (in that it is their area of expertise, whether via professional/educational qualifications or professional experience) and they teach the students something or allow them to spend the class doing something of interest to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rcamp

I have recently started setting up adult classes in various centres in Ireland. I rent the room out in a center and advertise for students. I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice about doing this for example whats the best way to arrange bookings of students . One of the problems I have is that I need to book the room in advance but the students dont pay in advance so I have no way of knowing if enough people are going to turn up on the first day of the course for me to be able to form a class and how can I tell those who came that the class is cancelled. Would appreciate your advice on this.

Advertisement