Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nextivity Mobile Booster | Any takers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cowboy1981

Condi wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.
    Having a good signal on the Coverage Unit just means that the Wi-Fi signal within your house is good, because you are not too far from the Window Unit. This is just an internal network within your house, using Wi-Fi between the two units. If the 3 signal in your area is very poor or overloaded, then the Nextivity unit is useless.

You need to keep complaining that it is not working, and insist that 3 provide you with the Satellite alternative. This doesn't use 3's network and is provided by a 3rd party Satellite provider. It is a better solution. Also make sure to copy your complaints to the Minister for Communications Eamonn Ryan, as his Department have deluded themselves that the National Broadband Scam is actually working and are paying out €80M of tax-payers/EU money to 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nextivity

Condi,

If you are getting bars at the Window Unit, then chances are 99.9% that the CelFi will work in your home. The signal received from the base station is validated before the bars are displayed.

There are two ways we can think of to solve your problem. First one is to make sure that you have a couple of meters between the Coverage Unit and your 3G dongle. Sometimes this actually helps to get the network signalling working better.

Second option is to look at the configuration of your dongle. If you have ever tried to use any other USB dongle before it can create conflicts with the drivers. Try using the remove software option to completely delete any existing drivers and then reinstall the drivers that came with your Three dongle.

If neither of these work, let me know, and I can contact you directly to resolve your problem.

Best regards,

Nextivity Support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Im a little confused as to what your trying to achieve or have in fact achieved!!! Sorry Ive been working 8 days straight and am not at my best at this hour!!!

I use this:

http://www.st.co.kr/en/product/MC_6.html

This unit takes my good coverage at the window, then boosts it in that room and then I gave one of these:

http://www.edimax.com/en/produce_detail.php?pd_id=279&pl1_id=3&pl2_id=18

to distribute the 3g into Wifi. I find this unit very relaible and the coverage never drops.

• Advertisement

Condi,

Let’s rule out some possibilities here. As a test, with the Nextivity switched off, have you tried to relocate your laptop and mobile to the location where you have your Window Unit installed? In this location does the laptop ‘connect’ and provide internet connectivity? Does the mobile register and place 3G calls as well? The answers here would serve as an important data point as it would reveal if the incoming signal into your house and received by the Window Unit is usable.

You can send your contact details to info@nextivityinc.com and we'll be able to contact you directly.

Best regards,

Nextivity Support

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mattgmit

Please be gentle with me - I'm new and not the brightest.
    By hook or by crook I have a Nextivity system with the '3' logo upon it.
    I have contract with 02 for which I have a E1752 dongle. I live in country side and have to put my dongle in a tupperware box and hang it off of my gutter via a Wallace and Gromit style pulley system (strictly high tech around here).
    Will nextivity system boost 02 3G signal?
    The Window Unit has 5 bars. The Coverage Unit searches for connection to Window Unit finds it displays number as per instruction manual and then BAM the red light comes on the display, random figures come up and it starts searching again. I rang Nextivity in UK and fair play they did not or more precise could not answer my queries or help to repair unit.
    I have contacted Solid Technolgies re purchasing above mentioned ANTENNA EMBEDDED HOME REPEATER: HR
    Any help or advice appreciated.

Condi wrote: »

This is a very interesting thread you have started Condi. It is absolutely disgraceful that 3 are squandering taxpayers money providing multiple installs at customers premises, and leaving government subsidised kit lying around, simply because their network doesn't work. I suspect that those Nextivity units probably cost us taxpayers several hundred Euro each.

It is a nice touch that we are now getting direct technical support from Nextivity. My impression is that these units probably do what they say on the can, but it is a case of garbage in garbage out. If there is no 3 coverage or if 3 are overloaded in an area, a perfectly functional Nextivity unit will do nothing other than increase your electricity bill. As to why the Nextivity is suggesting 3 bars coverage at the Window Unit - let's see if the Nextivity guy can explain this?

One needs to be careful using a 3 mobile phone and assuming that just because it works that you have 3 coverage. 3 use Vodafone for 2G roaming in rural areas, which hides their own poor coverage on 3G. This is no use for Broadband, and I doubt that the Nextivity would work on the roaming agreement, as it would mean broadcasting on Vodafone spectrum. I'm not suggesting that you made this mistake Condi, as you have been extremely clear in your email that there is absolutely nothing working on 3 in your house - but others might fall into the trap.

mattgmit wrote: »
    I have contract with 02 for which I have a E1752 dongle. I live in country side and have to put my dongle in a tupperware box and hang it off of my gutter via a Wallace and Gromit style pulley system (strictly high tech around here).
    The Window Unit has 5 bars. The Coverage Unit searches for connection to Window Unit finds it displays number as per instruction manual and then BAM the red light comes on the display, random figures come up and it starts searching again. I rang Nextivity in UK and fair play they did not or more precise could not answer my queries or help to repair unit.
    I have contacted Solid Technolgies re purchasing above mentioned ANTENNA EMBEDDED HOME REPEATER: HR
    Condi is right - the Nextivity unit won't work with O2 - it can only broadcast on 3's licenced spectrum.

That Solid Technologies repeater you reference looks completely illegal for use in Ireland or any other country with UMTS licenced spectrum. I wouldn't recommend that you buy it. It will illegally transmit on the frequencies licensed to the mobile operators. If they detect you doing this, you will be liable to prosecution - and rightly so.

• Advertisement

mattgmit wrote: »
    Dear mattgmit,

Thanks for your question. While Nextivity Cel-Fi Smart Repeater is capable of working with any network, the kit is provisioned to work only on the operator who provided it, in your case Hutchison 3G Ireland; as such and you won't be able to use it to enjoy stronger signals on any 3G network besides Three Ireland.

Regarding the red 'too far' LED on your Coverage Unit which you are reporting, this is an indicator on the user interface that is informing the user that the Coverage Unit is just outside of range from the Window Unit. Try moving the Coverage Unit closer to the Window Unit.

Best Regards,

Nextivity Support

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Condi thanks for starting a great thread. I only stumbled on it by accident. I wonder would it be a good idea to move it to the midband forum as a lot of three customers post there. Maybe mods might look at this.

I have a question for nextivity, what is the usb port on the coverage unit for. Great tech support by the way nextivity, nice to see that..:)

I find them ok. My signal is boosted well by it. I am getting good speeds all the time.

The only thing that worries me is both units get hot including the plugs so i always plug them out when i am finished.

Sometimes the modem gets confused and youll get no servive or no network is which case i close down the three screen, plug out both units and start the 3 broadband again and then turn the window unit on then the coverage box which normally fixes it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Moved from Nets & Comms.

That sounds like a software clash condi more than coverage. can you start up the modem with the booster off

malcox wrote: »
    Condi thanks for starting a great thread. I only stumbled on it by accident. I wonder would it be a good idea to move it to the midband forum as a lot of three customers post there. Maybe mods might look at this.

I have a question for nextivity, what is the usb port on the coverage unit for. Great tech support by the way nextivity, nice to see that..:)
    Dear malcox,

Thanks for your enquiry. Presently the USB slot on the rear of the Coverage Unit is strictly used for factory maintenance.

Best regards,

Nextivity Support

• Advertisement

Nextivity has bases in the US (California) and in the UK (Swindon).

Our location and contact information can be found on our website at:

http://www.nextivityinc.com/contact-us.php

Best Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 14 captainpugwash

Got the booster 1wk ago,finally got it to work today! Dongle would connect on its own ok (dial up speeds).Switch on booster,4/5 bar signal but no connection ( no service etc). Drove me insane it did -switched units on/off -uninstalled/reinstalled software-dumped half the contents of my pc-searched for every possible driver conflict known to man. Finaly gave up and as a last resort phoned tech: support ( somewhere in India I think). Got the following answer-
    Dongle connecting to nearest mast,working but congested.
    Booster to more distant mast, strong signal but unuseable-under repair.
    Booster once locked on can't be shifted.

If this is true then "sods law" dictates that the booster will lock onto unuseable signals-strong signal = no traffic =under repair.Perhaps the Nextivity chap will comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cowboy.1981

Got the booster 1wk ago,finally got it to work today! Dongle would connect on its own ok (dial up speeds).Switch on booster,4/5 bar signal but no connection ( no service etc). Drove me insane it did -switched units on/off -uninstalled/reinstalled software-dumped half the contents of my pc-searched for every possible driver conflict known to man. Finaly gave up and as a last resort phoned tech: support ( somewhere in India I think). Got the following answer-
    Dongle connecting to nearest mast,working but congested.
    Booster to more distant mast, strong signal but unuseable-under repair.
    Booster once locked on can't be shifted.
    Look on the bright side - you now automatically qualify for the subsidised satellite solution. If the repeater had worked, it would probably only have lasted a few weeks, until some of your neighbours signed up. You will need to put pressure on 3 to make sure you get the satellite solution. They don't like giving them out, but they are obliged to under the scheme. Escalate to the following, and make sure that they are aware of your experience. It is vital that our public representatives are made aware of this scandalous waste of taxpayers money.
    • Patrick Kidney in Analysy Mason, the Consultants who are responsible for monitoring the performance of 3 under the NBS contract, <patrick.kidney@analysysmason.com>
    • Robert Finnegan, CEO 3 Ireland, 3rd Floor, 6-10 Suffolk Street, Dublin 2
    • The Office of the Comptroller & Auditor General, who is responsible for ensuring that public funds are not misappropriated <samantha_lee@audgen.irlgov.ie>
    • Your local Public Representatives (Ministers, Councillors)
    • Your local media (radio, newspapers)

Nextivity booster seems to be ****ed now as well. The green light on both coverage unit and window yoke are flashing all the time. The window unit upstairs keeps tripping the switches in the fusebox. You could make your dinner on both they get so hot.

malcox wrote: »
    Nextivity booster seems to be ****ed now as well. The green light on both coverage unit and window yoke are flashing all the time. The window unit upstairs keeps tripping the switches in the fusebox. You could make your dinner on both they get so hot.
    That's pretty scary. It's one thing to have bad broadband, but it would be an altogether more serious matter if someone's house was burnt down by one of these, with possible loss of life.

Is it the Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker (ELCB) or a regular circuit breaker that is tripping?

Is it possible these units were designed for US 110V, and not properly re-engineered for European 230V? If the ELCB is tripping, the unit may not have sufficient insulation for the higher European voltage.

Look on the bright side - you now automatically qualify for the subsidised satellite solution. If the repeater had worked, it would probably only have lasted a few weeks, until some of your neighbours signed up. You will need to put pressure on 3 to make sure you get the satellite solution. They don't like giving them out, but they are obliged to under the scheme. Escalate to the following, and make sure that they are aware of your experience. It is vital that our public representatives are made aware of this scandalous waste of taxpayers money.
    • Patrick Kidney in Analysy Mason, the Consultants who are responsible for monitoring the performance of 3 under the NBS contract, <patrick.kidney@analysysmason.com>
    • Robert Finnegan, CEO 3 Ireland, 3rd Floor, 6-10 Suffolk Street, Dublin 2
    • The Office of the Comptroller & Auditor General, who is responsible for ensuring that public funds are not misappropriated <samantha_lee@audgen.irlgov.ie>
    • Your local Public Representatives (Ministers, Councillors)
    • Your local media (radio, newspapers)
    grand, but what happens if the satellite systems congested for this very same reason? You are still paying for the year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

grand, but what happens if the satellite systems congested for this very same reason? You are still paying for the year.

Only for the rest of the year contract , Nextivity will replace that toasted unit if you contact Swindon or else 3 will swap it for you.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Only for the rest of the year contract , Nextivity will replace that toasted unit if you contact Swindon or else 3 will swap it for you.
    You seem to be confusing posts Sponge Bob! My Nextivity unit transformers run no more than warm to the touch (normal).They do all that can be expected of really--weak signal in, less weak out.

• Advertisement

The NBS included minimum specifications for both the mobile and satellite technologies. Theoretically these need to be met, although nobody seems to be bothered to police them.

If you fail to get the specified service on Satellite, you would be entitled to your money back under standard consumer legislation. You could pursue 3 to Small Claims Court if necessary.

However, the Satellite appears to be a far superior solution to their mobile dongles. It is provided by a 3rd party on Eutelsat satellite, so you are not dependent on 3 infrastructure. Of course, they may overload it in due course, particularly as nobody seems to get the NBS spec from their mobile dongles. Only a fraction of NBS victims are likely to persevere to the stage where they get satellite, so you might be lucky. Most will give up in despair after a week struggling with the Mumbai script monkeys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement