Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Issues forum, should it be searchable?

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

I can see the reasons why it can't be searched
    And there are ways to search for key words in google which may find a thread.

I ask as I started a thread in helpdesk a few months ago asking how to search. I did post anonymously on some thread in PI back in July and thought it was a very useful thread and worth reading again.
    I got some helpful replies and pm's in helpdesk but no real solution

Say I want to search "stress at work" I could find it. We have a work issues forum now but that wasn't always there. I'm using stress at work as an example, could be any issue realy....

Just thinking out loud I suppose here, do you think this should be changed or is it better the way it is?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Considering you can use google to search it to your hearts content, I can't see any reason to stop our search searching it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Google can work but does not always work

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

mikemac, if you want to PM me the details of the thread I'll see what I can find for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I thought PI was searchable? I remember searching for something on it only last week.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Piste wrote: »
    I thought PI was searchable? I remember searching for something on it only last week.
    Only to mods and subscribers I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is an issue with people dragging up old posts with comments like "Any update?" six months after someone has had a miscarriage which can be rather insensitive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Also issues with people in other forums linking to other people's PI posts with snide comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

if you want to find your own PI later you could always tag it with a marker world, like Jabberwocky or something unique to you

[I've never done this but youre welcome to run a search on Jabberwocky]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Overheal wrote: »
    if you want to find your own PI later you could always tag it with a marker world, like Jabberwocky or something unique to you

[I've never done this but youre welcome to run a search on Jabberwocky]
    I'm sure Lewis Carroll would also approve of just saving the URL (web address) for later reference:) It doesn't have that literary touch but it is guaranteed to give a precise result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Subscribe to thread?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sceptre wrote: »
    I'm sure Lewis Carroll would also approve of just saving the URL (web address) for later reference:) It doesn't have that literary touch but it is guaranteed to give a precise result.
    I reformat a lot ;)

Advertisement