Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ch expansion tank

• 08-01-2010 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

ive just fitted a new woodburner stove with a boiler. my problem is that my upstairs rad. (only one) doesnt heat. I Tried bleedimg it but it doesnt seemto bleed properly.My ch header tank is not much higher than my upstairs rad. Also the water in the header tank is warm. Do i need a larger tank or else reposition it higher up? The rad worked ok before i fitted the woodburner

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

paulmallon wrote: »
    ive just fitted a new woodburner stove with a boiler. my problem is that my upstairs rad. (only one) doesnt heat. I Tried bleedimg it but it doesnt seemto bleed properly.My ch header tank is not much higher than my upstairs rad. Also the water in the header tank is warm. Do i need a larger tank or else reposition it higher up? The rad worked ok before i fitted the woodburner

Few ways around it, first is to add some pressure to fill and vent, adding mains temporally will work just have to isolate header tank while filling with mains, once full system will loose pressure but rad will stay full.

Failing that, turn off all rads (one side of each will do) except that one, if you can turn on circulation pump without stove turn it on and vent rad, if you cant turn pump on separate from stove, just fire it up at lowest heat possible with pump running and all other rads off, plenty of poke to push air out of rad.

I'd raise tank if its possible, if its not big job etc, save's hassle later on as that rad may be a troublesome one.

Warm water in header tank is fine in most cases, as long as it's not bubbling hot. Header tanks are known as F&E tanks, feed and expansion, as water heats, it expands, header / F&E tank take's up the expansion, hot water rises and so on. Its not just for filling heating, some do warm up during expansion.

Stove should have info on F&E tank, how many ltrs it take's up during expansion, you add this figure with heating system ltr to work out correct ltr to allow for expansion.

Advertisement