Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Sorrento, Italy?

• 08-01-2010 11:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Want to go to Sorrento in Italy next summer - looks great. However, can't seem to find decent accommodation (at a decent price). There are plenty of places, but those that don't have bad reviews are very expensive.

Can anyone recommend somewhere they have stayed? Would like something with B&B for a week or so (near a beach) that won't break the bank!

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,326 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A group of us stayed in the Hotel Girasole a few years ago and couldn't fault the place. It's about a 10/15 minute walk into the town itself from the hotel, and the staff were really friendly. The one thing about that part of Italy is that there are no beaches. There's an artificial lido down at the harbour in Sorrento, that's the best you'll do around there. I wouldn't recommend staying longer than a week though. It's a lovely place and there's a few good day trips you can do (Capri, Pompeii, Positano, etc.) but you soon run out of things to do in the town itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 RawShark

That's great, thanks for the info! Anyone know of somewhere LIKE Sorrento but NEAR a beach? I'm trying to avoid the hardcore beach spots with English and German folk and get some culture in too. Sorrento wolud be perfect only for the lack of beach for that one day I want do absolutely nothing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭spoonface

Zaph wrote: »
    A group of us stayed in the Hotel Girasole a few years ago and couldn't fault the place. It's about a 10/15 minute walk into the town itself from the hotel, and the staff were really friendly. The one thing about that part of Italy is that there are no beaches. There's an artificial lido down at the harbour in Sorrento, that's the best you'll do around there. I wouldn't recommend staying longer than a week though. It's a lovely place and there's a few good day trips you can do (Capri, Pompeii, Positano, etc.) but you soon run out of things to do in the town itself.

We found a little beach and it was just lovely, we had it all to ourselves. Proceed South from the town, the road climbs up, stay with the coast all the way,keeping right. After perhaps 10 minutes walk, past a number of cliff-perched hotels, there's a little downward path down and about 5 minutes on that brought us to a lovely spot by the sea. It was a rock formation rather than smooth sand but a great place for a dip. Another day we went down to the little harbour in the town and rented an old pedalo and just pedalled along the cliffs and jumped off for a swim when we felt like it! Just lovely.

Advertisement