Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Advertiser Front Page

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

We're thinking of heading out on the frozen parts of the Corrib tomorrow for a look. However, we're prepped with the following:

Dry-suit
    Suitable 'wooly bear' under-garment
    PFD (Lifejacket)
    Rope to the shore
    A pony-bottle (small air bottle that'll last you about 10 mins, maybe 5 in the cold water)
    2 spikes so that if we fall through, we can get out of the ice without being pulled out by the rope (which we will then use if no joy with the spikes)

Should be fun :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Didn't the Advertiser publish a photograph of a car on the front page at some point? I heard no one grumbling about the many injuries and deaths that occur as a result of the use of cars and that irresponsible photos like this should not be on the front page.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Didn't the Advertiser publish a photograph of a car on the front page at some point? I heard no one grumbling about the many injuries and deaths that occur as a result of the use of cars and that irresponsible photos like this should not be on the front page.

If they published a front-page pic of someone driving a car while talking into a cellphone, I'd be the first to complain. Not because it's illegal, but because it's stupid and dangerous.

Like it or not, people ARE influenced by what they see in the media.

Someone above mentioned the old adage about "would you jump off a cliff just cos XXX did it?": Whilst I've used this line myself recently, unfortunately we know that people do copy-cat what they see others do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Well done. You have completely missed the point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

m83 wrote: »
    Well done. You have completely missed the point.

Thanks. I'm so proud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Thanks. I'm so proud.

Please stop trolling now, you're ruining my Sabbath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 galwayfeen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Drove past the Claddagh Basin today and there were a bunch of lads playing soccer on it.

Idiots.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

just wondering if those twats who can walk on water do so now that theres a thaw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It's not like nobody would have thought to go out on the ice until the galway advertiser showed pictures of other people doing it. All the advertiser are doing is reporting the news of people going out on the ice. I hate when the presumed idiocy of unknown people is used to censer or curtail freedoms.
    ErnieBert wrote: »
    Great idea. And no need for a funeral because your body will be washed out sea.
    That's a kind of funeral.
    mossfort wrote: »
    if you fall through one of the weak spots in the ice of which there are many you will be paralysed straight away from the cold water and stand no chance of survival.
    That's funny, I've been watching videos of people jumping into frozen lakes over the past few weeks and none of them became paralysed. It's not a great survival strategy for an animal to become paralysed when it's in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's not like nobody would have thought to go out on the ice until the galway advertiser showed pictures of other people doing it. All the advertiser are doing is reporting the news of people going out on the ice. I hate when the presumed idiocy of unknown people is used to censer or curtail freedoms.

That's a kind of funeral.

That's funny, I've been watching videos of people jumping into frozen lakes over the past few weeks and none of them became paralysed. It's not a great survival strategy for an animal to become paralysed when it's in danger.

it wouldnt be funny if you saw a video of someone fall through a weak spot in the ice with no way of getting back up.
    if you fall through when wearing heavy clothes and jacket when they get wet your body temperature will drop rapidly making it impossible to get the strength to even try to save yourself
    the fact of the matter is its a stupid thing to do to walkon a frozen lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

ScumLord wrote: »

Scum Lord, You've got my vote.

I recently started a thread on this subject.
    I clearly stated that I was asking only for informative replies regarding the above. I only gave a BRIEF summery of the research I had undertaken, and of the basic field safety precautions I would be taking. And in addition to this I didn't give any detailed information as to the specific conditions of the Lake. Nor did I give any details regarding my own physical status, or that of my experience in such pursuits.

I got the usual rants from Captain Bringdown and the Buzzkillers!

I respect ALL opinions, but why couldn't these people started their own new thread 'Reasons not to walk on a lake', rather than having a swipe at me especially when I clearly asked for only positive feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mossfort wrote: »
    it wouldnt be funny if you saw a video of someone fall through a weak spot in the ice with no way of getting back up.
    if you fall through when wearing heavy clothes and jacket when they get wet your body temperature will drop rapidly making it impossible to get the strength to even try to save yourself
    the fact of the matter is its a stupid thing to do to walkon a frozen lake.
    It's done all the time all over the world. Your completely exaggerating the facts. Hypothermia will not bring on immediate paralysis.

Now if someone is wearing heavy clothes and they get wet it will make them sink and make moving difficult, they could become trapped under the ice but that has nothing to do with the effects of the cold water. In cold countries people swim in ice cold water all the time, In Nordic countries they run from their saunas and jump into freezing waters.
    kevcos wrote: »
    I clearly stated that I was asking only for informative replies regarding the above. I only gave a BRIEF summery of the research I had undertaken, and of the basic field safety precautions I would be taking. And in addition to this I didn't give any detailed information as to the specific conditions of the Lake. Nor did I give any details regarding my own physical status, or that of my experience in such pursuits.

I got the usual rants from Captain Bringdown and the Buzzkillers!

I respect ALL opinions, but why couldn't these people started their own new thread 'Reasons not to walk on a lake', rather than having a swipe at me especially when I clearly asked for only positive feedback.
    Some people just want everybody else to be as miserable as they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

this is what is on iws site
    http://www.iws.ie/guides-page24431.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭lovelyhome

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

lovelyhome wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

As far as I know, they were all pulled out alive but died later in hospital from hyperthermia.

We went for a slide on the very shallow part of Loughrea Lake on Saturday. When I say shallow, I mean where it's only a couple of foot deep (possibly knee height). It was brilliant fun and it was nice to see the whole lake frozen over.

However, there were some complete muppets (in my opinion) who decided it would be a good idea to walk the whole way across the lake with their kids!! And, apparently, someone drove a car onto it on Friday night - the ice started cracking and they just managed to get the car off. Braindead!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

hoody wrote: »

Forgot to mention that a woman came on the ice with 2 toddlers with her. She let the toddlers wander off (right over to where the ice was broken for the swans) while she chatted oblivious to another woman. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭kevcos

KevR wrote: »

However, there were some complete muppets (in my opinion) who decided it would be a good idea to walk the whole way across the lake with their kids!! And, apparently, someone drove a car onto it on Friday night - the ice started cracking and they just managed to get the car off. Braindead!
    Forgot to mention that a woman came on the ice with 2 toddlers with her. She let the toddlers wander off (right over to where the ice was broken for the swans) while she chatted oblivious to another woman. :rolleyes:

Truth.
    Bringing your kid's for a walk across a frozen lake, driving a car on it and a poster mentioned seeing someone in a wheel chair being pushed across a lake!
    Proper Mental. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

This is scandalous, people can be so careless when a bit of ice appears

• Advertisement
Advertisement