Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to feed wild birds/help wild birds MERGE

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Ive run out of the usual fat ball things -They ate a string in two days:eek:
    I cant go anywhere to get them food and they are obviously reliant on it now

I plan on making them homemade food balls or whatever they are called but what can I use?? I have one package of lard , half a bread bag of homemade breadcrumbs a few crusts some biscuits etc
    Can they eat dry dog/cat food if I add them in with the rest - Im also feeding stray cats at the moment.
    I have no nuts or seeds and cant see myself getting anywhere to get them for the next few days

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

Melt the lard and mix in some oatmeal and sultanas and some of the breadcrumbs.

Cooked rice or other grains scattered on the ground seem to get eaten pretty quickly, too.

Cut up some apples and pears into chunks and put them on a bird table, you'll find the blackbirds love them. So should the redwings.

At the moment my "bird table" is an old plastic kitchen bin with a paving slab on top, anything suffices as long as it's raised off the ground.

Do put out a shallow container of water, something like a 10 or 12 inch plant-pot saucer of water for them, and keep breaking the ice, they need to be able to access water regularly.

I'd soak the dry cat food thoroughly before I'd even attempt to offer it and I'm not sure with the current freezing temps if it would be suitable.
    Hold off with that until someone more knowledgeable comes along to advise!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

There's a thread HERE on feeding birds.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I know this is probably preaching to the converted but I thought I'd put it out there anyway just in case. Everyone needs to leave fresh water and food out for the wild birds until the ground thaws out a bit. Any old bread with some oil thrown on it (in smaller bits so some of the small birds have a chance to get at it), seeds, old muesli or granola, cereals, oats, raisins, dried fruit almost anything will do.
    Our cat has killed 2 blackbirds today (her first 2 birds she ever caught and she's getting a whooping big bell from the pet shop tomorrow), my parents sheep dog took down a redwing today and their cat has also caught 3 birds in the last 2 days (despite having a bit brass bell my mum brought back from morocca hanging off her neck!) and there are dead birds scattered along the roadsides from being hit by cars. Ther're obviously not coping with the cold snap at this stage and it's making the have to resort to dangerous methods to feed (like feeding from the soil along the roadside) so we all need to look out for them, they go unoticed so easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

I was amazed driving on a backroad yesterday how slow the birds were to get out of the way off the road, and i was going about 30 k an hour. I normally never see them on the small country roads.
    But its like cold fingers eh they dont work very well, I was surprised that the local pet shop was out of bird seed but yeah in my back garden the summer garden furniture table is up the garden and is a bird feeding table, I found they were quiet shy when it was too close to the house.
    I moved the bird house with those hanging seed/ nut dispensers up the garden too, some of these birds have never relied on this before so wont come anywhere near the house.
    The water freezes so quickly, Im going to put plates out with hot water tomorrow.
    Its also great fun to watch them feeding if you have nothing better to do ( :

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I know this is probably preaching to the converted but I thought I'd put it out there anyway just in case. Everyone needs to leave fresh water and food out for the wild birds until the ground thaws out a bit. Any old bread with some oil thrown on it (in smaller bits so some of the small birds have a chance to get at it), seeds, old muesli or granola, cereals, oats, raisins, dried fruit almost anything will do.
    Our cat has killed 2 blackbirds today (her first 2 birds she ever caught and she's getting a whooping big bell from the pet shop tomorrow), my parents sheep dog took down a redwing today and their cat has also caught 3 birds in the last 2 days (despite having a bit brass bell my mum brought back from morocca hanging off her neck!) and there are dead birds scattered along the roadsides from being hit by cars. Ther're obviously not coping with the cold snap at this stage and it's making the have to resort to dangerous methods to feed (like feeding from the soil along the roadside) so we all need to look out for them, they go unoticed so easily.

Great post,,,its a very hard time for them,,,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

I took my kids up to see the lough yesterday they have never seen it frozen,,we brough along a loaf of bread and some old cereal,,,i think the loaf of bread lasted about 3 mins,,,The birds are starving there,,,There is no grass left and with most of the water frozen over its hard for them the feed. Also the swans need a lot of weter to take off and land so they have to stay where they are..So if any of you are passing by can you please bring up any old bread or cereal and give them a hand..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

The poor things dont seem to be able to see or get to the food put out... As kids, we were always told to put food out 'for the birds' :) Have been trying this week but the bread etc ends up freezing.. Have tried just now with some oil, cereal etc. and putitng hot water out to get some element of longevity to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Bread actually isn't good for swans, you're much better off bringing them things like potatos, carrots and seeds.

But they, along with all wild birds, definitely need lots of help in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Definitely, the poor things are really struggling. I just want to highlight again how important the water is as many of them are actually dying of thirst rather than starvation as most people forget they have no access to their normal water sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Threads merged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Im seeing a lot more seagulls around and I live 22 miles from the sea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 AbigailE

Ive never had as many birds in my garden as I have had today :(
    There is one rather large bird that hasnt left all day unless I go out to defrost the water but it seems to keep flying back

I have lots of robins and other small birds possibly finches and a few scruffy blackbirds and the usual crows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If making food balls for the birds don't use netting to hold them as the birds legs can become entwined in them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 wheelbarrah

Here's a quick list of what you can feed wild birds

Warning ! Salt is toxic to birds

Uncooked porridge oats
    Cake crumbs
    Potatoes – baked, roast and even mashed NO SALT
    Grated cheese
    Windfall, soft or over-ripe fruits
    These contain fats and sugars which help birds with their one aim: surviving the winter in order to breed next spring.

