Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

attic tank empty

• 08-01-2010 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

got home this evening no water in taps,toilet cistern empty,checked tank in attic its empty,what can i do also ,can i still use gas central heating,cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I have to ask the obvious: Is the ballcock in place/stuck in the tank? Any obvious blockage to pipe? Is there water in the mains?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Happened to us today. See my request for a sticky in Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mower

ballcock ok,no obvious blockage,her dad said water coming as far as house.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Turn your central heating up full, and open your attic door.

If you've still got mains water, then maybe you've got a frozen pipe in the house.

are you sure its ok to turn on the gas central heating?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

mower wrote: »
    are you sure its ok to turn on the gas central heating?

The only sure way to tell would be to get a plumber/some with knowledge out to check out your setup; generally speaking, it'll be separate...

ok thanks,cold water tap in kitchen working,smaller tank in attic full,have attic door open,,lamp on in attic,hopefully just frozen pipe,council installed new rads,gas boiler and tank 2 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I fixed a situation exactly like yours today , luckily i bought a heat gun recently which is incredibly usefull in these situations .
    The ballcock was frozen in position but freeing the arm didnt sort it, the ballcock was literally frozen inside it and a few inches of pipe outside it , the pipe was insulated :D strange times we are living in .
    I reccomend you go up there with a hairdryer and give the ballcock a good heat and the pipe connected to ballcock , but be warned i was 10 mins with a professional heatgun and with the pipework insulated , if your pipework is uninsulated you could be longer but it should free it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Keep an eye over frozen mains pipe in attic, frost plugs expand the more they freeze, expanding creates pressure, enough pressure to disconnect fittings. Have someone go over any visible fittings with spanner and grips, you don't want any leaks on mains in attic.

Advertisement