Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital keeps secret DNA File

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

do.ob wrote: »

As a bleeding-heart pinko liberal you just can't understand how important this sentiment is to people like me.

So anyone that wants to stand up for their own rights is a pinko liberal then? wtf are you on?!

And what do you mean by "people like me"..? What are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

If you read the part you bolded yourself you'd see it said 'born in the country since 1984'.
    I'm not getting what you mean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 do.ob

So anyone that wants to stand up for their own rights is a pinko liberal then? wtf are you on?!

It depends. Are you also standing up for the rights of scumbags?
    And what do you mean by "people like me"..? What are you?

I am one of the common people of ireland. The people who base their political philosophy solely on their hatred of the scum (a middle class tree-hugger like yourself couldn't understand because you don't have to deal with the scum on a day to day basis). People who want to bring back the death penalty, torture, sterilisation and castration as appropriate punishments. People who want prisoners to suffer dire conditions and rejoice at the thought of prisoners being physically,psychologically and sexually abused by fellow inmates and gaurds.
    People who's view on privacy is "if you've done nothing wrong then you've nothing to hide" and who's view on liberty is that if you want to do something the majority of people don't want to do then you can **** off to another country untill you learn to live like us.

Most importantly we realise that scumbags are an inferior subhuman species and that rights do little more than protect them from the suffering they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It depends. Are you also standing up for the rights of scumbags?

I am one of the common people of ireland. The people who base their political philosophy solely on their hatred of the scum (a middle class tree-hugger like yourself couldn't understand because you don't have to deal with the scum on a day to day basis). People who want to bring back the death penalty, torture, sterilisation and castration as appropriate punishments. People who want prisoners to suffer dire conditions and rejoice at the thought of prisoners being physically,psychologically and sexually abused by fellow inmates and gaurds.

I guess most importantly we're people who are prepared to look past the fact that we all have a completley different definition of "scum" because we are united be the fact that we see those who fall under our category of "scum" as inferior subhuman beings undeserving of rights and want nothing more than to make them suffer.

So basically you want to perpetuate scummery in order to tackle the problem?

I'm not middle class btw, not by a long shot. And I do have to deal with unscrupulous people on a regular basis. I live in Dundalk, it's far from a crime-less utopia!

Also what's your definition of a scumbag? Someone that breaks the law, or just someone that doesn't fit into your own views on what society should be?

Or maybe you're just trolling

So basically you want to perpetuate scummery in order to tackle the problem?

It's not scummery if the person at the recieving end is a scumbag, It's justice. See, scumbags aren't really people so they don't really deserve to be treated like people. It's this pinko liberal bull**** of treating them like people that has us in this mess.

Like batman said; "Criminals thrive on the indulgence of society's understanding".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

humanji wrote: »
    I'm not getting what you mean.

You said the numbers mentioned couldn't represent everyone born in the country, but the article never claimed they did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

People who's view on privacy is "if you've done nothing wrong then you've nothing to hide" and who's view on liberty is that if you want to do something the majority of people don't want to do then you can **** off to another country untill you learn to live like us.

Most importantly we realise that scumbags are an inferior subhuman species and that rights do little more than protect them from the suffering they deserve.

i don't think you're one of the common people of ireland tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Stupid sensationalist media, it isn't a DNA database, its a blood test database, the dna information hasn't been extracted from it. Its quite useless in its current form apart from for research. You can't wander down and request a dna comparison test in the hospital.

Personally I cannot see anything wrong with it, its typical busybodys making a fuss over nothing as usual
    The sound of reason. Some dried up drops of blood do not a DNA database make. It's quite tricky just to find out the presence of a certain sequence of DNA, let alone their genome...

I do think it was illegal, based on my limited understanding of the '88 DP act. But when I want to find out if something is right or wrong, I consider more than just the statute book:rolleyes: I think it was harmless and it is indeed a storm in a teacup. It will be resolved in due course and I don't think a tribunal will be needed for this.

i don't think you're one of the common people of ireland tbh.

Of course I am. Stroll into any thread on crime and punishment or civil liberties and you will see my kind. As someone who wants to give the government the power of a DNA database I would have thought you'd agree with me. Maybe you just have yet to embrace the power of the word "scum", you should try it out. You'd be surprised at how readily people will agree with the most radical right-wing of ideas simply because of one word.

@my_name_is_url.

It doesn't really matter who is labelled as "scum", it's more about the collective idea of there being "scum" out there who deserve to be treated worse than dogs. It's something to unite the nation and give us a sense of community, our collective desire to purge society of the scum.

For example a guy I know now sells cannabis, ecstacy and cocaine to a relatively small number of people. To some people he is scum, to others he is a sound guy who takes the risks so they can have fun at the weekend.
    Personally, I guess I would feel bad if he got arrested, but I'll still rejoice any time I hear of other dealers being locked up.

Either way, as i said it doesn't matter. The suffering him and those close to him would suffer is nothing compared to the overall satisfaction people like me feel when they read of another scumbag being shown who's boss (particularly if it's in a violent fashion).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

do.ob is either doing a pretty good lampooning of the "street justice" crazies that infest these threads OR he's bat**** loco.

I hope it's the former, tbh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement