Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nextivity Mobile Booster | Any takers?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

See Router threads.

Linksys
    Dovado
    Netgear
    Solwise
    Dlink
    Edison/Edimax?

NOT a portable WiFi Hotspot, unless you live in a different hotel each week.

Make sure it supports the Modem you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

murraypjm wrote: »
    Hi I am not in the National Broadband Scheme area but use 3 as in internet service providor, am wondering if anyone has or knowa how i could get a Nextivity Booster, am willing to pay

This would be illegal. You cannot use a 3G repeater without licence, and only the 3G operators are licenced to install them.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 murraypjm

I use a 3g dongle, am hoping to improve the signal to get faster speeds,

There's really nothing you can do to improve signal. Improving signal won't necessarily improve speed anyway, as the two are not quite linked. No signal obviously means no speed, but full signal could easily mean no speed too. Even with a bare 1 bar of 3G, you'll get about the highest speed you're ever going to get. Congestion on 3G networks is far more important, and you can do nothing about that. In fact, no one can do anything about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

I think them Nextivity boosters are a waste of time. I had one and was getting low speeds and constant disconnections. I purchased a Dovado 4Gr router and all problems are solved. No disconnections and I am getting 6MBS download.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 murraypjm

jor el wrote: »
    There's really nothing you can do to improve signal. Improving signal won't necessarily improve speed anyway, as the two are not quite linked. No signal obviously means no speed, but full signal could easily mean no speed too. Even with a bare 1 bar of 3G, you'll get about the highest speed you're ever going to get. Congestion on 3G networks is far more important, and you can do nothing about that. In fact, no one can do anything about it.

Thanks, for your help, will probably save me a few euro and time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 alexstan

Has anyone ever tried one of these? I have had a good chat with one of the chaps in cetag that sell it and he reckons it should double your connection speed if you are in a poor area, as it is clever and searches out the cell tower with the best internet signal and lowest number of users.

http://www.wibe.ie/home/

Cheers
    Alex

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

No. It won't, or if it does, in almost all cases an ordinary router + modem + directional aerial will be better and cheaper.

The mast density is not high enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

watty wrote: »
    No. It won't, or if it does, in almost all cases an ordinary router + modem + directional aerial will be better and cheaper.

The mast density is not high enough.

Do you connect the directional aerial to the 3G stick,If so how.
    My brothers house doesn't have great reception and I'd like to try what you suggested in this post.

Do I just mount a 3g router and 3g usb stick outside?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Is the Huawei E1820 the only 3g modem that you can put an antenna on, anybody know of any other one's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

cork45 wrote: »
    Is the Huawei E1820 the only 3g modem that you can put an antenna on, anybody know of any other one's.

The connector Huawei use is a CRC9 and a qiuck google gave me this list of Huawei dongles using the same connector E156 & E156G E160 E160E E160G E161 E169 E122 E176G K3520 E1762 E1820. But double check if your going to be buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone knows what the external antenna connector on the solid technologies WCDMA home repeater three supply is. Was going to connect external antenna to it instead of the window mounted one supplied as signal still not good enough.

Cant seem to find any info anywhere about them...

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭s_gr

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Hi, resurrecting this old thread, i was given a Cel Fi window unit and coverage unit, also with 3 logo on it, is it any use to me as i dont use 3 mobile or 3 broadband?
    Will it boost my eircom broadband?

A 3G booster can only be supplied by an operator as it requires a licence to broadcast in the 3G spectrum. A 3G signal booster has nothing to do with eircom DSL broadband over a phone line.

Closing thread, because unless your operator provided this, then it's an illegal 3G transmitter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement