Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Support the Hapkido in Dublin Campaign - Join this group" [TITLE CHANGE]

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

Link is dead??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Chris89 wrote: »
    What is even Hapkido anyway

My only exposure to it was through Eugene McQ and it was a load of bollox.

Look what I found from summer 2003!.

attachment.php?attachmentid=103598&stc=1&d=1264548818

Myself and a mate went out to his club to run his (Eugene's) lads through some boxing & kickboxing.

I hope Eugene is getting on ok with whatever he's up to now, a terribly decent guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭Ug Lee

He always looked to me in photos as if he was straight off a sunbed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Baruch

I took up Hapkido in Korea, at age 33, and I've been doing it for nearly 2 years now. I never did any martial arts before that, but I would class it as an 'all round' martial art, whereas Taekwondo (even more popular here) is very focused on the kicking. I hope to keep it up back in Ireland, but I think I'll have to find something else and hope it's similar enough. I won't be living in Dublin either, if I was I'd be all for this!

I would say the problem seems to be transport and cost of renting space, here it's totally different, my dojang is 2 buildings from my home, with the choice of another 2 within the same distance!

DaBrow, you say you've done Karate for a while, I'd suggest you keep up with that for the kicks/strikes/weapons (correct me if that's way off!) and take up something new that emphasizes what you're missing (throws and locks/grappling). Or move to Korea and do hapkido all out for a while, the kicking wil be a breeze so you could focus on the new stuff.

And really, if you expect to be taken seriously on an online forum, learn to use the word 'whom' properly! :)

Baruch wrote: »
    Or move to Korea and do hapkido all out for a while, the kicking wil be a breeze so could focus on the new stuff.

Dabrow works around the airport and can't get his ass to Portmarnock. He lives in town and can't jump on a bus/train to Bray. I don't think he is going to go to Korea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭DaBrow

Ug Lee wrote: »
    Dabrow works around the airport and can't get his ass to Portmarnock. He lives in town and can't jump on a bus/train to Bray. I don't think he is going to go to Korea.

I live in Dublin 6w, Ug lee for all the mouthing off that you have made against me on this thread... You haven't learnt very much or paid attention.

Why can't you just get into your head that it is ridiculous Hapkido has no presence in Dublin itself... I don't know where you live exactly but I doubt you realise how difficult it is to get to bray on a weekday.

I'm lucky to hold onto my job at the moment... I calculated how long the traveling would take me on a night and the travelling time would take three hours in total.

Going to bray isn't realistic unless you either have a car (which I don't) or live on the rail-lines... Templeogue, Terenure and Harolds Cross don't have that either.

Baruch wrote: »
    I took up Hapkido in Korea, at age 33, and I've been doing it for nearly 2 years now. I never did any martial arts before that, but I would class it as an 'all round' martial art, whereas Taekwondo (even more popular here) is very focused on the kicking. I hope to keep it up back in Ireland, but I think I'll have to find something else and hope it's similar enough. I won't be living in Dublin either, if I was I'd be all for this!

I would say the problem seems to be transport and cost of renting space, here it's totally different, my dojang is 2 buildings from my home, with the choice of another 2 within the same distance!

DaBrow, you say you've done Karate for a while, I'd suggest you keep up with that for the kicks/strikes/weapons (correct me if that's way off!) and take up something new that emphasizes what you're missing (throws and locks/grappling). Or move to Korea and do hapkido all out for a while, the kicking wil be a breeze so you could focus on the new stuff.

And really, if you expect to be taken seriously on an online forum, learn to use the word 'whom' properly! :)

Thanks for the advice Baruch, I have aspirations for Hapkido because it is like you say an all round martial art... I'm confident that I would succeed because alot of Karate techniques are present in it.

I learn Wado Ryu and It has takedowns in it due to the jiu jitsu element that Hironori Ohtsuka introduced, but Hapkido uses more techniques that are absent from Karate... Nerve locks, Grappling etc.

I sometime wish we were alot like Korean society; they have made a success of themselves and still have their sense of identity along with a sense of tradition... We can learn alot from them and Martial Arts is just one of them.

Hapkido and Karate should be taught to our military personell... Judo is good as a sport but not on the battlefield and facing a deadly enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Baruch

City planning is one thing they do really well here, I'm not looking forward to getting back to Ireland and facing the travel problems you're having. I'll see if any of the sa-beoms here are interested in moving to Dublin! Are there any Korean restaurants there?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DaBrow wrote: »
    Hapkido and Karate should be taught to our military personell... Judo is good as a sport but not on the battlefield and facing a deadly enemy.

Indeed, war is serious business and our armed forces should have access to the latest in roundhouse kick technology. Judo is also lacking in deadly battlefield wristlocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Damo W

but Hapkido uses more techniques that are absent from Karate... Nerve locks, Grappling etc.

Generalisation, not absent from all karate interpretations......

• Advertisement

Seriously?.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

Judo is good as a sport but not on the battlefield and facing a deadly enemy.

What, you think my mighty tai-otoshi isn't enough to take on a squad of men armed with puny rifles and backed up by measly tanks?

Damo W wrote: »
    Generalisation, not absent from all karate interpretations......

