Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

newbie wireless questions

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭

Hi, i have never had wireless in my house but since i got a laptop im considering setting it up. So i have btireland broadband that i have plugged into laptop with an ethernet cable. How difficult iis it to set up wireless and what cost i looking at? do i need software to secure a wireless connection? do i need a new wireless modem?? which one would be good value? can i plug wireless device into current broadband modem rather than buying entirely new device?
    Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Hi, i have never had wireless in my house but since i got a laptop im considering setting it up. So i have btireland broadband that i have plugged into laptop with an ethernet cable. How difficult iis it to set up wireless and what cost i looking at?

Its not very difficult at all. It is possible that you already have a wireless router/modem. HOw long have you been with BT if you are a relatively recent recent customer your router/modem may have wireless - is there an aerial on it by any chance?

do i need software to secure a wireless connection?

You do not to secure the connection but to actually make it - but if your laptop is new then it will already have the software on it to match the built in wireless card. Then the ordinary security stuff such anti virus and firewall stuff etc should be used as per any internet connection

do i need a new wireless modem?? which one would be good value?

That will depend on whether your current modem already has built in wireless.

A new one should not cost much more than €60 depending on how good a one you want to get.

can i plug wireless device into current broadband modem rather than buying entirely new device?
    Cheers

Yes in that case you would purchase a wireless router (ie one without an integrated modem for dsl ) they are sometimes referred to as cable routers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

dub45 wrote: »
    Its not very difficult at all. It is possible that you already have a wireless router/modem. HOw long have you been with BT if you are a relatively recent recent customer your router/modem may have wireless - is there an aerial on it by any chance?

You do not to secure the connection but to actually make it - but if your laptop is new then it will already have the software on it to match the built in wireless card. Then the ordinary security stuff such anti virus and firewall stuff etc should be used as per any internet connection

That will depend on whether your current modem already has built in wireless.

A new one should not cost much more than €60 depending on how good a one you want to get.

Yes in that case you would purchase a wireless router (ie one without an integrated modem for dsl ) they are sometimes referred to as cable routers.
    No aerial on modem, laptop is brand new and high spec toshiba one. I am with BT Ireland for years, if i ask them will they give me a wireless modem? or if i threaten to keave and go to upc will that help?

Advertisement