Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using another Netgear instead of Eircom Netopias wireless function.

Options
  • 08-01-2010 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi, I've been trying to set up as Netgear router as a wireless access point. I have it connected by cable into my Netopia router.
    On the Netopia I set it to bridge mode.
    While on the Netgear I put in eircoms connection settings and turned off DCHP but I cannot get the Netgear to connect to the internet.

Am I doing something blaringly wrong? :D

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you put the netopia into bridge mode then you have no routing function in your set up I think!

You should be able to use the netgear as a wireless point by leaving the netopia as it originally was and turning off the dhcp on the netgear. You dont need to enter the eircom settings in the netgear if you do this by the way.

If you are using other pcs to connect by cable then they should stay with the netopia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

Cool, I'll give that a try once I get a chance later and report back how it goes.
    Thank you.

Couldn't get this to work, getting no internet through the Netgear?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You have to tell us more - what settings are you now using and what model is the Netgear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

All settings on the netopia should be as they were except the wireless setting.
    You may have to enter all the Eircom info into the Netgear.
    I use a D-Link in the same way and have this info entered.
    PPPoE, user name, password etc.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the help so far everyone, haven't had a chance to try the new suggestions but will update this thread by the weekend with any more details or the outcome of your suggestions so far.

Thanks.

Tried this tonight and had no luck with it. Will try again though as I was in a rush tonight. I'll get this sorted eventually :D Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Are you using the WAN or LAN connection on the Netgear?
    Should be LAN.

Advertisement