Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 dead birds and one cat

Options
  • 08-01-2010 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭

There are 5 dead birds in my garage. They are all of the same species as far as I can see. Below is an image of one of the dead birds.

I have been feeding my cat every day. Although I noticed yesterday that her food bowl was near full and the food was frozen (she is fed in the shed as she is an out door cat). So when I fed her yesterday I asumed she would eat all her food as she appeared hungry thus eliminating the need to feed her in doors. However today there was still a half a bowl of frozen food there and 5 dead birds.

What is interesting is that they are all of the same speicies. They must have been easy prey for her. 5 birds seems an awlfull lot.

Any thoughts?

edit: p.s. I will be feeding my cat in doors from now on so as her food does not freeze. I wouldn't want her to go hungry or to contribute to the depopulation of our wild birds. I don't really have a problem with my cat killing the odd bird. It is nature after all. But she did not eat any of these and 5 in such a short space of time is way to many.

Could someone identify the species please.

EDIT: Thread on Redwings: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=63883894#post63883894

*warning dead bird*

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

strange because I actually found 3 dead & frozen birds outside my house last night. They were rock solid, just lying there.

Cold, too cold for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I don't know how correct this is but a bird lover who lives near me said that cats are having a field day as birds are weak at the moment due to a lack of food.

It makes a bit of sense I think as my cat has killed two birds today.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

my cat has killed one also, looks similar to the one in the picture ..

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Looks like a Redwing. A relation of the Thrush which comes in from Scandinavia for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

leincar wrote: »
    I don't know how correct this is but a bird lover who lives near me said that cats are having a field day as birds are weak at the moment due to a lack of food.

It makes a bit of sense I think as my cat has killed two birds today.

Yes I think you could be right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have not caught or seen my two do this today, but they know better than to let me see them... they birdwatch from the window.

Dozens of birds flock in to feed; and that may be a large part of this; more on the ground etc. Easier prey thus because of the sheer numbers.

I am feeding birds all day long now..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any tips on what best to feed the birds now? I usually throw out a bit of porridge but is there anything else I could throw as they haven't eaten it in the past 2 days.

Something I'm likely to have anyway please :) , wont be getting out to the shops to buy seeds for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

Any tips on what best to feed the birds now? I usually throw out a bit of porridge but is there anything else I could throw as they haven't eaten it in the past 2 days.

Something I'm likely to have anyway please :) , wont be getting out to the shops to buy seeds for a few days.

I won't know really but I would check out on the porrige. Porrige may expand in the bird causing problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

My cat (whos only 6 months old) caught 2 blackbirds today (her first two!), my mums 1 year old collie caught a redwing today (:eek:) and their 2 cats have caught a few redwings between them ove the last few days also.
    They're resorting to dangerous methods of feeding I think out of desperation, maybe their weakened from lack of food and cold and just aren't as sharp as usual?
    Anyone keeping a cat outside in this must make sure their bed is very warm, draught free, dry and damp free esp if it's in a shed where their food is freezing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I soak it first in hot water until it has expanded. I hope thats ok? I wouldn't want to harm them.

Would cooked rice/pasta be any good? what about fats/sugars for energy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

The freezing fog is catching the birds out - I have lost a few birds here both wild & my own birds in avairies - they wake up see the sun & come out of the nests & sit there happily - fog settles & they freeze :( Not good!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Dmighty

My cat caught a little robin in my back garden a few days ago. i looked outside my window and saw her with it in her mouth, it was chirping still so i knew it was still alive, i went out and told her to drop it, and eventually she did but she was not happy about it at all. the robin flew away.:D She never has the best of luck with catching birds, i think the weather is making them weak. :(

Dmighty wrote: »
    My cat caught a little robin in my back garden a few days ago. i looked outside my window and saw her with it in her mouth, it was chirping still so i knew it was still alive, i went out and told her to drop it, and eventually she did but she was not happy about it at all. the robin flew away.:D She never has the best of luck with catching birds, i think the weather is making them weak. :(

Are you sure it's a cat you have! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I haven't put any food out for the birds for just such a reason, it would be like ordering in Take Away for my cat, I have brought it down to the local ponds instead though I just hope they can still get water.
    OP those are Redwings who ironically migrate here to escape their harsh winters in Scandinavia, Poland and Russia, they are probably exhausted by the time they get here and are then met with this crazy weather we're having at the moment, it just spell disaster for them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭susanroth

malman wrote: »
    There are 5 dead birds in my garage. They are all of the same species as far as I can see. Below is an image of one of the dead birds.

We have a cat killing the exact same birds! Its so annoying, she is being fed and her food is not freezing. I put a bell o her hoping it would stop but unfortunately... It must be just the birds that are slowing down due to the weather. We also have a bird feed wreath on the roof of a shed for them which they seem to love!
    Was thinking of putting another bell on the cat maybe a louder one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Keeping cats in will help the birds. A well fed cat will still hunt.

If you have a bird feeder in a clearing than it will be safe for the birds as there should no where for the cat to hide and stage an ambush. Best to hand it on a squirrel proof pole.

Sources of drinking water are important for birds. I heard if you add some glycerine to the water it doesn't freeze as much. I have yet to try this for my self.

The trick is to hang a second bell lower down below the first so that it moves more when they walk. With only one bell they learn to move more stealthily and not make a sound theres nothing they can do with two.

lol yes, shunewkey is her name, unusual i know, she acts more like a dog then a cat and she knows when im angry from the sound of my voice, same when she trys to jump on the counters, lol.

lol yes, shunewkey is her name, unusual i know, she acts more like a dog then a cat and she knows when im angry from the sound of my voice, same when she trys to jump on the counters, lol.

Lol one of mine plays fetch! Where did we go wrong!?

• Advertisement

Lol one of mine plays fetch! Where did we go wrong!?

LOL... my cat is mad as a brush, she torments the hell out of this sweet little pomeranian around the corner from me, she plays dead then when the dog comes sniffing she jumps up running on three paws with one paw in the air trying to catch the pom... i have never seen such a unusual cat, she is not afraid of anything... she will follow me if im going anywhere hopping over walls, i have to chase her back home... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭piskins72

LOL... my cat is mad as a brush, she torments the hell out of this sweet little pomeranian around the corner from me, she plays dead then when the dog comes sniffing she jumps up running on three paws with one paw in the air trying to catch the pom... i have never seen such a unusual cat, she is not afraid of anything... she will follow me if im going anywhere hopping over walls, i have to chase her back home... lol

mine will come when you whistle like a dog does and he chases dogs as well :confused:

lol yes, the pom is terrified of him, ah well i love him all the same... :)

Advertisement