Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will i leave the cold water tap in kitchen run during night?

• 08-01-2010 9:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭

pressure is very low in cold tap in kitchen + shower(electric) - possible freezing...all else ok with toilet + hot water tap....will I let it run - it wont damage anything?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are you sure it's not an issue in the area?
    Water in the reservoirs is affected by the cold as well - so if everyone runs a tap overnight, everyone feeding from the reservoir is screwed.
    Try identifying the freezing section and protect/heat it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 226 ✭✭iguana2005

Karoma wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not an issue in the area?
    Water in the reservoirs is affected by the cold as well - so if everyone runs a tap overnight, everyone feeding from the reservoir is screwed.
    Try identifying the freezing section and protect/heat it?

will have a look tomorrow..dont even know where to start! Am such a girl...sure twilll be fine..am in te country so not sure if neighbours are affected too

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Please don't leave your tap running, the pressure is low because that's what people are doing.

The advice I was given was to leave the attic light bulb on, sounds mad but apparently it puts out enough heat to stop freezing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

There was someone on the news tonight strongly advising people not to do this. You could end up with no water apparently.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,321 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

All day local councils have been urging people not to do this. Water reserves are extremely low, with burst pipes adding to the problem. People irresponsibly wasting water in this way is only adding to it.

• Advertisement

cool - tis not running now anyhow. fingers crossedQ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Carpenter09

dont leave the tap running all night.the reason the pressure is low is probably cos the council have the pressure turned down to save the water!!the local councils are trying to save water cos there is a huge water shortage since the cold snap started!if your taps havent frozen already there not going too!!

Zaph wrote: »
    All day local councils have been urging people not to do this. Water reserves are extremely low, with burst pipes adding to the problem. People irresponsibly wasting water in this way is only adding to it.

wasnt being irresponsible - i didnt know. chill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Zaph wrote: »

Run your tap like **** aren't we the wettest country in the world

and if the council run out then it's their problem mu ha ha ha

Never heard of a water shortage in Spain even in +40 heat waves

• Advertisement

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Please don't leave your tap running, the pressure is low because that's what people are doing.

The advice I was given was to leave the attic light bulb on, sounds mad but apparently it puts out enough heat to stop freezing.

The tank in the attic is fed from the mains!! If the main pipe into the house

freezes the tank will be empty hence the idea of leaving a tap running that's

on the main supply so the main feed won't freeze and your tank will be full

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

bryaner wrote: »

we use twice (if not more) as much water per person as spain. thats why.
    http://www.greenhome.ie/level1.php?id=water

You really should consider thinking about what you say before posting;)

who told you we where the wettest country in europe? I dont think we are.

Water reserve is short at the moment .. End of story.

dont run your taps over night.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The tank in the attic is fed from the mains!! If the main pipe into the house

freezes the tank will be empty hence the idea of leaving a tap running that's

on the main supply so the main feed won't freeze and your tank will be full

Well duh!

It's also affecting the reservoir levels, which is causing low water pressure which is the problem the OP is having.

Lmfao fool i live in spain 6 months of the year i pay .0002 cent

per 1000 liters of water, a aqueduct runs at the back of my house

24/7/365 in a desert do the math!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Should you not will you.

/Pedant.

Well duh!

It's also affecting the reservoir levels, which is causing low water pressure which is the problem the OP is having.

The old statement you can't educate pork lol

The old statement you can't educate pork lol

You just keep your light bulb on well done

Well duh!

OP another JOKE your good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Sshh I won't tell them if you don't

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/912127.stm
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/arid-barcelona-forced-to-import-water-807810.html

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Pappacharlie

Treated drinking water is a precious finite resource. Normally reservoirs replenish themselves overnight. If everyone leaves a tap running overnight then the reservoirs will not fill overnight and consequently tomorrow the water pressure will be reduced and people in elevated locations will be without water. This could then compromise their heating systems. No water. No HEAT!! Not good in the present situation. Leave your attic trap-door or STIRA open and your pipework wont freeze. Turn on a light in the attic but for God's sake don't waste water by leaving your tap running!!

• Advertisement

Ok to fix that not in my time there, to get what I'm saying if you can manage

it is if we ever get 2 months of sun here again theres a water shortage

and next we get 2 weeks of sub zero and we have a water shortage and

it pisses on us for 9 months of the year opposed to Spain with 9 months of

sun and without any freaks of nature water is readily available 24/7/365

Treated drinking water is a precious finite resource. Normally reservoirs replenish themselves overnight. If everyone leaves a tap running overnight then the reservoirs will not fill overnight and consequently tomorrow the water pressure will be reduced and people in elevated locations will be without water. This could then compromise their heating systems. No water. No HEAT!! Not good in the present situation. Leave your attic trap-door or STIRA open and your pipework wont freeze. Turn on a light in the attic but for God's sake don't waste water by leaving your tap running!!

