Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New lowest temp record

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 caz34

Mobhi1 wrote: »
    Just refreshed the pagege. It's definitely -2C!

My mistake, I got Johnstown and Johnstown Castle mixed up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    -7 in Oak Park at the moment in Carlow,

-16.2 in Tullow

and -14 in Baltinglass

-12 in Newbridge.

I wonder why those parts of the country are getting the very low cold spots !!!

Just as cold up here as Oak Park - it's -9C at Dublin Airport, I'm even recording -8.9C!

(probably the fog at Oak Park is keeping the temperature from dropping)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

What's the record?
    The lowest air temperature recorded was -19.1°C back in 1881. Take a look here (Met Éireann site).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Tullow would be at the very bottom of the Wicklow mountains (or some mountains anyway !!)

The Blackstairs! Tullow is about 240ft asl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wait, so what's the record low temperature? Listening to the RTE weather forecasts on the TV today they were all saying -12.4°C was "a record". The weather man seemed to be getting very excited about the possibility of it getting down to -13°C. What's the record?

• Advertisement

Wait, so what's the record low temperature? Listening to the RTE weather forecasts on the TV today they were all saying -12.4°C was "a record". The weather man seemed to be getting very excited about the possibility of it getting down to -13°C. What's the record?

Maybe he was talking about Dublin Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

jd wrote: »
    johnstown castle is -2

101610.JPG

Are you sure you weren't looking at DP?

I am looking at Johnstown in Co. Laois :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hilarious. I will fight you to the death on this.. I am right !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,163 ✭✭✭10-10-20

On the Irish Weather Network I'm seeing -16.3 @ midnight in Tullow but I note that Ashford has risen from a low of -3.9 @ 20:30 to +0.4 @ 23:00. That's a big swing in Ashford and it can only mean that the air across the country is going to rise...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

malman wrote: »
    In general terms is there a part of the night which is usually the coldest?

Generally its just before dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Marvinthefish

Yes. I was just looking a little closer at the Met Eireann website. I think he was talking about the lowest ever temperature at Casement aerodrome (for some reason ?) Here's the relevant link

• Advertisement

Record for Dublin? -12.4C was quoted as the record at Casement recorded in 1979 although I've heard that there ia an older set of records where -13 point something was recorded there pre 1960 or something.

muppet26 wrote: »
    minus 19.2 in sallygap atm, camping out here, frozen though cant feel anything!:eek:

Seriously??? :eek: :confused:

Seriously??? :eek: :confused:

Or are you just trying to wind us up?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

muppet26 wrote: »
    minus 19.2 in sallygap atm, camping out here, frozen though cant feel anything!:eek:

What in god's name are you doing camping on a night like this !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

Or are you just trying to wind us up?

think its a wind up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

He's using his portable igloo.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭f3qh5g0z6vc7ob

Would you risk driving from drogheda to blanch in this weather at half 7 in morning!!!!

When there is talk of not gritting roads?

A romantic weekend??

:)

Would you risk driving from drogheda to blanch in this weather at half 7 in morning!!!!

When there is talk of not gritting roads?

If its not necessary dont risk it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Judging that the -16.4 in Carlow is 8c lower than this time last night and that that difference is decreasing by around 1c and hour it will be touch and go if we hit -18 tonight. Hope we get a new record but I think it will be touch and go by dawn.

• Advertisement

Its been at exactly -16.4 for the last hour. Seems a little odd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I am looking at Johnstown in Co. Laois :D

Hilarious. I will fight you to the death on this.. I am right !!!!!!!!

LOL!!! :D Johnstown most certainly is not in Co. Laois. I host their weather data on my site. Johnstown is in Co. Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Most places around the area have stayed the same for the past hour. It just means that it hasnt got colder. In fact its now up to -16.3C here. Woo hoo I can actually feel it getting warmer. I would like to see a record set here but i would also like my pipes to thaw out! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Its been at exactly -16.4 for the last hour. Seems a little odd

Overhead layer of fog there is keeping a lid on what little heat is left. The temperature in Tullow should drop in an hour or so when it clears.

Got a -9.1C now!!

EDIT: -9.2C!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Bobby1984

Going in reverse now, gone back to -15.3. Doesnt look like there will be any records broken

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    Judging that the -16.4 in Carlow is 8c lower than this time last night and that that difference is decreasing by around 1c and hour it will be touch and go if we hit -18 tonight. Hope we get a new record but I think it will be touch and go by dawn.
    irish , what do u think we are getting in donegal?
    I started the car there, left it idle for 10 mins and it was -6 , bit dissapointing , i think i need to take it out for a spin to get a more accuarate reading, but feck that :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The same as the lads who play on the ice... they call it fun.

Several of the lads drowned.

One young man froze to death in those mountains in his 4wd.

They call it a challenge and great fun... Not so funny for those who find them.

Got a -9.1C now!!

EDIT: -9.2C!

Didn't quite make -10, min was -9.6C! :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement