Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connaught Rangers Cap Badge - real ?

• 09-01-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 23

hello guys, im new here as you tell !

I have a question, I saw the thread started by Dennismac on the Connaught Rangers but did'nt want to hijack his thread so here goes:

Does this look original to you? .....or repo ? (im not too good with these)

note the badge is damaged, (Slider removed)

52828.jpg

52828a.jpg

Many thanks in advance,
    Andy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Hi Andy,

thanks for posting and welcome to the forum!

Hopefully, one of the guys will be able to help you with this soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 winterchickens

Looks like a dinger to me.Too new. The slider is broke maybe to hide the fact that it was marked Gaunt. The early restrikes/dingers/duds/copies/fakes did not have the strings voided but the later ones did as did the originals. Most duds/dingers are restruck with this name. You can buy these at militaria fairs as dingers for a tenner or less.Another test is to gently move the crown back and forward a bit, if it does this easily it is usually suspect. The originals had better brass and the crown was more stiff to move. There are maybe 500 dingers to each original. If a dealer says he does not know if it is a copy or not leave it alone. Dealers do not buy what they dont know. If he says it is an original then you have some comeback. If and when you do buy a badge ask the other dealers at different tables if it is ok, they will usually put you straight. They dont like people bringing the militaria collecting fraternity into bad repute buy this type of hookah.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 andypants

many thanks for your replys Preusse / winterchickens

thanks for your taughts winterchickens ...... i havent bought it, but it is from a dealer alright, he has another one which i'll post pics of when i find them .... it seems to have more ware and tear to it, slider in place and does'nt seem to be as 'new looking' .....but as i say im no good with telling real from fake Cap badges

thanks again guys,
    Andy

Watch for GAUNT on the slider.
    Regards.
    Tom.

this one has some info on it:

"CONNAUGHT RANGERS ORIGINAL BRASS OR's CAP BADGE
    100% Original WW1 die struck brass metal example with slider fitting and strengthening loop to reverse of crown
    Badge measures 43mm in diameter"

to me it looks good, can't make out any maker's mark / GAUNT on the slider though...........your taughts?

• Advertisement

Sorry Andy, but I have to ask: are the last prictures your posted your own? I am asking because of the copyright photomark in the lower right corners. If they are not your own but from a website I would have to ask you to remove them but you may still link to the items website with the same questions.

Andy.
    The slider has some 'age' marks but not the badge. Would I buy it without holding it in my hand, no. If you want to buy something like this buy it at a militaria fair and ask the other dealers would they buy it as an original and do that before you pay for it. NEVER buy an image. A fool and his money are easily parted.
    Show the dealer my posts and ask him for his comments. Would he be willing to give you a written guarentee that it is original not that he THINKs it is an original but that it he guarentees it is. If he is willing to do that then you have some comeback. Should it turn out to be a dud you can post his written note here on the militaria forum if that is ok with the mods. Should you decide to buy it, bring it, and the note to the next fair and ask the lads at the tables about it.They will put you straight.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

had a look at one i have and i would not buy the first one and would most probably not buy the second. a dealer is the way to go. i get my ones from a dealer at the fairs in the Northstar Hotel opposite Connolly Station Dublin . i wouldn't be put off by a badge with "Gaunt" on it as i have an original CR badge with it on. buying badges off the net is not a good idea . as winterchicken said you will get a better idea from a dealer.

oh sorry Preusse about the pics, i didnt know those little icons were copyright photomarks - (pics removed)

thanks again guys for your opinions, and good advice - me thinks I shall do some more homework before I venture into this line of collecting ;)

Andy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Cap badges are a thing I would like to start collecting,so many regiments and variations between rank and officers,I would be inclined to side with the lads on this one,stick to a dealer if you can.There is countless restrikes on the market and I believe alot of these are coming out of southern England,how often does one see badges selling on flea bay week after week that are being sold as originals from the rarer harder to get regiments,no doubt some are fine.Check out the website below and you should find some answers

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/

• Advertisement

andypants wrote: »
    oh sorry Preusse about the pics, i didnt know those little icons were copyright photomarks - (pics removed)

thanks again guys for your opinions, and good advice - me thinks I shall do some more homework before I venture into this line of collecting ;)

Andy

Don't worry, Andy, that's why I pointed it out. ;)
    Next time, when in doubt, just link to the pics on the relevant website. This way we can follow the link and still see the pics but without the copyright issues.

And please continue to post pictures of your own collector's items. They are most welcome! Oh, and you can also post pictures of items that you want to buy. If you go to a dealer or a stand at a collector's fair somewhere just ask if you could take a picture of the items. Any genuine trader will have no problems letting you take pictures for clarification!

Advertisement