Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Cinema Nights.

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

After some discussion in the Cork Social Outings thread, there was some interest in nights out for people to meet up, take in a movie & go for a chat afterwards.

Having one thread where people could recommend/discuss movies that they have seen or would like to see & arrange meetings seems like a good idea.

The Gate is possibly the most appropriate venue being that it is in town & there are plenty of places around to meet & chat before/after.

You can check what is currently showing at the Gate here. If anyone has an interest in seeing a movie next week, post what you would want to see & a date/time that would suit you.

There are a few films in at the moment which I would mind seeing, namely The Road or Daybreakers but I'll pretty much watch anything. Thursday would be the best day for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭mudokon

:pac:

Maybe this week was a liitle short notice, would anyone have any interest in going to see Brothers?

Think it opens on the 22nd Jan here so maybe go around the 26th/27th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 30something2010

mudokon wrote: »
    Maybe this week was a liitle short notice, would anyone have any interest in going to see Brothers?

Think it opens on the 22nd Jan here so maybe go around the 26th/27th.

Yeah I would definitely be up for going to see that one.Most days suit me really...

Yeah I would definitely be up for going to see that one.Most days suit me really...

I figured sometime midweek would suit more people, until the times are released I couldnt really say a day that suits as if I'm working on the day then I wouldnt be back into town until almost 8:45.

looks a good film though, I still have some reservations regarding Tobey Maguire in it but hopefully I'll be wrong.

Anyone else interested in going to see this? It's on every day at 9pm in the gate till next Thursday. I'd say it will still be in next week too but times may have changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Anyone else interested in going to see this? It's on every day at 9pm in the gate till next Thursday. I'd say it will still be in next week too but times may have changed.

Hmmm, I don't know - it seems a bit too 'chick-flick' for my liking... I may give it a go, though.:confused:

If there is anything that you would rather see let us know. There is also The Road or Up In The Air in at the moment which sound decent enough.

If there is anything that you would rather see let us know. There is also The Road or Up In The Air in at the moment which sound decent enough.

I kind of like the look of 'Up In The Air' but Nursemar88 says it's rubbish so I'm not so sure, now...

colblimp wrote: »
    I kind of like the look of 'Up In The Air' but Nursemar88 says it's rubbish so I'm not so sure, now...

Everything I have read on "Up In The Air" seems to be of the opinion that it is a decent film. If I like the idea of a film then I'll watch it rather than trust a review of it though.

Out of interest what did Nursemar88 say she disliked about it?

Everything I have read on "Up In The Air" seems to be of the opinion that it is a decent film. If I like the idea of a film then I'll watch it rather than trust a review of it though.

Out of interest what did Nursemar88 say she disliked about it?

Er, she said the whole film sucked lol! However, I believe reviews are just a matter of opinion - I might love it! So yeah, if you're going to see up In The Air, I'll come along, watch the film and we can criticise it afterwards somewhere! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭akamossy

I really enjoyed Up in the air! Brothers was only ok

I'd like to go and see "Brothers". It's got a good cast and story seems ok.

I'd like to go and see "Brothers". It's got a good cast and story seems ok.

I saw a trailer for that but I didn't 'get it' - what's it all about?

I saw a trailer for that but I didn't 'get it' - what's it all about?

Well, from what I can gather it's about a soldier who goes off to fight in Afghanistan (I think?) and his wife/girlfriend who is left behind ends up getting together with his brother. Thats pretty much what I gathered from the trailer I've seen on TV but obviously there's a lot more to it than that. Wanna come along?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'll follow along to see whatever anyways

Well, from what I can gather it's about a soldier who goes off to fight in Afghanistan (I think?) and his wife/girlfriend who is left behind ends up getting together with his brother. Thats pretty much what I gathered from the trailer I've seen on TV but obviously there's a lot more to it than that. Wanna come along?

Yeah, I'll come along. When?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

If Im not swamped with college work Ill head to this. Sat down tonight and looked at everything I need to do....its all a bit daunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭miss_shadow

i'll go, if the night ye are going suits me :)
    I haven't seen avatar yet..

and I saw up in the air the other night, it was ok.

Seems to be some interest in Brothers now, would Thursday suit everyone?

I havent seen Avatar either, the 3D version is supposed to be amazing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I'd be on for seeing avatar in 3D defo.
    Seen up in the air the other - tis pretty decent
    Also would be up for most other films

• Advertisement

For Avatar I'd say this week may be the last chance to see it as it is down to one showing a week in most cinemas now.

The Gate has 3 showings a day from now till Thursday. 1.45 5.15 8.45pm

Yeah I had noticed that too.
    I's say 8.45 is the best option..

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Yeah I had noticed that too.
    I's say 8.45 is the best option..

What day would suit?

Any evening apart from thursday..

So to get some definites on whether people can make it, if we go Tuesday for Avatar 8:45 showing & Thursday for Brothers 9:15 showing both at the Gate.

How about Tribes for a meeting point? 7.30 for Tues & 8 for the Thursday.

I'll be up for both of these but I might not be able to make Tribes on the Tuesday because of work.

If anybody needs a contact number you can PM me. :)

I'd be OK for 'Brothers' on Thursday but wouldn't arrive into town until about 8:30 as I have speed training at the track on that night. Would it be best to go straight to The Gate or will you all still be in Tribes?

I'd be OK for 'Brothers' on Thursday but wouldn't arrive into town until about 8:30 as I have speed training at the track on that night. Would it be best to go straight to The Gate or will you all still be in Tribes?

We should look at being at the Gate by 9 so I'd say leaving Tribes by about 8:50 would be good.

We should look at being at the Gate by 9 so I'd say leaving Tribes by about 8:50 would be good.

Cool, I'll meet you all in Tribes, then. :D Can you please PM me your number? It's just so I don't go asking random strangers if they're Boardsies! :rolleyes:

Cool! I'll come along on Thursday to see "Brothers" (can't make Tuesday and wouldn't be in to seeing "Avatar" anyway). Can make it in to Tribes alright so see ye in there at 8ish. Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Not sure if I'll make Thursday. I'll see. But I cannot drink much anymore, saving up for a trip :(

Advertisement