Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy a Palm Pre in Ireland

Options
  • 08-01-2010 11:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows where to get a Palm Pre in Ireland. Not from o2.

I know it'll have to be an unlocked one if not from o2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Not sure of any shops, but there's online shops like expansys.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

They just say preorder. Been like that since before christmas. Any other online shops that are good for sim free phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭dubmick

New improved Palm Pre is about to be released in the US. It's called the Palm Pre Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

The only officially unlocked GSM Palm Pres are O2 Germany ones
    (and have a QWERTZ keyboard not QWERTY)

unofficially unlocked Movistar Spain Pres do appear sometimes on ebay.

We're not likely to see the Palm Pre Plus here for a while, the version about to be launched next week on Verizon is CDMA not GSM.

SFR France seems likely to launch with a GSM Palm Pre Plus (but with an AZERTY keyboard)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭paul.irl

The Palm Pre from o2 Germany costs €409. See link: http://www.o2online.de/nw/handys/palmpre/palm-pre.html?et_cid=25&et_lid=358722&et_sub=1col_palmpre-o2o-myhandy-packm_white

O2 Germany sell these without a contract. If you are interested in one, let me know. Can probably help you as I'm based in Munich, the home of o2 Germany ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

noticed 02 now selling the palm pre plus, are there many pre owners here??

ipodrocker wrote: »
    noticed 02 now selling the palm pre plus, are there many pre owners here??

Short answer - 'very few' which is the problem. Its a great phone & even better OS, but not enough users.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Short answer - 'very few' which is the problem. Its a great phone & even better OS, but not enough users.

do you own one?

ipodrocker wrote: »
    do you own one?
    Short answer - 'no'

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

3 of us in our office got plam pres as company device.

I was switching from a Nokia E63, the other to were from a E66 and a basic Motorola.

That was October/November, I am back at with my E63, and the E66 is back too.

Just one of us stuck with it. he required all 3 batteries since that and it not even a year old.

My opinion is A very good OS but the hardware doesn't back it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

ki wrote: »
    3 of us in our office got plam pres as company device.

I was switching from a Nokia E63, the other to were from a E66 and a basic Motorola.

That was October/November, I am back at with my E63, and the E66 is back too.

Just one of us stuck with it. he required all 3 batteries since that and it not even a year old.

My opinion is A very good OS but the hardware doesn't back it up.

Is it very high usage? I use mine I'd say a fairly average amount and I easily get a day out of the battery which seems to be the norm for most smartphones. 30-40 emails, browsing, facebook, apps, approx 4/5 calls and 15 texts maybe. I'd use the emails and facebook quite a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Well, I got a Pre Plus yesterday. The plan was to review it for a friend's site, but
    that won't happen, and here's why:

it is utterly unusable on 2g. It is an excellent device. I love the OS, but after various updates it still takes 3 - 4 mins to load a simple webpage when you're out of 3g coverage. I can use my HD2 with 2 bars of O2's EDGE without problems thanks to Opera mobile. The Pre Plus is poinlless unless you have permanent wifi/3g coverage. Without 3g even booting it up can take minutes. while it tries to connect to palm's servers. Maybe that explains why it's not very popular here?

Since the first Pre users have been hoping for a port of opera mini, yet there's still no alternative to the great but very data hungry browser.

Even syncing a handful of light emails takes forever over EDGE.

In fact O2 might as well replace the E-icon with the no-signal icon.

On the other hand: if your signal is great at all times, then yes: sweet device. Best UI/OS out there. Go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭globemaster1986

strecker wrote: »
    Best UI/OS out there.

I couldn't agree more!:D Hopefully with HP taking over we will see more new devices etc

i hope to hear from more users on their experience with the device, im torn to take the plug and get it.

The future of web os is uncertain - although it will certainly survive. There are very few apps for the pre & this situation is unlikely to improve for possibly years.

I was planning to get a pre last november, but decided to go with android at the time & am very glad I did.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The future of web os is uncertain - although it will certainly survive. There are very few apps for the pre & this situation is unlikely to improve for possibly years.

I was planning to get a pre last november, but decided to go with android at the time & am very glad I did.

which android device did you get?

I have a Hero. Its considered a budget phone now, but is still very capable.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hadit2here

i have this phone (Palm Pre) nearly a year, i think it is great. I get a full day out of the battery. I listen to radio alot in the morning travelling to work.

I have a touchstone for charging, which is class.

Only downside for me is that Flash is not yet released, even though it is working on it (youtube clips available of this) .... Adobe say they are still testing ....

I have several email accounts set up on it, sync.ing with Gmail/Gmail calendar is great.
    They way alerts/calendar reminders pop up is nice too

It has proper multitasking. Os updates are sent down OTA (over the air). App updates the same.

It does lack a few apps, but OpenDoc is suppose to be on the way. My favorite app (apart from radio app) is one called Squeeze Control, which I can use as a remote for my SqueezeBox Boom(this is an internet radio from Logitech which I would also highly recommend)

Also I can connect the Pre to my Samsung Home Theatre system, using bluetooth, play internet radio(using wireless to router) or MP3 on the phone, and feed the sound to the Samsung.

I am thinking about upgrading to the Palm Pre Plus, but not sure. O2 staff in Ireland are not very good at markteting the Pre, many havent a clue about it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,253 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Have a look on the Belgian phone companies sites, all phones in Belgium are unlocked, they usually sell full keypad phones as both qwerty and azerty due to the two languages in the country. They are usually expensive compared to here though

Advertisement