Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sinks not emptying?

• 09-01-2010 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi guys, our sinks are not emptying in our toilets. im presuming that its after freezing water in the pipes somewhere. The bath emptied last night and the kitchen sink empties fine. Is there a way of solving this easily? i have tried pouring boiling water down the drain but this just filled up the relevant sink...
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Try heavily salted warm water (i mean HEAVILY salted).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

no joy with the heavily salted water... any other sugestions? or will i wait till it just thaws out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭items

Strange one, waste pipe's might have been partially blocked, water backed up and possibly froze.

yeah, its only the sinks in the bathroom and the ensuite? the rest are running fine

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

hi guys, our sinks are not emptying in our toilets. im presuming that its after freezing water in the pipes somewhere. The bath emptied last night and the kitchen sink empties fine. Is there a way of solving this easily? i have tried pouring boiling water down the drain but this just filled up the relevant sink...
    thanks in advance

boiling water at the outlet - or maybe a wire pushed in from the outlet outside if you can access it - that's where it's more likely to be frozen (assuming it is frozen).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

thanks in advance

A fan heater directed against the drain pipe outside should solve the problem. You may wish to inspect/heat the end of the pipe first and work backwards. Take precautions - stand on a dry surface and wear rubber gloves.

hi all, got the main bathroom sorted... boiling water pured over the pipe out side and wrapped a teatowl that had been soaked in the boiling water around it for a few mins. didn't work for the ensuite as yet, but i can try again tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭quinnthebin

hi all, got the main bathroom sorted... boiling water pured over the pipe out side and wrapped a teatowl that had been soaked in the boiling water around it for a few mins. didn't work for the ensuite as yet, but i can try again tomorrow

Glad boiling water worked. Have same problem myself but was afraid to chance boiling water it in case it'd do any damage to pipework. Now you've tested it out I can do the same - thanks :D

. . . . . only joking of course :)
    glad you're sorted

Advertisement