Bread:Very low in nutritional value. Brown bread is better than white. Soak it first. Don't use it during the breeding season. Baby birds can choke on it.

Dog and Cat food: Meaty tinned dog and cat food can be very useful for birds, and form an acceptable substitute to earthworms during the warm, dry part of the summer when worms are beyond the birds' reach. Blackbirds readily take dog food, and even feed it to their chicks.

Peanuts: are rich in fats and are of major importance to tit and greenfinch flocks during the winter and cold spring months. Never place out loose nuts during the breeding season. Salted peanuts should never be used for bird food.

Rice and cereals: Cooked rice, brown or white (without salt added) is beneficial and readily accepted by all species during severe winter weather. Porridge oats must never be cooked, since this makes them glutinous and can harden around a bird's beak. Uncooked porridge oats are readily taken by a number of bird species. Any breakfast cereal is acceptable, put out small quantities at a time. It is best offered dry, with a supply of drinking water nearby, since it quickly turns into pulp once wetted.

Coconut: Give fresh coconut only, in the shell. Desiccated coconut should never be used as it may swell once inside a bird and cause death

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Ok I've put out some food for the birds and none came down to eat it??? I feel like someone who has thrown a party and no one tuned up!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

lrushe wrote: »
    Ok I've put out some food for the birds and none came down to eat it??? I feel like someone who has thrown a party and no one tuned up!!!:D
    If this is the first time you've put food out, it can take them a while to find it, so be patient. I'd be very surprised if you don't see birds tomorrow morning, especially in this weather.
    They stop feeding when it starts to get dark, too, so if you put it out late afternoon today, that might help explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

Its so sad, the birds around the garden are dying all over the place, picked 2 up from a tree, frozen.

We made up a sheltered feeding place and also place a container with water.

We feeding them seeds and cheap bread (can't afford a lot at the moment).

Is there anything else we can do for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I make "bird cake";; any fat, and flour, porridge oats etc. It is cheap and goes a long way. High fat; lard when I can get it.

Crumbled cornflakes etc also.

Cannot afford to buy peanuts etc....

I have been feeding them since before the freeze and am the only house around so they flock in.

They are looking fat and fit and strong up here.

Yes I made some of those ball things and they are eating away, some on the trees some under the shelter, but it's sad to see them dying.

Apart from the 2 we picked up from the tree, my pup keeps bringing them in dead, since she's only a pup she must be picking them up from the floor, so they are still dying and i don't know what else I can do if anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

tudlytops wrote: »
    Its so sad, the birds around the garden are dying all over the place, picked 2 up from a tree, frozen.

We made up a sheltered feeding place and also place a container with water.

We feeding them seeds and cheap bread (can't afford a lot at the moment).

Is there anything else we can do for them.

That's so sad poor things. There are less birds around than last year esp. smaller ones so I would guess that a lot of perished around here as well.

I wonder would it be a good idea for people to put out more bird boxes and food over the rest of the year so that when breeding season comes around they might have a chance to recover.

Made birdy cakes had left over fat and breadcrumbs from xmas, still ok and added wild bird seed and dried fruit and stole some of the cockatiels food. They seem to like it the robins, sparrows and other small birds like it caught one of the blackbirds eating out of it and they never normally go near the bird feeder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have no way of comparing numbers up here, as we are so new here, but they are fit and strong and very numerous. There is a round metal feeder outside the porch and the tits are always there. I put eg the fatty rind off ham shank in it. ( I get ham shanks here for E1.50 each for soup;; ofeten a pound of good meat on them)

But I have seen no dead or weak ones. Maybe country birds fare better than town ones?
    Not too worried re water fro them as I am sure they eat snow as the dogs do and it has been impossible to keep the water ice free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

I made bird pudding for the birds in our garden (we feed them seeds and bread all year round) but none of them have touched it. I melted suet and mixed in some peanut butter and some oats and then let it set. Did I do something wrong? I'm worried that maybe there are no birds coming anymore cos they have all died in the cold.

Graces7 wrote: »
    I have no way of comparing numbers up here, as we are so new here, but they are fit and strong and very numerous. There is a round metal feeder outside the porch and the tits are always there. I put eg the fatty rind off ham shank in it. ( I get ham shanks here for E1.50 each for soup;; ofeten a pound of good meat on them)

But I have seen no dead or weak ones. Maybe country birds fare better than town ones?
    Not too worried re water fro them as I am sure they eat snow as the dogs do and it has been impossible to keep the water ice free.

Yes i would say country birds fare better as city birds have less where to nest and where to get food and the more we bulid the less they'll have.

AS soon as i can I'm putting some bird houses and nesting places around so they'll get used to seeing them and maybe if this happens again they'll used them.

Don't think there's any more we can do for them really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭animalcrazy

There has been a large number of Red Wings dying this year, try and leave out some fruit for them like berries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭bealfeirste5

We have a plump robin out our garden. Comes back every winter just for the food!

Advertisement