Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Info On Starting!!

Options
  • 08-01-2010 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hey I'm New to This!!

I'm just trying to find out what I need to no before i get a gun(or if im able to get one):o

I'm going 16 in 3 days and i wondering am i able to get a gun licence my dad has 20 acres of fields around the house,

I'm thinking of getting a air rifle around 200 yoyos!
    I'm just going to shoot targets and maybe a few unfortuniate rabbits
    :D
    I would like someone to tell everything i need to have for the garda!!
    And phone numbers of gun shops around the midlands!!

Thanks iin advance!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Look at the 'Announcements' Section near the top of the page.
    In there, there's a great big supply of info about applying for a licence.
    Read it, then if it doesn't answer you questions, come back and ask again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Welcome aboard.

You need experience and a competency course done. Then permission letters from 2 land owners allowing you permission to shoot on their land. Then insurance, available from NARGC, Countryside Alliance, etc. Go down to your local Garda station and pick up an FCA1 (or download from http://garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA1%20(english).pdf ) Fill in all sections. Supply land permissions and all necessary extra paperwork, photo, etc. Drop it off and wait.

Thats the short, to the point explanation. There are a load of other factors and bits of information but i think this covers the basics. Take locum-motion's advice and read the announements at the top of the forum and then if there are still questions come back and ask specifics.

Best of luck.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DG_GILLY_DG

Thanks for the advice!!!
    So i am able to get a gun at 16??:cool:
    So do i have to go to the garda first and get the forms??
    Do i have a choice of what gun i can get as a first??:o
    On the garda website it says i have to be with a adult with a full gun licence whenever i go shooting??
    My mams friend has a full gun licence and i go shooting with him all the time would i be able to put his name down??
    Where is a good place to buy a allright air rifle??(in the midlands):confused:

So i am able to get a gun at 16??:cool:

Yes. Legal minimm age is 16.
    So do i have to go to the garda first and get the forms??

If you want or you can download it from the Garda wesite using the link i gave you. Its best to get the FCA1 form first. You can use the form itself as a checklist as to what you need to do/get to fill it in. Also there is a checklist on the last page or so.
    Do i have a choice of what gun i can get as a first??:o

Yes. There are no retrictions as to what a person can apply for. You must provide "Good Reason" as to why you want that particular type of firearm.
    On the garda website it says i have to be with a adult with a full gun licence whenever i go shooting??

This only applies to a person using a training certificate, as in registered to use someone else's firearm for the purpose of learning how to use a firearm. A training cert can only be got by a person of age 14-16. It does not apply to you once you turn 16.
    My mams friend has a full gun licence and i go shooting with him all the time would i be able to put his name down??

You can still aplly for a full license on someone elses firearm. You must provide their license details, that they own and store the gun in premises that meet the secure accomodations SI, and that you use it under their permission (and supervision perhaps).

Where is a good place to buy a allright air rifle??(in the midlands):confused:

I don't shoot air rifle but i've provided a list of dealers around the midlands. Ring them and ask do they have any in stock. Then travel to see them.

Sean Harding, Thurles,
    Jim Griffin, Rahan, Tullamore,
    James McBride, Ballykeeran, Athlone,
    Gerry Scully, Athlone town, Athlone,
    Griffin & Hawe, Athy, Kildare,
    Lakelands, Mullingar,
    John Conroy, Hopshall, Portlaois.

A full(ish) list of dealers can be got here - http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Gun_Dealers
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

ezridax wrote: »
    A training cert can only be got by a person of age 14-16. It does not apply to you once you turn 16.

Just to point out that the training certificate is not limited to 14-16 year-olds. It can be applied for by anyone over the age of 14.

• Advertisement

BornToKill wrote: »
    Just to point out that the training certificate is not limited to 14-16 year-olds. It can be applied for by anyone over the age of 14.

Thanks for the correction. I thought they were for 14-16 year olds only. Did not realise anyone could get one.

Thanks a million people!!
    Just a few more questions,
    a)Do i HAVE to get a gun safe for my first gun?
    b)Are break barrals good??
    c)Would i get a good air rifle for around €200??

a)Do i HAVE to get a gun safe for my first gun?

Yes. Any rifle must have a safe. The only time you don't need a safe is if you own a single shotgun. Disassembly and hiding component parts is deened enough. However a safe is standard equipement in my opinion. For your own piece of mind. Before you think of buying a rifle, factor in safe, cleaning gear, carry case and other shooting accessories. Its not as cheap and easy as just getting a license, gun and going shooting.
    b)Are break barrals good??
    c)Would i get a good air rifle for around €200??

I will leave these two up to the air rifle people. No idea of the price, good makes, bad makes, etc. The only air rifle i've seen in the last 2 months was with Sean in Stakelums in Thurles. Thought it was a .22lr first. Lovely looking thing and not too dear.

Are they any new laws in this jan about licences??
    A friend of mine has a full licence and its says something about havent to be 18:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

A friend of mine has a full licence and its says something about havent to be 18:(

The info you are getting is current and up to date, follow the advice you get here and you wont go wrong;)

• Advertisement

No. As foxshooter said the info you are getting is the most up to date.

A super or Chief Super can impose restrictions on a license (how, why, where, what you shoot) but nothing to do with the age. I'm open to correction on this but i think i have it right.

Advertisement