Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I want to replace windows....

• 08-01-2010 9:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

...but not sure what to replace it with.

I'm sick of windows, and I seem to have a virus that won't go away despite wiping the hard drive and re-installing XP.

Is there any way to run Mac OSX on the computer, or is the chip set up to only allow windows products? I wouldn't mind trying Linux or Unix, as they seem to be visually easier to work with than ever before. My only issue really is that we have Photoshop (legit version) which I think will only run on XP, and I don't want to have to fork out for a different version of it.

All other software I want to use should be fine on Linux (I'm using OpenOffice and Mozilla on the XP anway, prefer them to the MS products).

Are there any issues with say printer drivers and the like? Are Linux versions available so that I can still use my peripherals?

Is there any consensus on what the best replacement for XP is? Based on the fact that I'm not interested in programming, it's the most end-user-friendly OS that I'm after.

Thanks.
    user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

...but not sure what to replace it with.

I'm sick of windows, and I seem to have a virus that won't go away despite wiping the hard drive and re-installing XP.

I don't know of any virus that can survive after reinstalling an operating system, You could try a Linx distro, but not for the faint-hearted unless your technically minded. Have you thought about upgrading to Windows 7 your Photoshop will work on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭waynesurvey

Will W7 run okay on my machine, though? It's a few years old.....3Ghz P4 with 1G Ram

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    I don't know of any virus that can survive after reinstalling an operating system, You could try a Linx distro, but not for the faint-hearted unless your technically minded. Have you thought about upgrading to Windows 7 your Photoshop will work on it.
    partition table viruses can survive reformatting the drive

unless you clean off an infection when you reinstall you will probably re-inherit the virus in the same way you reinherit all your program settings, without a proper AV on a system you can easily get hit by a drive by download ( if using firefox get ad block and no script )

Ubuntu is fairly easy to use and LOTS of help on line.

you can use wubi installer to have it and windows on the machine at the same time.

as per other forum check WINE for photoshop support,
    you can run the gimp but GUI takes a bit of getting used to - gimpshop is worth a look to make the menus a bit more photoshopish

MAC OSX is actually BSD not linux , if you want something closer

you aren't allowed to put OSX on a pc to create a hackintosh , not in the terms of the license , don't ask -- That's the answer on all of the Operating systems forums

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

EKRIUQ wrote: »
    You could try a Linx distro, but not for the faint-hearted unless your technically minded.

If you don't mind me asking, have you actually tried a Linux distro aimed at the new user recently? Just because Windows is "familiar" does
    not make it "easy". Try asking someone to modify the binary mess that is the registry in Windows. You would be met with strange stares.

Fedora seems to be pretty easy to setup and use these days. Linux tends to be actually easier to use on a day to day basis than Windows.
    So Adobe don't give a sh4t about Linux? use GIMP. @OP - good luck with the move, I suspect you will be quite happy unless you are a
    gamer or need specific software not on Linux. You can run Windows programs in Linux with WINE

The lack of virii and "phoning home" is worth it. YOU control your pc, not the other way around.
    OpenOffice is a viable solution to office, but you can still run office in WINE if you need to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

MAC OSX is actually BSD not linux , if you want something closer

you aren't allowed to put OSX on a pc to create a hackintosh , not in the terms of the license , don't ask -- That's the answer on all of the Operating systems forums

The kernel is Mach based, but Apple "borrowed" alot of userland libraries and apps from the *BSD's.
    XNU is pretty damn advanced, it's just a shame that Apple are so restrictive.

Advertisement