Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer Not Booting

• 09-01-2010 1:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I bashed into my desktop fairly hard this evening. The side I hit off is the side with the power-supply.

When I hit the power button on the machine now the fans start off spinning at a very high rate (this is normal), but they don't slow down (which isn't) and the computer doesn't boot up.

If I press and hold the power button to kill the machine and then hit the power button to turn it on again the fans spin very fast for two or three seconds then stop completely again. After a second or two pause they start spinning again at the high rate and again don't slow down and the computer fails to boot.

Is it completely fooked? Any iseas what I should do?

It's a dell vostro if it makes any difference...

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I would try removing the memory (RAM) modules and putting them back in again, in the off chance they became dislodged

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

yoyo wrote: »
    I would try removing the memory (RAM) modules and putting them back in again, in the off chance they became dislodged

Nick

Cool - I'll give that a lash...

What do they look like?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Cool - I'll give that a lash...

What do they look like?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Mainboard_with_DDR2-RAM.JPG

Look here, there are 2 clips, clip both modules out (there may be only one, or more even) and reinsert them until they "clip" back in ok

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭slowlydownwards

The first rule of fight club is: When you're bringing a lot of drunken, dancing people over to your house for a party, hide away your precious comp. :D:D:D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/31/Mainboard_with_DDR2-RAM.JPG

Look here, there are 2 clips, clip both modules out (there may be only one, or more even) and reinsert them until they "clip" back in ok

Nick

Brilliant - it's booting up again now, thanks a lot.

Slight problem though - it now gets to the dell screen and you can hear the hard disk whirring like it's starting up, then stopping, then whirring again.

After a couple of seconds I'm getting a black screen with

"Hard-disk drive failure

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup"

Hard disk fooked?

• Advertisement

Brilliant - it's booting up again now, thanks a lot.

Slight problem though - it now gets to the dell screen and you can hear the hard disk whirring like it's starting up, then stopping, then whirring again.

After a couple of seconds I'm getting a black screen with

"Hard-disk drive failure

Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter setup"

Hard disk fooked?

I'd say unfortunately the hard drive is broken aswell man :(. Best bet I would say is replace hard drive and don't allow computer to be attacked again ;)

Nick

I'd say unfortunately the hard drive is broken aswell man :(. Best bet I would say is replace hard drive and don't allow computer to be attacked again ;)

Nick

No bothers - the hard drive has been acting up for a couple of weeks anyway, not surprised to see it bite the bullet.

Thanks for your help anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah the ram trick is always handy :p

That's a shame about the HDD. Try taking it out and giving it a shake. It worked for me once, then you can get whatever you want off it.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Yeah the ram trick is always handy :p

That's a shame about the HDD. Try taking it out and giving it a shake. It worked for me once, then you can get whatever you want off it.

I'll hold onto it for a while since I've no place to store the stuff that's on it at the moment anyway.

I'll try giving it a shake though :pac:

Hope things are good with you by the way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'll hold onto it for a while since I've no place to store the stuff that's on it at the moment anyway.

I'll try giving it a shake though :pac:

Hope things are good with you by the way :)
    Era they ok. How's yourself? You after starting work yet? - I'm tempted to join ye ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement