Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frost protected

• 08-01-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

After witnessing many frost related posts here along with frost problems in my area, I decided to protect my own plumbing system. I had day of no water, frozen storage water pipes and a near miss. I have a isolation valve flexi to connect mains to ballcock, keeps sound down along with water hammer. The factory crimped end of flexi came off the isolation valve completely, goes to show how much pressure an expanding frost plug can put on a fitting. Lucky I had turned off mains the night before, attic would have flooded.

I have a combi tank / cylinder fitted in attic, free's up hot press and takes up less space in attic over water tanks. ST neg head booster pump, all plumbing passes through it, pump only comes on by switch if needed, shower etc. All pipe's insulated with standard pipe insulation then wrapped with fiberglass. Last picture is last job on list, going to fit a small frost prevention heater, only powered during cold months, only comes on if temp drops below 0, will fit smoke alarm close by just incase.

The combi base is oversized to spread load and built in a way to reduce sound, water noise, pump vibration.

Wrap up your pipes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Timber frame house items. I would be shocked if you got any trouble but it goes to show. You never know.

Nice set up. Good idea. makes a good idea for attic conversion. The hot press could be used for a staircase. Only adds about 2-3 grand to the job but makes all the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Sure is, well spotted with hp and staircase, thats the plan eventually. Attics are waste of space if not used. I went all out with preventing frost, doesn't take much but saves a lot of the hassle that comes with frost, though about building a box to insulate around ST but not best idea, plenty of moving parts, will need some ventilation so going the frost heater route instead.

Advertisement