Not worth a bollox im leaving my main supply running so it will not freeze at

the road as it did already,im supplying 4 houses with water 2 are elders whose

mains have already froze at the road will i turn off my tap??

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭RizzoJR

this is for COLD TAP in kichen sink
    dont leave it run, but try leave it just dripping.
    any moving water in your pipes will help prevent freezing.

if you have containers, bottles, etc
    fill as many as possible now!
    cause you may still freeze

let the tap drip INTO a big container
    and then use this water in morning for toilets, washing, etc
    to "pay back" what you are supposedly wasting over night.

Leaving it dripping may seem like a waste, but if you lose water
    completely, esp in isolated country house,
    you'd have to use a lot more energy (and time) bringing in water from elsewhere.

Dont let council FOOL you, its their job to provide more water

I'm especially annoyed when they try pass the buck to the public.

Dont run taps,
    but let them drip
    into a container

bryner - your cracking me up...:)

in cork...realising now water pressure is actually low as folks taps are the same in the city..you would think following the worst floods a few weeks back that the council would advise that they are lowering pressure? on top of chronic roads threatening cork city businesses this weekend now face no water again - just checked cork city council website and nothing on water supply

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

Its very good for the council to blame people for wasting water etc but I have been now a week without running water because I didn't leave a tap running. My neighbors who have left taps running are enjoying hot showers and the ability to wash their clothes and dishes and to take a dump without having to worry if it will flush.

I've had no help at all from the council just a "We can't do anything approach" and "it was probably the builder who put the pipes too high in the ground". That's great. When is the thaw supposed to be happening?

It's terrible not having running water and some of you who are preaching about saving it obviously haven't had the inconvenience of living without it for any extended period of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

All this water that's left on overnight is treated water. That's not free, it costs the taxpayer valuable money to store it, to filter it, to treat it and to distribute it. It's also useful for extinguishing fires, and if there's none left for that, sure we'll all be up in arms.

I can understand everyone's fear about their supply freezing, but sometimes it's just the stopcock that's frozen. It's very wasteful of a valuable (and perversely scarce at this time of year) resource to leave a tap on all the time...

Most people have been without water at some stage, though in fairness maybe not for a whole week, I know I certainly have. Though I definitely have sympathy for families with children, and other households without water, I would urge that people don't leave taps running.

Rizzo at least suggested saving the water that you might leave on and using it during the following day - that's less wasteful certainly, if you do save it and re-use it.

Other suggestions get a vote from me aswell - get up into your attic and make sure that your pipes are insulated, and try to leave the hatch open to let some heat in there too - though that's wasteful of heat (you get caught everyway, don't you?).

Xcellor wrote: »
    Its very good for the council to blame people for wasting water etc but I have been now a week without running water because I didn't leave a tap running. My neighbors who have left taps running are enjoying hot showers and the ability to wash their clothes and dishes and to take a dump without having to worry if it will flush.

I've had no help at all from the council just a "We can't do anything approach" and "it was probably the builder who put the pipes too high in the ground". That's great. When is the thaw supposed to be happening?

It's terrible not having running water and some of you who are preaching about saving it obviously haven't had the inconvenience of living without it for any extended period of time.

Hope you have good neighbours and if so un freeze both your outside taps

open yours and connect your good neighbours supply to it, it will feed back

up and fill your coffin tank in the attic and your copper cylinder should only

have to do it every 2 days

Lmfao fool i live in spain 6 months of the year i pay .0002 cent

per 1000 liters of water, a aqueduct runs at the back of my house

24/7/365 in a desert do the math!!!

fool? did you not review the links??

You lived in spain and ireland. But you still dont know the situation in either country.

just some bogger dribble . Back to the bog with you.;):p

gsxr1 wrote: »
    fool? did you not review the links??

You lived in spain and ireland. But you still dont know the situation in either country.

just some bogger dribble . Back to the bog with you.;):p

Learn to read numpty

• Advertisement

Learn to read numpty

I did. ? it proves my previous point even more:rolleyes:

You are advising people to contribute to a water shortage problem by running there taps.
    really . in all fairness. have you no common sense?
    :(

Advertisement