Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

99 Golf conking out

• 09-01-2010 12:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Hi ive a 99 golf (think its a mk 4) and since last week it cuts out if i dont keep the revs up when i first start it (morning ,noon,night). When it warms up after a few mins it usually wont cut out but the revs seem to be lower than usual.

Originally the revs would be just under 1000 rpm but lately there down around 500.When i have the headlights or heater on when i park up or slow down to around the revs above lights dim and heaters slow down.

Any idea what this could be battery,altenator ???

Thanks in advance for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

you just need to get the throttle body cleaned out with intake cleaner? Very common problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Am experiencing the exact same problem in a polo. Have seen another few threads where people are also experiencing same trouble in Polo's so something leads me to believe it may be a common enough problem in VW's. I have to keep pedal in a bit for the first 5 minutes after I start car, maybe a bit more in this cool weather. If I let my foot off car cuts out. At first I was of the opinion this might be an automatic choke related problem and it may require adjustment but after reading an excellent thread in a UK Polo owners club website it would appear that the problem is related to a build up of dirt in carb. Got carb cleaner in Halfords yesterday evening and gonna attack cleaning carb tomorrow. Shouldn't be too big a job I reckon. A matter of lifting of air filter and housing and cleaning moving parts I see. Will give it a go anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah easy enough, remove air filter housing and keep car revved between 2 and 3000 rpm and just spray carb cleaner into the throttle housing and also clean the gunk out of the air filter housing, this should be repeated every service...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

... after reading an excellent thread in a UK Polo owners club website ...

Any chance of a link? There seems to be lots of UK Polo owners sites. Thx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

polyfusion wrote: »
    Any chance of a link? There seems to be lots of UK Polo owners sites. Thx.

Hi polyfusion. Here is one link: -

http://www.cars-guide.com/volkswagen-forum/97-polo-14cl-choke-problem-t3999.html
    But I did see a tonne of other similar threads when I was browsing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    yeah easy enough, remove air filter housing and keep car revved between 2 and 3000 rpm and just spray carb cleaner into the throttle housing and also clean the gunk out of the air filter housing, this should be repeated every service...

Remove air filter housing, with engine OFF, use a clean rag and carb cleaner solution to remove as much deposit as you can. Then start engine.

Advertisement