Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back boiler problem

Options
  • 08-01-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi

I currently have Oil Central Heating, and also an open fire with a back boiler attached. I normally run the OFCH first, and then turn it off and start up the fireplace and back boiler. When I do this, the back boilder usually makes a bit of a gurgling noise, but simmers down after a couple of mins. I was away for most of the last week, and had the heating on a timer, and that seems to be working fine.

But when I turned on my back bolier tonight, the pipes were gurgling and banging - and didn't settle down - they seemed to get worse. I had turned on the pump before the fire had heated up, so I don't think it was anything there.

My mains water is working fine, and I released a lot of my hot water which was in the tank - to no avail.

Has anyone got any bright ideas which I can try before calling in the plumber??

Many Thanks

L

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Banging and rattling sounds in back boiler come from water over heating, back boiler might not be full, trapped air inside or circulation pump could be acting up. Check header tank in attic, that is full with water and not frozen solid. Have a look at pump, make sure its circulating, if you set the speed in a way its half way between each speed, the pump turns off, then turn it on to speed setting, you'll notice a difference in sound when pumps not working / working, saves opening up impeller screw.

Advertisement