Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky TV vs Magnet Entertainment

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi all,

I want to change from UPC / Chorus / NTL and I'm wondering what your experiences of Sky TV Ireland vs Magnet Entertainment are, please?

I'm based on the outskirts of Drogheda - which doesn't have the best reception unfortunately.

Have you had any problems with either of these two digital television providers? If you had, what was the response from the company like? Did they resolve your problem quickly and effectively?

Thanks, Suzie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Dont touch Magnet with a bargepole. I have them and although I cant report too many issues I'd go with Sky in a heartbeat if I had the choice, but I dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 arik11

1 question:Whats the issue with Magnet TV?

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

SuzieD wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to change from UPC / Chorus / NTL and I'm wondering what your experiences of Sky TV Ireland vs Magnet Entertainment are, please?

I'm based on the outskirts of Drogheda - which doesn't have the best reception unfortunately.

Have you had any problems with either of these two digital television providers? If you had, what was the response from the company like? Did they resolve your problem quickly and effectively?

Thanks, Suzie.

We cannot offer TV services in Louth.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

Dont touch Magnet with a bargepole. I have them and although I cant report too many issues I'd go with Sky in a heartbeat if I had the choice, but I dont.

Is there something we can help you with or is it just that you prefer the Sky services?

Is there something we can help you with or is it just that you prefer the Sky services?

Hi Rory,

I am glad to retract my original comment.

I had some very unsavory experiences with Magnet in the past however I have seen and experienced a marked improvement in the service that is provided in the last year.

If offered Sky in the morning I would'nt jump ship.

Magnet TV isnt perfect (not as responsive as Sky) however the channel list is much more appealing i.e. no GOD channel in sight! Magnet internet is supreme, I'm on a 10mb package and I get 10mb's!!!!

Magnet has turned me from a begrudging customer to a pretty happy customer...keep it up :D

• Advertisement

arik11 wrote: »
    1 question:Whats the issue with Magnet TV?

It's an IPTV service meaning TV is delivered via high speed internet. Theres isnt a whole lot of difference. I would say the picture quality is not as good as a digital reception, there is also a slight delay in changing channels which can get quite annoying.

However theres a full tv guide and you can also set reminders for tv shows.

I have Magnet as it's the sole operator in my development, it used to be awful but they have got their act together in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

With Satellite you can have any number of TVs and have UK free channels when you cancel. You own the equipment Sky installs.

With Magnet there are no free channels and you may be limited to two set-boxes/TVs. Cancel Magnet and you have no TV.

Magnet is great for Broadband, but I would only get their TV service if a dish is forbidden. UPC is a 2nd chioce to Sky for pay TV (cable, any number of boxes/TVs and good broadband) and magent 3rd choice for pay TV.

But I have cancelled Sky 3 times. I'll not be bothering with PayTV as there is plenty of Free TV on Satellite. IMO the pay TV is only worth while if you are convinced you need Pay TV Sport. Buying selected DVDs is better value than Movie Channels

Advertisement