Karate has an impressive selection of techniques damo; but I have to admit that it has it's limitations.

Hapkido fills the gaps that Karate has... Grappling being one of them

Karate has Strikes, Punches, Kicks and takedowns depending on what style you do but it is mainly the three above and that can leave the fighter vulnerable.

I live in Dublin 6w, Ug lee for all the mouthing off that you have made against me on this thread... You haven't learnt very much or paid attention.
    For me Harolds Cross is town.
    I doubt you realise how difficult it is to get to bray on a weekday.
    Go on the weekends. If there are no classes on the weekends, ask for privates.
    the travelling time would take three hours in total.
    So?
    Going to bray isn't realistic.
    I disagree.

You purposely haven't mentioned Portmarnock. I gave you the number to ring. Whats your excuse?

Please don't take this the wrong way but
    Seriously?.

I know you're a soldier Ari Creamy Boy and I have great respect for the Irish Army, I'd love to join them but I wouldn't be fit yet to even apply.

Judo is a martial art that really takes down the opponent by a throw, from what I have researched over the years it doesn't have many other techniques which on its own makes you very vulnerable from other techniques...

I was suprised that Jiu Jitsu an art the samurai developed isn't taught in the defence forces because; It has the elements of grappling from Judo but it also has kicks, punches, strikes, locks etc which are vital if you're ever attacked on or off the battlefield.

The Irish Defence Forces need other styles like Karate, Hapkido or Jiu Jitsu out of neccessity... Most other Armies, Marines Navies and Air Forces teach these because they are more effective & deadly against several opponents than Judo which is taught more like a sport and focuses on only one opponent.

Applicants to join the Korean Police require a black belt grade in hapkido to even be eligible for application
    What, you think my mighty tai-otoshi isn't enough to take on a squad of men armed with puny rifles and backed up by measly tanks?

Not unless they ran out of bullets and were young weedy conscripts that were afraid; Judo over-relies on throws which aren't going to be the only techniques used in a fight.... the lack of striking techniques in a combat scenario will shorten your life expectancy.

A squad of men is about 13 people and unless you're built like a tank or highly skilled; the odds are stacked against you. An Art that has a variety of techniques will increase your chances.

Go on the weekends. If there are no classes on the weekends, ask for privates.

You purposely haven't mentioned Portmarnock. I gave you the number to ring. Whats your excuse?

Hi Ug lee, I researched bray and Massan Ghorbhanni doesn't teach at the weekend... Looking at the rota he has I'm suprised he has a chance to rest at all. I plan on calling him when I can to arrange if he has any experienced students whom are willing to teach closer to me if I can find somewhere convenient.

Portmanknock has no details at all that I have been able to find, so I'm a little sceptical.

Combat Hapkido which is what is based there from what I have been told is almost a different martial Art entirely to Hapkido itself... I'd prefer something that is recognised by the International H.K.D Federation, KHF or World Hapkido Association

The guy I work with says he trained with one of Eugene's instructors in the Portmarnock Sports Centre. The instructors name is Daniel and his number is 0877612195.

Have fun. :D

I already posted the phone number. Why don't you make a call?

Excuse No 1: Combat Hapkido is not real Hapkido.
    Excuse No 2: (You fill in the rest,,,,,,,,,,,,,)

Why don't you at least call the "real" Hapkido instructor in Bray for privates?

Excuse No 1: I am sure he is too busy.
    Excuse No 2: (Type here)

The amazing thing is that you have such strong opinions about Hapkido an you have never even done one class.

I already posted the phone number. Why don't you make a call?

The amazing thing is that you have such strong opinions about Hapkido an you have never even done one class.

I will give them a call, I never said I wouldn't but you haven't noticed that Baruch posted he agrees that transport to what is already available is very limited and this is the problem along with location... He's in Korea and he has a school/s less than two blocks away from his house.

I was in London recently on business and took part in a class, Changs Hapkido on Tudor Street in the city of london... If I lived there, I'd be able to take the underground providing the lines weren't halted for work like they are currently.

I will give them a call, I never said I wouldn't but you haven't noticed that Baruch posted he agrees that transport to what is already available is very limited and this is the problem along with location... He's in Korea and he has a school/s less than two blocks away from his house.

I was in London recently on business and took part in a class, Changs Hapkido on Tudor Street in the city of london... If I lived there, I'd be able to take the underground providing the lines weren't halted for work like they are currently.

Tell you what. Get off the internet now and ring them immediately.

A squad of men is about 13 people and unless you're built like a tank or highly skilled; the odds are stacked against you. An Art that has a variety of techniques will increase your chances.

one on thirteen? Are you saying that knowing a bunch of jump kicks and wristlocks is going the increase the amount of time it will take thirteen soldiers to stomp you into a puddle of goo in comparison to judo?

Ever hear the phrase "a hundred blades, none of them sharp"? that describes arts like hapkido perfectly. A machete is more "limited" than a swiss army knife until you need to something to stop people from killing you :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

DaBrow, are you trolling?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Ah come on he's obviously pulling the piss out of you all now.

Has to be, well played up till now

Yup, this is a pain in the hole.

OP if you want this thread unlocked PM with a very good reason.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement